Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Leaky Hart

Posted Sun Nov 14th, 2010 11:34am Post subject: Why do we join.......really? Go on ......be honest.

Amongst the myriad (and quite valid) reasons we put forward for joining this forum, isn't one of the foremost the miniscule and quite vain hope that one day we will post something witty or profound (hopefully both) enough to attract the attention of the man himself, or at least one of his minions and be singled out for personal attention? My hands up. I'm new around here and the more I look around, the more I doubt the likelihood, but it's a lovely thought isn't it?
Imagine bringing that one to morning tea.
In the meantime we must be content with trying to entertain and amuse each other: not an ignoble pursuit by any measure.
Thanks for having me.

Nothing

Posted Mon Nov 15th, 2010 12:24pm Post subject: Why do we join.......really? Go on ......be honest.

I totally agree with you. I think it's a very nice, but far-fetched, thought that Stephen Fry could actually be sifting through every single forum thread each and every day and enjoying our musings as we do his. But, I think we all have enough of a grip on reality to know it's not happening. In any case, it's still a great place to spill your brains and have them picked over. Some are polite about it, some are quite ruthless. I've found some really funny people on here and some I wish I could hug all the time. Some try to play with you for their own satisfaction. I'm always glad to be of service :->

I know my triggers and avoid them at all costs,
but sometimes the gun just goes off in my face!

garyh

Inactive

Posted Fri Nov 26th, 2010 10:30pm Post subject: Why do we join.......really? Go on ......be honest.

Dear Leaky,

I think Stephen does troll through this forum, and, like the knowledge hungry whore he is, takes on board what is written on different topics.

If something did warrent his attention, as the site owner, or as a postee, he would join in the conversation. Maybe he uses another identity? And gives this forum a good seeing too on a daily basis.

I post on here because; I can have an intelligent conversation with people without it becoming a battle ground. I can also join in the discussions without being made to feel inferior. And, this forum is not over run with a mafia like admin that crawl into every nook and cranny. (You should see some of the things I've written)

To get the attention of such a busy man, I would write a letter or introduce him to something he knows nothing about, like, The lesser spotted Scrote Worbler.

Leaky, I am looking forward to talking with you.

Love light & Peace

Gazza xxxxx

I am, honestly...I am

Clive

Posted Sat Nov 27th, 2010 4:14pm Post subject: Why do we join.......really? Go on ......be honest.

I suppose I joined because I have a bit of an addiction to Internet forums, LOL - I used to post obsessively on a Captain Janeway/Seven of Nine forum but my interest in Star Trek has waned slightly of late. I've always loved Stephen Fry but didn't really discover his Internet presence until fairly recently and was delighted to discover this forum - there seem to be some lovely people here.

I absolutely, completely and vehemently refute any assertion that I might post so that Stephen Fry notices me.

P.S.

Psssst! Stephen! Stephen! I can type the first three verses of The Ballad of Reading Gaol without looking at the book!

He did not wear his scarlet coat
For blood and wine are red
And blood and wine were on his hands
When they found him with the dead
The poor dead woman whom he loved
And murdered in her bed.

He walked amongst the trial men
In a suit of shabby grey
A cricket cap was on his head
His step seemed light and gay
But never I saw a man who looked
So wistfully at the day.

Never I saw a man who looked
With such a wistful eye
Upon that little tent of blue
Which prisoners call the sky
And at every drifting cloud that went
With sails of silver by.

P.P.S

Seriously - do you think he really reads stuff on here on a regular basis? My God. I'm not even wearing my best shirt

In fact I'm not even wearing a shirt.

In fact I'm naked apart from my underpants.

Okay. I'm not even wearing underpants.

Don't worry - the heating in my flat is very good.

Overnight storage heaters. It only costs me £35 for all of my electricity, and there's no gas bill. And I never use the oven so really I'm laughing.

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

garyh

Inactive

Posted Sun Nov 28th, 2010 2:00am Post subject: Why do we join.......really? Go on ......be honest.

Merrycroft! Are you wearing morning suit and tie!?
Get back to your room and change! And by the way, try typing reading gaol with the left hand while standing on your head and juggling a great dane!!

Great post mate!

xxxx

I am, honestly...I am

Clive

Posted Sun Nov 28th, 2010 5:20pm Post subject: Why do we join.......really? Go on ......be honest.

Thanks garyh! I am now intrigued about the Lesser Spotted Scrote Warbler. What are its mating habits?

I am now in full morning suit and tie, smoking a Meershaum pipe, typing The Ballad of Reading Gaol with my feet and juggling two Jack Russell puppies, each of which is wearing its own morning suit and smoking its own Meershaum pipe.

Unfortunately I forgot to set up the webcam before I started.

You'll just have to take my word for it, Stephen

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

Nitro

Posted Mon Dec 6th, 2010 7:16pm Post subject: Why do we join.......really? Go on ......be honest.

I've been around here awhile and thinking back, I can honestly say, ( versus lieing ), I did not join the forum with any hopes of Mr.Fry reading a damn thing I have written or might write in the future. My reason for joining was an interest in, sad to say, some of the things a former member by the name of Pam was writing. I responded to one of her posts and we shot a few PM's back and forth. I really miss her being around but understand why she left. Same with the Elephant. But, thankfully, I met a few other members who have endured such as Tito and Maxx and michael and katysara. So, I'd say it was more the forum members themselves that pulled me in.

I came by the site when I was trying to figure out, via a search for two things; one, if our PBS had any further plans to air episodes of Kingdom. They have not, the bastards. And two, some background info on the making of 'Wilde' ( which I discovered later than its release date ).

So there.

Really? Wow.

Leaky Hart

Posted Tue Dec 7th, 2010 12:48pm Post subject: Why do we join.......really? Go on ......be honest.

Hi Zoo, Gazza, Mercy and Nitro....I've been interstate of late and thought I'd spotted a Lesser Spotted Scrote Warbler, but sadly upon consulting my Gould League Guide, discovered I'd mistaken the above for the far lesser known Great Bald Nad (mostly found outside its nest in the Antipodes because of the heat I expect). The Warbler, I read, is more likely to be spotted in the sanctuary of its Scrote habitat in the Northern Hemisphere, hence my confusion.
Anyhoo......how nice to have a response (several)to my post. I agree with Mercycroft in that it seems there are some very nice people here.
I picture Mercycroft in one of those sideshow type mirror setups which reproduces, into infinity, diminishing morning suit clad Jack Russells smoking their Meershaum pipes being juggled on the feet of a morning suit clad Mercycroft recumbent reading 'The Ballad of Reading Gaol' (a red A5 fabric bound edition with gold lettering if my image is to be complete) while smoking a Meershaum pipe etc......And this from a complete stranger..don'tcha love the Internet?
Nitro, I'm in Western Australia, and until last year(to my knowledge) Mr Fry was absent from our television screens. He reappeared in the 'America' series, and then QI. It took me a few viewings to get the hang of the whole QI format, but I'm an absolute convert. Thought I'd better mention QI since we are in that forum. I confess to placing my intial post here in error. I got excited and that was it I'm afraid (said the groom to the.....okAY! i'LL GO NOW! )
See ya!