Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ysabella

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 6:55am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
This show, about various well-known Brits looking at their family trees, featured Stephen Fry on one episode, and that episode is viewable in seven parts via YouTube:

Click for Part I

I watched it last night, and I really enjoyed it. Very moving and thought-provoking. It's kind of incredible that someone would share like this - I would be interested in other people's episodes.

ClareBear

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 7:08am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
It's all about the cloud factory.

Louise90

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 12:38am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Alas, I missed the Stephen Fry episode, so shall have to watch the YouTube clip. Moira Stewart's one was rather good! As I'm doing my family history myself, this programme proved to be a lot of help for me!

ysabella

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 8:16am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Whenever I look at this title I start singing ♫♪ "Mister Big Stuff...who do you think you are? Mister Big Stuff...you're never gonna get my love!" ♫♪

*exits, whistling*

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 8:42am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Stephen´s episode was a bit too close to home for me, as I recognised all the places he visited and streets he walked along in Vienna, so given the harrowing events he shared I don´t exactly feel like whistling when I see the title
(But I do wonder whether I happened to be back home at the same time as he roamed the city, I wish I had been sitting on that tram, or in that cafe - they even remembered him one year later when I asked the manager... )

Robert Lindsay´s episode was very good as well.

Qizz time: Does anyone know what the link between Robert Lindsay and Stephen Fry is

Phlizz

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 9:52am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Does anyone know what the link between Robert Lindsay and Stephen Fry is

Ooh! Ooh! Me sir, I know! they were both on the show "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Hmm, my guess would be that Robert Lindsay was in "Me and My Girl" that Mr Fry re-wrote the script for. Am I right?!

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 8:16am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Quite right, Phlizz - well done! X-D X-D X-D
(I just love this musical, lovely soundtrack... I was hoping to see it at the New Wimbledon Theatre, but unfortunately the tour was cancelled back in December I think... )

No prize to be won though, I hope you don´t mind

Secret Princess

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 11:20am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Woo I just saved it on my Youtube

I find it so interesting

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 7:14pm Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
I loved the series. It's really interesting and can be full of surprises. I liked the Jane Horrocks and Julian Clary episodes. Stephen's episode was good too.

Assuming direct control...

Bet

Posted Wed May 23rd, 2007 9:18pm Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
I saw the last part of Stephen Fry's programme again yesterday. When he meets the only Jewish survivor of the Slovak town, whose uncle was a special friend of Martin's, I am stunned every time I see it. That man, who has witnessed such misery, is so warm and cheerful. I am fascinated that they converse in German. I was in Vienna last October visiting friends on Zirkusgasse but did not get chance to pop over a couple of streets to see the plaque on Rembrandtstrasse. Seeing names in black and white or carved in stone - people whose story we know (or who are ones own great-grandparents, as in Stephen's case) really does have a powerful effect. I think this is a wonderful series but found so much of interest in Stephen Fry's family history. Gut gemacht!

Amoeba

Posted Wed May 23rd, 2007 10:05pm Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
I still haven't finished watching it, I am on Part 3. But its very interesting. It kinda got me interested in my families history as well and finally got me started working on the family tree my dad asked my to do a while ago.

Secret Princess

Posted Wed May 23rd, 2007 10:19pm Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
I watched it all yesterday on UKTV History. I was in tears

Britannicus

Posted Fri May 25th, 2007 3:07am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Sugar beets...oh the sugar beets. I had to chuckle when I saw that, that's what my grandfather's side of the family did/does for a living. Grew giant sugar beets and peas, I think, up in Idaho. My great uncle still sends some to us on occasion, as a reminder.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Britannicus

Posted Fri May 25th, 2007 3:52am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
That is a...very amazing program... It was so moving to see all those names and dates come up off the paper and transform into the stories of real people. It was upsetting to watch. I'm glad Mr. Fry was willing to share this though.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Just_a_Norwegian

Posted Sat May 26th, 2007 1:58am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
He seemed to have a really nice familly too... His mum was a cute ol' lady...