Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Britannicus

Posted Sat May 26th, 2007 2:07am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
That was so sweet when she got to see her old home, and the spot where that old picture had been taken.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

melampus

Posted Wed Nov 7th, 2007 5:19am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Dear All,

Excuse bumping an old thread, but I wanted to let Australian viewers know that SBS is planning to broadcast this series 'later in the year', whatever that means. I saw the promo on tv last night. The series will include the original stories (ie Stephen's), plus those of some prominent Australians researching their heritage.

Happy viewing!

TOKYOGAL87

Posted Sun Nov 18th, 2007 11:34pm Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
i saw this programe too really nice and moving, i'd like to do th same thing. unfortunaely i haven't had the opportunity to grow up with my grandparents and uncles and aunties, i barely know them

melampus

Posted Thu Nov 29th, 2007 3:16am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Attention Australians:

I realise everyone's already seen it on YouTube etc, but in case you want to watch WDYTYA not cut into 9 minute episodes, please note that Stephen's story will be the first (black) cab off the rank in the series, being broadcast on SBS this Sunday, December 2, at 7:30 pm.

Interesting that SBS chose this as the first one -- I don't think it was the first in the series when it originally screened in the UK (???) Maybe they wanted a strong beginning, and who could blame them. Stephen's story is very powerful.

ClareBear

Posted Thu Nov 29th, 2007 6:26am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
You'll see my town on it.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Nov 29th, 2007 8:16am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
You´ll see MY town on it, too
And my regular café (I generously gave up my table for Stephen as I happened to live in the UK at the time X-D but I had a nice pot of tea with milk only last Tuesday, sitting at this very table ...)

paulwright

Posted Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 9:51am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Just come back from Surany where Stephen's family came from. The Jewish gentleman he met is/was the local German teacher, hence them talking in German. Ironic really.

The museum/synagoge is still being developed, though there are looking for extra (EU) funding. It is now a museum about all of Surany, not just the Jewish families, and has a beautiful memorial in it. The curator was good enough to open it up for us on a Sunday because he was a friend of our host.

Surany was in Hungary until the end of the second world war, when it was given to Slovakia - it is about 30km from the current border. There are still tensions there about the number of Hungarians and Roma in the town. Sad that they have not yet resolved ethnic tensions.

The sugar factory is now completely disused, and may be knocked down in the next year or 2. Our hosts live next door to it, which was rather surprising. Outside are just fields of Beets, and the place looks a lot like Lincolnshire. Probably it helped his family to adjust to being in the UK.

fryfan20

Posted Sun Aug 24th, 2008 9:51pm Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
seen it not that long ago on youtube ( I am a bit behind on Stephen land) and loved it.

when he cried i just wanted to hug and comfort him.

I am what I am

JSKanga84

Posted Mon Aug 25th, 2008 3:25am Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
I had to watch it on youtube, which I was grateful to see it at all, but a strange thing occurred to me. I think his maternal grandfather is about the same age as my maternal grandfather and I'm something like 30 years younger than he is.
Life's a weird sort of thing.

jcevans

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 9:54pm Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and have been into every dirty corner of the www interframe looking for this program but, alas, to no avail!
I would be so pleased if anyone knows any links or could send it through to me.
Thanks!

(The YouTube links are long since dead)[/b]

banai

Posted Wed Feb 11th, 2009 10:08pm Post subject: Who Do You Think You Are?
I finally watched Stephen's episode last month and I have a comment and a question, and nowhere else on the Internet to put them where them have a chance of doing any good.

First, the comment. I've only seen a few other episodes of the show, but it looks to me like most of the people on this show just show up and someone else has already done the research for them; sometimes they're shown the book and are allowed to turn the pages "looking" for the records. On the other hand, it looked to me like Stephen was doing the research himself, maybe with a little help along the way. I thought that was nice. (However, I can certainly understand why not everyone would want to do all the work themselves.)

WDYTYA is more about family history than genealogy. Genealogy is about finding documents and tracing as far back (and sometimes as far sideways) in a family as possible. Family history, on the other hand, is about finding the stories. WDYTYA would be boring to watch if it was just about genealogy. (I do genealogy research. I spend most of my research time staring at microfilm readers or searching online web sites -- fun for me, but boring for TV.)

That being said, the question that has been bugging me since I saw the episode is, did Stephen follow up with the people who submitted the Pages of Testimony on the Yad Vashem web site? I checked myself and saw that most of the PoTs were submitted by relatives of the Lamm family. They may be Tobias's family and not relatives of Stephen's, but they knew that the family existed, knew their names, etc. So even if they're not his relatives, they might know more about the Lamm family, which would be what family history research is all about.

Just curious. I don't like leaving avenues of research unchecked, especially when there are so many brick walls in genealogy.