Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Occy

Posted Sun Dec 2nd, 2007 11:54am Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
Well "Who Do You Think You Are?" was on TV here tonight - Ive seen it once before but this time Stephen - or rather his journey as splashed across my itty bitty tv (weevy?) - prompted me to do some research of my own.

I come from...came from...a large family...well of course I still come from it, but the family is not so big - 10 kids, 2 survived the holocaust - one being my grandfather - now that's a freaky story in itself...

The Yad Vashem website lists not only names but any info put up by family members.

I found, with mum and dads input, several family members who perished. I need some input from relatives in Israel - I'm in Australia - but I will wait til they aren't working or sleeping or whatever they're normally doing when it's daytime here. Once I get some more names i will be able to research further.

Lots of merchants in our family and a weaver - and I know there were shopkeepers etc all over shop - so to speak. It's the first step for - something I have been meaning to do for a while but have lacked the impetus to get of my inordinately large backside and actually do. I want to base my PhD - which i will do one day, on my family history somehow - if possible - otherwise it will be some boring drivel about Educational standards in History.

I'm new here so no one knows anything about me and I'm being somewhat personal, but meh - share and care. Anyway - hi

All I can do is thank Mr Fry for sparking the flame - what a better way to end my first post than by kissing some butt??

No - that is a sincere thank you, from the bottom of my cold cold heart...

I just can't do it properly, can I? X-D

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Dec 2nd, 2007 6:13pm Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
Occy,
wow.. it's great that you are finding out more about your family.
maybe you will find some living relatives, cousins and such, that you didn't know you had. and yes, i think that would be a great phd project. not that educational standards aren't riveting...

your dogs are cute.

Occy

Posted Sun Dec 2nd, 2007 8:47pm Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
banjo

We are a strange strange family - and we are by no means small in our extended family - seems mum is either related to or knows everyone in Israel. One day...

german shepherd and cute dont often go together X-D

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Dec 2nd, 2007 8:53pm Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
banjo

We are a strange strange family - and we are by no means small in our extended family - seems mum is either related to or knows everyone in Israel. One day...

german shepherd and cute dont often go together X-D

HAHA!! i've been known to say that baby snakes are cute.

my grandmother was one of 13 kids and she married my grandfather who was one of 12... so... yeah that side of my family is huge!!

my mom has researched her side a bit more successfully... her mom is cherokee and so some family stuff is listed in the rolls they took after they were forcibly moved across the country.

do you mean you want to visit israel one day?

mono

Posted Sun Dec 2nd, 2007 11:35pm Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
Just joined your forum after seeing your episode of 'Who Do You...'. Just bloody terrific! I see it has touched others who have far more personal stories to tell than I, a sixth generation Australian from bog Irish stock. Still, I say 'Mazel Tov', Stephen Fry.
Mono.

Occy

Posted Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 12:39am Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
I was born in Israel - have been there twice since - been in Aus for 22 years or so

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 2:26am Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
I was born in Israel - have been there twice since - been in Aus for 22 years or so

awesome! welcome to the forum.

Occy

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 9:45am Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
more to thank stephen for

searching for family names, I realised that my grandmother never put her family on there - so someone OS is going to do it while there are people who remember.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Dec 15th, 2007 8:30am Post subject: Who do *I* think *I* am?
Exploring my family tree comes to a dead end very quickly. My granddad is the illegitemate child of a professional football player. Only he and his best friend know who he is and my granddad a) has dementia and b) doesn't think I or my mum know. As for the best friend - what an embarrassing thing to ask behind your granddad's back.