Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Hrh Fish

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 5:06am Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
Hi guys. Can anyone answer this one for me? I do open mike nights and I am currently working on a part of my routine. I have searched online but can't find who actually coined the saying. I would be interested to know what that person made of their life to come out with that saying. Was it an intellectual giant or a lavatory attendant? I recall that Mr.Fry didn't particularly enjoy his school life. I hated mine and most people I talk to feel the same. I'd also like to announce that I am no longer a virgin on this site as this is my first post. Please be gentle with me!!

exoskeleton

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 5:38am Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
I just read that as you wanted to announce you're no longer a virgin on this site as opposed to announcing it in some other venue! X-D

I have no idea who said that. who could possibly agree with such a ludicrous idea, really? in school people are constantly bossing you around yet expecting responsibility in return.

sockdolager.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 12:02pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
I look back on my childhood with sadness and resignation. It is likely that the author of the dread phrase is now dead. This is unfortunate, I would very much like to have been able to display my disagreement with him with the aid of a foot long iron bar I have in my toolbox, rattling a merry tattoo upon his head.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 12:57pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
I just read that as you wanted to announce you're no longer a virgin on this site as opposed to announcing it in some other venue! X-D

I'm sorry this made me X-D X-D X-D .

I think school days would be the best time of a person's life if there weren't other people around making them tough on you.

ratoutofhell

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 1:29pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
I look back on my childhood with sadness and resignation. It is likely that the author of the dread phrase is now dead. This is unfortunate, I would very much like to have been able to display my disagreement with him with the aid of a foot long iron bar I have in my toolbox, rattling a merry tattoo upon his head.

Couldn't agree more.

Maybe there are people who have a great time at school and then it's all downhill... but I find it a little hard to believe.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

gadgetgirl

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 1:32pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
Well I certainly didn't say it. Did have some good times, but also had some very horrible ones and I've had a lots more better days since.

That would be me.

PamJH

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 2:31pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
Well I certainly didn't say it. Did have some good times, but also had some very horrible ones and I've had a lots more better days since.

Have to agree here. And I do think that saying is ancient. My grandmother used to say that years and years ago in reference to something someone said to her when she was young. I don't know if you'll ever find the originator of that saying.

Good luck with your routine, though.

Hrh Fish

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 2:55am Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
I have had a bit of a result on this and thought I would post up a possible answer. John Dighton was a play write and wrote the play for TV called The best days of your life in 1947. The play is based upon a boys school and girls school merging just after the war. It was released as an Ealing comedy in 1950 starring Margret Rutherford and Joyce Grenfell. This is I guess where the phrase comes from as the film was quite popular in it's day. I don't know if the saying was in use before this and influenced Dighton to use it as a title for his play. There you go.

Katrina

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 5:24am Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
Maybe there are people who have a great time at school and then it's all downhill... but I find it a little hard to believe.

Oh, believe me, they're there! They, as my dad likes to say, "won the first leg of life's relay race."

I had a good time in high school (as in, I was popular and everything ), and I'm having a great time in college, but it would be pretty sad if this was the best time of my life.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

MaryK

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 5:01pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
No offense to the poster above me, but my dear comedian, have you considered the possibility it might have been somebody who peaked early or had little expectation beyond marrying a supermodel and dying who said that school days are the best years of one's life?

I can think of some real life examples: when I was in high school about ten years ago, there was this horrible cow whom I couldn't stand called Sarah. Sarah was popular at school but Sarah was also very much indulged by her rich parents (they'd often give her very expensive things like her own car to make up for the fact that they almost never spent any time with her) and Sarah used to like to party, get high, and sleep with any boy she came across. Sarah, bluntly, was also a raging bitch with a cruel streak who thought it was funny to humiliate and harass people both inside school and out. She used to come after me, and though I admit I was a bit of an oddball (I used to be covered head to toe in paint and drawing materials 24/7) it was no excuse for some of her nastier escapades: thankfully one day I'd had enough and I decked her.

There was also A.J. A.J. had the heart of a chauvanistic pig and treated girls accordingly: he wasn't even the big man on campus but rather sleazily would take the "table scraps" of the big man at parties. His main claim to fame was he was a lineman on the (American) football team: he was too dim to realize the coach was fattening him up like a prized pig so he could win more games.

