Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Pink_n_Fluffy

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 2:15am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I have had a little look to see if this kind of thread has been done before, I couldn't find anything. Profuse apologies if it has. :-//

It all started for me when I was at school - I think I must have been about thirteen or fourteen years old - so we're talking about 1987/1988 here.

The programme that started it all off for me was "A Bit Of Fry & Laurie". I was aware of "Happy Families" when it was first broadcast but my Mum wouldn't let me watch that for some reason. In fact, it's a wonder that she let me watch "A Bit Of Fry & Laurie" as I wasn't allowed to watch JUST anything on TV.

I remember thinking then how lovely & special Mr. Fry was & how he was destined for great things. In fact I couldn't decide whether to marry Mr. Fry or Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys, it was a hard decision for any young girl to make! :-//

I had a friend that I used to sit next to in my chemistry class & we both used to love "A Bit Of Fry & Laurie". We used to talk about it at great length in our break times & also when I used to go over to her house. Actually, I'm sure that I used to talk AT her in my chemistry class because I hated chemistry so much, but I usually got told off for talking.

I remember being horribly jealous when her Mum went to a book signing that Mr. Fry was doing. I think I got to see the signature page from afar - I don't think she let me touch it - when I was round at her house once, but I pretended that it was no big deal & was pretty nonchalent about the whole thing when actually I was pig sick!

When I was a lot younger, possibly about ten or eleven my Mum took me to see "Me and My Girl" when when we staying in London. It was quite a few years later that I discovered that Mr. Fry had had something to do with it when I found the program in the loft, I expect that my Mum has probably thrown it away now.

Love E.

TheElephant

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 2:47am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I suspect it was probably Alfresco, though I only very vaguely remember it.

I watched all of The Young Ones when it was first on, so I must have seen him on that. Maybe a bit of Saturday Live as well.

A Bit of Fry and Laurie would have been where it first sank in though.

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 4:10am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I am actually pretty new to Mr. Fry, at least comparatively speaking. I actually found Stephen through A Bit of Fry and Laurie, I guess. I actually had quite a crush on Hugh Laurie and was researching everything I could find on him, when I learned that he was an English comedian who started out with a partner named Stephen Fry (this was probably around September 2008). And I watched some of their videos on You Tube, and then took the DVD's out of the library. They were hilarious. I really do love ABOFAL, but it was still pretty much about Hugh. :-// Then, of course, I branched out to Jeeves & Wooster, and Peters Friends, and watching their interviews on You Tube. So I had some idea who Stephen was when someone told me that he was on Twitter (I had NO idea what Twitter was), and that he had tweeted about Hugh's performance on SNL. So, I came here, to this site to learn more about Stephen and Twitter (December 2008), and I joined Twitter to follow Stephen (but was afraid to join the forum X-D ). It was really through following Stephen, and seeing his tweets, and seeing him actually interacting with ordinary people, and how nice he was to everyone, that just grabbed me and pulled me right into his spell. So I am here because Twitter convinced me that he is a really sweet, moist, fluffy guy, and I want to learn more about him, and maybe become a moister, sweeter, fluffier person myself. X-D

gjhsu

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 4:45am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I'm a bit of a recent Stephen Fry addict.

I had seen a bit of Blackadder in high school, but saw the cast as a whole.

Then, a couple years ago, I caught a bit of QI on Youtube and sidereel (back when it was easy to find full-on episodes on both sites), found what a hilariously great show it is and decided to look into the man and found his two-part program on Manic Depression, which got me hooked on just how genuine and awesome the guy is. Then, I read Moab is My Washpot, which I find to be terribly therapeutic for my own life, and so on and so forth.

The rest, as they say, is fish filets.

My own little tribute to Mr. Fry on the back of my car:

eppie

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 4:57am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I think it was Blackadder Goes Forth. Blackadder is not exceedingly popular series in Korea, but my favorite internet critic mentioned it once. So I decided to watch it. II and the Third and Goes Forth...wait a minute, Melchett was always that cute? Why I didn't see that? -That it was.

Then I watched V for Vendetta.

Suddenly, the world was full of Mr. Fry's work. Anything I read of watch resulted to see him somewhere on the web. I know that's not a coincidence. In those days I was already Douglas Adams's fan. My friend loved Monty Python. We planned to make some, um, victorian thing. (I mean, we encountered Wilde.) We both loved Neil Gaiman's work. Another friend of mine started to watch Bones. And so on. Each time I googled for me of my friends, I met Stephen. Thus I tried to watch all the things.

And especially the idea of the second "Last chance to see" made me sob, and I think maybe that was the threshold. I really want to see it!

Nitro

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 5:06am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I am certain I came across Mr.Fry in some previous work, but I honestly can't remember what it was. As a semi-fan of Oscar Wilde's, a freind told me that a movie about him had been made and they liked it. So, I kind of grudgingly watched "Wilde" and thought Mr.Fry came about as close as a person can get to portraying Wilde. In fact, I wanted to watch it several times, and did. Each time I was impacted differently than before or noticed some subtle thing in the story that I'd missed. It's very difficult to sum up an entire life of anyone, famous or not, in an hour and a half but I think the crew did a good job of it though I, for some reason, think of Oscar as being a bit more passionate than he was portrayed ( more reserved ). Maybe that's an English-film thing? I don't know.

