Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Shyamz

Posted Sat Apr 4th, 2009 3:39pm Post subject: Where is my WEP...and my WPA-PSK!?
Hello, just a quick DS and computer related question

I was sent my new Nintendo DSi yesterday (which I spent much time saving for), but am having problems setting up its WiFi connection.

It seems to have no trouble finding my BT Home hub, but apparently it cannot be connected to using its current settings, and I must use the advanced set up.

Fine, but after putting my SSID code in (the number on the back of my router), I then need to put in my WEP key, or my WPA-PSK if I prefer.

...but where are they? I've looked in all my manuals and can't find any mention of these codes, even though I'm sure they're in my computer somewhere. Where should I look for them?

Hope all of that makes sense, as I'm not the best at explaining things in writing (or typing), and thanks for reading my question.

ClareBear

Posted Sat Apr 11th, 2009 8:34am Post subject: Where is my WEP...and my WPA-PSK!?
Your WEP key is your router's password...you should find it in your computer's internet/networking settings

Mac: System Prefs>Network
Win: fuck knows, now.

InitiallyMR

Posted Sat Apr 11th, 2009 6:02pm Post subject: Where is my WEP...and my WPA-PSK!?
WEP and WPA are types encryption key used by WiFi networks. They are settings stored in your WiFi router and are required in order to authenticate your devices when they try to access the router. So whilst your device may see the SSID the router will not allow two way communication until you can prove you have the authority to use the router. They exist so that other people can't use your WiFi without the proper permissions. Most routers will have a defult key which will probably be in your router manual. There are two variants of WEP - 32kb and 128kb they are both less secure than WPA, since there are tools easily available that can hack WEP. So if you are currently setup for WEP I suggest you change to WPA . The instructions for this will be in your router manual.

Shyamz

Posted Mon Apr 13th, 2009 3:09pm Post subject: Where is my WEP...and my WPA-PSK!?
Thanks peeps, I'll get onto that right away.

Himynameisstephen

Posted Mon Apr 13th, 2009 10:50pm Post subject: Where is my WEP...and my WPA-PSK!?
If you havent changed it the username and password should be:

username: admin
password: admin

Revenance

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 11:29pm Post subject: Where is my WEP...and my WPA-PSK!?
If you havent changed it the username and password should be:

username: admin
password: admin

If I remember rightly, you may be able to access your router by typing 192.168.1.1 into your URL bar. This should give you the GUI of your router, where you can enter the name and password. I have an older BT hub, and it shows the key straight away with no censoring or anything. This should be an easy way to get your key.