Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 1:34pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I was brought up on Stephen Fry, my mum loves him and I guess my first memories of him are from watching Blackadder and ABOFAL with my parents as a kid.

Help

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 1:40pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I was given MOAB for a birthday present, years ago.
Not very exciting
Gjhsu that's superb
Since no on has asked any questions yet, I feel kind of bad singling this out, but, back up for a minute. X-D Someone gave you an autobiography of someone you didn't know or didn't have any interest in, and here you are? Or did you ask for the book? Actually, I think those in Great Britain had more exposure to Mr. Fry so probably had some idea of who he is. I am amused or interested to see that most of the people from America seem to have learned of Stephen from the internet.
Was a present from the parental unit or P-UNIT as I like to call them.
I loved and still love Carry On films and especially Kenneth Williams, in their eyes there was some kind of link between the two men and hence the present was purchased.
Once I'd read that and said I liked it, I was bought/given other books by his royal Fryness and then saw films/tv work that he had been in
Don't know if that explains it well enough?

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 2:08pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
Ah, it does. You had an interest in what we over here would call English comedy. I guess it is silly to call it that in England. X-D But the interest in comedy and comedians, does explain the book. Good work Mom and Dad. I'm glad they did it, or we wouldn't have your company as a Fluffette.

Soph

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 5:11pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
A couple years back, a friend recomended Fry & Laurie to me, because of my love for 80s British comedy. Shamefully, I didn't know of neither Stephen or Hugh, (really should of with QI and House) and didn't look them up or anything. So I was in the shop and I saw A Bit Of Fry & Laurie sitting there, and without any hesitation I picked up the first series. Which is very unlike me to buy a dvd that I hadn't seen anything of, heh. I stuck it on, I thought it was very fall off your chair funny. I was instantly drawn in by Stephen's charm, wit, his kindness and his unique use of words. I knew from that first episode that tthis man will always have a special place in my heart. ; ] So entirely lovely! I couldn't resist, I had to see more of him. I bought Moab and I couldn't put it down. It remains the one book I continuely read. From then on I've read most his works, seen most of his work and been completely infactuacted with him.

I'd previously watched Blackadder and The Young Ones from when I was little and I do remember them vaguely, the imagery. When I started watching Goes Fourth again, Lieutenant Georges voice reminded me of so much of my childhood, I remembered him so clearly. : ] Memories flood back.

Photobucket

Maxx England

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 5:52pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I've known about the old dear for years, can't remember when I first saw him on the box.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 6:31pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
Like a lot of Americans, I first became acquainted with him through Jeeves & Wooster. Everything escalated from there, and now following Stephen's career and reading Wodehouse are two of my greatest pleasures. And looking at Fry-A-Day ain't so bad, either.

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 7:04pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I saw the movie IQ and was smitten. I was 10 years old and adored his accent and his brainy character and much to my delight over the past 15 years I have found the brains to not only be a characters lines.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 8:57pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I became enamored with him on August 24, 1957. I asked for his autograph when he was twelve seconds old.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 9:31pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I became enamored with him on August 24, 1957. I asked for his autograph when he was twelve seconds old.
I have no doubt that our Mr. Fry would have been able to sign his name even at that tender age. How old were you at that time? X-D

exoskeleton

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 9:47pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I asked for his autograph when he was twelve seconds old.

THIS!!!!!!!!! caused more sustained laughter from me than I think I've produced in a week-- and I am a constant consumer of comedy. fantastic! X-D X-D X-D

sockdolager.

Rain Dog

Posted Fri May 22nd, 2009 10:27pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I have been aware of Stephen Fry for a long time, I remember how I used to watch A Bit of Fry & Laurie and some other series on tv before I started watching Monty Python and completely fell in love with British comedy. At the same time that I became crazy of all things Python, ABOFAL was repeated on tv and I taped every episode and found it even funnier than I had done before. A bit later I found the Jeeves & Wooster dvds from the library and fell in love with that show. I had been quite fond of the Fry & Laurie duo, also from watching Black Adder, and I thought they were both gorgeous, but it wasn't until I started reading Stephen's books (The Hippopotamus and The Liar were the first ones I got) and watching QI that I noticed what a beautiful, brilliant mind he has and fell in love with the whole package.

The first time I saw Stephen might have been in A Fish Called Wanda though. I have seen that film so many times since I was quite young, and I always forget that Stephen's in it. I know it, but every time I that short scene comes I shout "that's Stephen Fry!" with surprise and delight.

elTweeno

Posted Sat May 23rd, 2009 12:57am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
My earliest memory of hearing of him was as a kid, my mum getting me to sit still for an hour (major achievement for her) to watch the BAFTAs - and guess who was presenting?

I asked my mum about Stephen, cos I found him fascinating (I was quite young, probably still in middle school) and she told me about some of his work, and how much she admired him. As I grew up I sort of got more & more into stuff he did, and also discovered older stuff via youtube.

And now I'm working hard on getting my kid sister into his work - she adores ABOFAL and I've recently gotten her watching QI.

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

Nitro

Posted Sat May 23rd, 2009 6:50am Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I'm afraid you'd find the vast majority of Americans would NOT know who Stephen Fry is.

Me:"Hey Mike, ever hear of Stephen Fry?"
Mike:"Who?"
Me:"Mind if I quote you for the forum?"
Mike:"The what? Huh?"
Me:"Thank you!"

X-D Sorry, but I could ask every family member and friend and stranger for miles and miles and none would have a clue. Not. A. Clue.

Stephen needs a good marketing guru over here

Really? Wow.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat May 23rd, 2009 1:27pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I agree with you Nitro, it's not that Americans haven't seen Mr. Fry, it's that no one has told them that they have. X-D I had seen the Bones episodes with Stephen Fry sometime in 2007, and he even made a bit of an impression ("oh he reminds me of Rich [friend] with an English accent") at that time, but nothing further. He may be gaining in popularity with Twitter, but nothing earth-shattering.

I thought it was very fall off your chair funny. I was instantly drawn in by Stephen's charm, wit, his kindness and his unique use of words.
I was pretty sure that every single one of us would have different reasons or stories, and in fact have a different view of Stephen, but I think I pretty much feel the same way as you. The only thing I would add is "his intelligence" right before "his unique use of words."

exoskeleton

Posted Sat May 23rd, 2009 4:21pm Post subject: When & Where Did You First Discover The Adorable Mr. Fry
I'm pretty sure I had never seen his image before I went looking for it. I must have heard his voice narrating Harry Potter, but it's not often one would looking up the narrator for a film she's only seeing because her crazy fan family bought her a ticket.

my immediate family members know who he is because I've told them, but I can't think of anyone else who would have any idea...that one girl who knew the book The Liar. oh, and that other girl I saw *walking* with her face in Making History, but I didn't stop her as she seemed engrossed.

so you can understand why my first internal responses when my friend was mentioning Stephen were like "why would I care about him? it's Hugh Laurie who ended up being famous, this guy must be like the loser one." I got over this one real quick. and way to only count American fame.

sockdolager.