I saw Mr.Fry as a guest on Craig Ferguson one night and thought he handled himself really well. After that, I searched him on YouTube and it was his honesty and humility in interviews that I probably found attractive qualities. Then I found this forum, which I like, but I am probably less of a 'fan' than some other members here. No offense intended towards Mr.Fry or anyone else.

Really? Wow.

exoskeleton

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 5:14am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
someone beat me for being a total noooooooooob! do it! you can't do it!

I have an internet pal who discovered Stephen last year. she posted a lot about him, including some of his better tweets, and so I knew who he was. when I joined Twitter (because a lot of other internet people I knew were on it) I made Stephen my second follow. then sometime this January I recommended him as a good guy to follow on another site and someone directed me to his blog here. I felt silly mentioning him if I didn't even know very much about him, so I set to work learning more. to youtube! most accessible were QI episodes, and pretty soon I was setting into series F and catching up on previous series too. at the same time, I think some of my earliest viewing was also Wilde, SLotMD, and random interviews. I also read lots of articles and text interviews.
my favorite thing was how he got called intelligent. I honestly can't think of a non-political famous person in the US who who gets called intelligent. it doesn't matter whether he actually is intelligent, just the idea that he could represent that, I found it the coolest thing.

sockdolager.

Laur1991

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 8:40am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
someone beat me for being a total noooooooooob! do it! you can't do it!
lol no worries. My story's quite similar.

I was on a total "Whose line is it anyway" addiction a few months ago, and I was watching a whole bunch of clips of them on youtube. For some reason a clip of QI was on the related videos list, and I accidentally clicked on it. At first. I was like... uuummmm (Because I had never seen a show quite like it before) but watched it anyways. I thought the host was adorably English, so I looked him up on google. It just kind of snowballed from there!

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 9:36am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
This is a very hard question to answer as I can't remember not knowing about him. I suspect that my first real awareness would have been from Blackadder in the late 80s. I also had a massive interest in P.G. Wodehouse too, so when they made Jeeves and Wooster I just had to watch it. Then when I went to Uni I had a friend who was a big fan of ABoF&L and introduced me to that. And so on. My hubby was actually a bigger fan of QI than me from the instant it appeared, he loves bits of trivia and debunking myths you see.

But two things made me join the site - gadgets and tSLotMD. Not sure exactly how they are related except in my head X-D

Anyway, three cheers for the fabulous Mr Fry!

That would be me.

andrealein

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 10:04am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
First thing that I saw him in must have been Blackadder which our English teacher showed to us. I hated it. Because I didn't understand a word.
Then a few years ago a friend showed that very same show to me again and I didn't hate it at all - on the contrary: I liked it a lot and I also liked Stephen.
But it was just recently (not long before I joined the forum) that I really got into him. It started with A Bit Of Fry&Laurie videos on youtube that I somehow stumbled upon and then everything else I could get. I was so impressed by TSLOTMD and his interviews and, well... everything.

Peachy Keenan

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 10:16am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
Wow, that is one awesome licence plate, Gjhsu!

So... yeah, I'm a Frynewbie too, having just discovered his all-round loveliness earlier this year. However, I had known of Stephen for as long as I can remember. I knew he was Lord Melchett in Blackadder, knew he was in Wilde, saw The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film and A Bit of Fry and Laurie (a friend recommended I get the first series on DVD). But the awesomeness and obsession just didn't set in until I saw the book Stephen Fry in America. I'm a fan of "armchair travel" (being a huge devotee of Michael Palin) and Mum got it for me for my birthday, which was in February. Perfect timing actually, because I had literally The Week From Hell and needed some serious cheering up. Stephen managed to do that rather successfully and the love just grew from there!

Twittering @peachykeenan!

Lauz

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 11:06am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I must have seen him things when i was younger and watching Blackadder with my Dad but obviously wasn't a fan at that point. I guess i started becoming a fan after watching QI, i thought he was brilliant. I was aware of him from then on i guess and have now watched, read or listened to the majority of things he has done.

Help

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 11:27am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I was given MOAB for a birthday present, years ago.
Not very exciting
Gjhsu that's superb

speckledband

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 12:18pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
Blackadder goes fourth was my first glimpse of Stephen when i was 12/13 years old which must be 10 years ago
and i remember thinking "yup theres the man for me" which is pretty weird considering Melchett wasn't the most attractive character ever
but there we go! X-D

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 1:00pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I was given MOAB for a birthday present, years ago.
Not very exciting
Gjhsu that's superb
Since no on has asked any questions yet, I feel kind of bad singling this out, but, back up for a minute. X-D Someone gave you an autobiography of someone you didn't know or didn't have any interest in, and here you are? Or did you ask for the book? Actually, I think those in Great Britain had more exposure to Mr. Fry so probably had some idea of who he is. I am amused or interested to see that most of the people from America seem to have learned of Stephen from the internet.