Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

really

Posted Sun Feb 18th, 2007 9:44pm Post subject: Which French structuralist?
In Moab Fry refers to a French structuralist thinker who enjoyed lying in pissoirs while being urinated on (if memory serves). I always assumed this must be Barthes, but of course I suppose it could also be Foucault. Does anybody know to whom he refers (and for that matter whence he got the information)?

really

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Feb 18th, 2007 10:54pm Post subject: Which French structuralist?
Sounds like a Foucauldian sort of pass-time...

Edit: added a hyphen. It seemed like the thing to add.

melampus

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 3:09am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
Yep, it's Michel Foucault.

Canzonett

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 9:05am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
Nice one, melampus. Source?

melampus

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 2:50am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
oooh, you've got me there! I can't give you a source, I'm afraid. Maybe you could trawl the internet?

I studied Foucault (amongst other things) at university and just sort of picked up this little piece of trivia. He's an interesting guy who wrote about the history of gender, queer theory, medicine, education, criminality, criminology... lots of stuff.

Sorry to be so unhelpful.

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 2:56am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
oooh, you've got me there! I can't give you a source, I'm afraid. Maybe you could trawl the internet?

I studied Foucault (amongst other things) at university and just sort of picked up this little piece of trivia. He's an interesting guy who wrote about the history of gender, queer theory, medicine, education, criminality, criminology... lots of stuff.

Sorry to be so unhelpful.

Well, yes... but that doesn't exactly verify the pissoir story.

melampus

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 6:07am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
The things I do for you!!

I have just spent a rather risky moment searching for 'Michel+Foucalt+pissing+' and so on in my public library! Apparently James Miller's book 'The Passion of Michel Foucault' (New York: Anchor 1994) spends some 200 pages detailing the man's personal tastes. But I cannot tell you for sure, because the said book is out on loan from my library -- could it be in yours?

Unfortunately my brain is full of useless (and unsourceable) trivia -- I know that Lord Castlereagh killed himself with a rusty penknife, pigeons are the only bird that can suck up water through their beak to drink, William III had blue pee, the hyena is more closely related to the cat family than the dog family (and some female hyenas have male genitalia), Roald Dahl kept a bit of his own bone (or was it cartilege?), extracted during an operation, in his study....

Worse still, I don't get 'QI' here, so I am unable to enjoy learning other useless knowledge.

But it would be interesting to know what other weird things people know... could this be the start of a new thread...?

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 6:17am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
The things I do for you!!

I have just spent a rather risky moment searching for 'Michel+Foucalt+pissing+' and so on in my public library! Apparently James Miller's book 'The Passion of Michel Foucault' (New York: Anchor 1994) spends some 200 pages detailing the man's personal tastes. But I cannot tell you for sure, because the said book is out on loan from my library -- could it be in yours?

If I interpret "yours" to mean "the library system of the University of Chicago" (which I technically no longer have any right to do, since I've graduated over a year ago), then most probably yes. Arnold Davidson, who is Foucault's English editor par excellence, is a prof at U of C; I took his class on Foucault's "History of Sexuality." But that library is way on the other side of town from me these days.

But it would be interesting to know what other weird things people know... could this be the start of a new thread...?

That's not a half bad idea, actually!

melampus

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 7:36am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
My library is the University of Tasmania. You will find us in the bottom right-hand corner of the small triangular island in the bottom right-hand corner of the average world map; just left of New Zealand.

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 8:16am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
My library is the University of Tasmania. You will find us in the bottom right-hand corner of the small triangular island in the bottom right-hand corner of the average world map; just left of New Zealand.

The Devil you say!

melampus

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 8:50am Post subject: Which French structuralist?
Oh no, we're all terribly pious down here. Especially during Easter.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2007 2:44pm Post subject: Which French structuralist?
In Moab Fry refers to a French structuralist thinker who enjoyed lying in pissoirs while being urinated on (if memory serves). I always assumed this must be Barthes, but of course I suppose it could also be Foucault. Does anybody know to whom he refers (and for that matter whence he got the information)?

really

Well, I mean, really!