The point of all this? To show what happened to these people. Neither of them payed much attention to school or getting good grades; I did and now I have a degree that can entitle me to a very healthy salary. A.J., on the other hand, now has a record for distributing drugs to minors and could only manage to learn enough at a community college to run his father's landscaping business. No woman will touch him because he's still a sexist and he's obese, he even still has acne, and though he's only 28, he is going bald. The only girl he's getting with now is a well worn DVD of "Girls Gone Wild." Sarah's marks at the end of school were so bad that the National Guard was the only place that would take her: the drill sergeant came down hard on her in basic and when she tried to sleep with her superior officer to manipulate him and get her way he turned around, zipped his pants, and said, "now be a good girl and get back to the barracks." To my sheer delight, she even got shipped off to Afghanistan and thereafter had to go to Iraq.

Sarah finally got her comeuppance and though many might feel sorry for her I do not. Even if what the officer did to her was questionable on ethical grounds I don't see it really from that standpoint: After I publicly beat the crap out of her, Sarah once tried to trick me into believing the captain of the basketball team liked me and was planning to get me to sleep with him so she could take pictures and post them on the web. Thankfully I didn't take the bait, but when I found out what her original plan was years later it made me sick to my stomach: I did have feelings for that boy and she knew it. What happened to her if you ask me is justice being done.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 6:10pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
Speaking as a retired headteacher the world is a hard place for children of school age so it's unlikely (I hope) to be the best time.

Grown-ups nowadays put so much pressure on children that they forget that childhood is supposed to be a nice time; a time for fun & no pressure; a time when you are looked after & cared for.

Maybe schools would be better places if they looked to that saying & tried to make sure they proved it true!

I have a cunning plan!

Hrh Fish

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 6:24pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
Boiler 12 and Mary K

What you both say validates what I say in my routine. If you are lucky enough to be popular and enjoy school isn't it a sad thing to say.

BOILER 12
Being popular is hard work. More now than ever. You have too have the right fashion accessories, the right gadgets IE. mobile phones, i-pods, video games. Be up with the latest music and films. etc,etc. It's the peer pressure thing to be accepted in your clicks. The only thing is you loose your own identity and kids now are afraid of being individuals. This is why I find pop music so bland. They all sound the same. It's like the old joke a kid gets a tattoo and his parents go spare. He proudly show's them the tattoo which say's 'individual'. His Dad asks why did you have that tattoo son? The lad replies 'cos all my mates have got it! When I was at school I did my own thing. OK you get stick for it but I think it is far cooler to set trends than to follow 'em.
Out of curiosity have you asked that guy out yet you mention in the annoying little things post?

Mary K
Like yourself I was bullied but learned to take care of myself. I had some nasty experiences in school and a few good ones. For most of the rat race who get married and get a mortgage look on school memories with fondness.

The thing is with school you are stuck with the people you go to school with and have to make the best of it.

After you leave school you can choose your own friends and career. If you don't like your job you can change it.

The point in my routine I make is school conditions you to be part of the system. They start to grind your idealism out of you. It brain washes people in to the inevitability of marriage and the mortgage. The establishment does not like original thinkers. They do not want the Status quo to be upset. The system teaches you to know your own place.

I am in my 40's now and the best time of my life so far was 30-40. I have lived a bit of a Bohemian life style. I am lucky enough to do what I enjoy for a living. I haven't married out of choice. I've turned 3 proposals down. In your 30's you've learned about the wrinkles in life and know all the pit falls so you can enjoy life more. I went to more parties during my 30-s than at any other time in my life. I have a nice circle of friends now and I am relatively content with my lot. Hopefully it isn't over yet and there is still more to come.

Boiler 12 is still learning about life like we all was at school and university so you don't sit back and appreciate what you've got then because you are trying to better yourself and still learning how to cope with new experiences.

OK some people do peak early but ultimately life is what you make of it.

Nitro

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 7:22pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
Not sure, but maybe what the author of that quote meant was that it's a time in ones life when you aren't stressed out by bills, finding a decent job, or otherwise generally dealing with Adult Responsibilities & Stressors.

For all the meanness that people, popular or not, inflict on others or suffer from during school years, , it is a time in life when you are relatively free of adult worries like paying the rent, having to do the grocery shopping, dealing with dumb bosses etc etc.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 9:40pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
Not sure, but maybe what the author of that quote meant was that it's a time in ones life when you aren't stressed out by bills, finding a decent job, or otherwise generally dealing with Adult Responsibilities & Stressors.

For all the meanness that people, popular or not, inflict on others or suffer from during school years, , it is a time in life when you are relatively free of adult worries like paying the rent, having to do the grocery shopping, dealing with dumb bosses etc etc.

This sounds about right.

Hrh Fish

Posted Fri Apr 24th, 2009 5:47pm Post subject: Who said schooldays are the best days of your life?
NITRO

If all some people worry about is paying rent and grocery shopping they haven't got much of a life in the first place !!