Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gadgetgirl

Posted Sat Feb 14th, 2009 12:32am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
Sir PTerry Pratchett.

That would be me.

canuckuk

Posted Sun Feb 15th, 2009 8:52am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
I may be opening a rather large tin of worms here, but charming as they are, it is my view that the American guests simply don't lend themselves to the occasion that is QI.

I watched the extended version last night (perhaps this may explain my rant, as I carried on watching telly until the wee smalls). As I say, probably very funny in any other context, it somehow didn't work.

Generally, with maybe the exception of Gyles Brandreth, who appears to have confused his engagement on QI with an after dinner speech, the Guests are so adorably funny you've added them to your Christmas list before the show has reached the closing theme tune.

So I think it's worth highlighting this for the American Petition. If Steve Martin or Robin Williams had been a member of Monty Python's Flying Circus would it have been as popular in the States? X

Forest

Posted Sun Feb 15th, 2009 11:34am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
Brilliant! I seem to recall posting on there that I'd like to see "That black American whose name I can never remember" - and there he was! REGINALD D. HUNTER!
And he was bloody funny - just as I suspected!

PamJH

Posted Sun Feb 15th, 2009 3:04pm Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
I may be opening a rather large tin of worms here, but charming as they are, it is my view that the American guests simply don't lend themselves to the occasion that is QI.

At least American guests are charming - thanks for that.

The only American I've ever seen on the show (I can only see snippets on YouTube) is a guy named Rich whose last name I can't remember right now. He appeared to get into the spirit of things and was very funny. Perhaps an American guest has to be more like him, with a dry sense of humor? In that case, Robin Williams and Steve Martin probably wouldn't be quite right because their comedy is so physical. Both men are hilarious, but I can see your point. That's why I suggested Drew Carey and Tina Fey a while ago. They would seem to fit in better.

At any rate, it's a wonderful show and I wish I could see it here.

CJLFry

Posted Mon Feb 16th, 2009 2:14am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?

Alan Davies really feels he's indispensable now, you can tell from that episode and many others.
He knows he doesn't have to try any more. All he has to do is do a stupid mime or pull a stupid face and people laugh.
He rides roughshod over every other guest's jokes and stories, to such an extent that there have been several occasions when I've completely missed something someone was trying to say, or when a probably very funny story gets forgotten about, when there might be a lot of people wanting to hear it. Even Stephen's stories aren't safe from him!

I'm sick of hearing his deliberately bad Mexican accent several times in every series for often no obvious reason, the Welsh chip on his shoulder when he isn't even Welsh, and I swear if he leaps in at the start of a question to rattle of a list of colours/places/animals/anything to try and lazily stumble upon the answer to a question one more time (e.g: "Red! Yellow! Blue! Green! Orange!" AAArrrrrrrrrrr!!! Shut Up!) I will go Pete and Dud on his arse and break into the studio and kick his stupid smug face all the way back to Leyton!!!!

100% agree.... there must be more of us....

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 1:01am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?

At least American guests are charming - thanks for that.

The only American I've ever seen on the show (I can only see snippets on YouTube) is a guy named Rich whose last name I can't remember right now. He appeared to get into the spirit of things and was very funny. Perhaps an American guest has to be more like him, with a dry sense of humor? In that case, Robin Williams and Steve Martin probably wouldn't be quite right because their comedy is so physical. Both men are hilarious, but I can see your point. That's why I suggested Drew Carey and Tina Fey a while ago. They would seem to fit in better.

At any rate, it's a wonderful show and I wish I could see it here.

Yes, snobbery is alive and well. I think Lewis Black would do well on QI. How about Bill Murray?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 2:55am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
I miss Bill Bailey, funniest guy on the show.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PamJH

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 5:05am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
I think Lewis Black would do well on QI. How about Bill Murray?

I hadn't thought about Bill Murray. I would like to have seen the late great George Carlin on the show, too. Jon Lovitz might be a good choice as well.

CJLFry

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 11:58am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
[quote="Tobias Monk"][quote="PamJH"]I may be opening a rather large tin of worms here, but charming as they are, it is my view that the American guests simply don't lend themselves to the occasion that is QI.

I think Reg D. Hunter is really funny, and Rich Hall too - they both share a dry sense of humour, and the "you English are so weird" banter raises a chuckle.

gadgetgirl

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 1:31pm Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
I'm a fan of both Rich Hall (loved the fishing show) and Reginald D Hunter and thought they were good (particularly Reg) so I'm a little surprised at the comments.

That would be me.

fish_chip

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 11:35am Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
Am I the only one who wants to see Miranda Richardson on QI?

possibly in the H series, in an episode called "HEADS (off)"

Benjamin

Posted Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 7:45pm Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
I miss Bill Bailey, funniest guy on the show.

I think Bill Bailey has retired altogether from the world of panel shows, including QI, unfortunately. Buzzcocks seems to have done a fairly thorough job of putting him off.

As for who I'd like to see on the show, I think it would be nice to continue in the still relatively unexplored vein of inviting guests who aren't necessarily professional comedians,or related to that industry. Pam Ayres springs to mind as having been particularly wonderful, and she held her own against some more boisterous personalities quite impressively.

The name of the show is 'Quite Interesting', and it does seem as though genuine grey matter is overlooked on occasion (a recent example being Ben Miller's genuinely 'quite interesting' attempt to explain the Higgs' Boson). I'd rather be periodically amused and intrigued than spend an entire episode in stitches, which tends to happen anyway. Miriam Morgolyes, Michael Palin, Harry Hill (yes - Harry Hill), and Miranda Richardson would all make good panelists, in my humblest of onions.

I think my ideal panel would happen in series 'R' (for resurrection); Oscar Wilde, Frank Zappa and Noël Coward. Louis XIV can replace Alan for that show.

Male heavy, but oh the hilarity which would ensue in the crossfire.

Incidentally: ooh, first post and all that. Hello, everyone. My name is... Benjamin.

Took me half a pint of Murphy's to write all that.

I'm a histrionic, holistic, herculean halibut.

CLICK TO SEE MY BRAINS.

canuckuk

Posted Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 11:39pm Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
How about Tony Robinson and perhaps Phil from Time Team?

I would really like to see Cement Freud. Since the loss of John Mortimer, I've been feeling we should see more of our great senior raconteurs. Could you imagine Peter Ustinov on QI? X

Rain Dog

Posted Sat Mar 7th, 2009 2:48pm Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
I'd love to see Angus Deayton on QI

Help

Posted Sat Mar 7th, 2009 2:53pm Post subject: Who should be guests on "QI"?
I'd hate to state the obvious but, James May?