Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

christy

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 1:59pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
This moron posing as a tv presenter should be sacked immediately.
Not only did he phone up Andrew Sachs with Russell Brand and leave offensive messages on his answerphone, (after which Russell Brand resigned - good for him), but now he has made homophobic statements on his radio show.
He is unfailingly obnoxious to his guests on his tv show, unless they're
a) male and more successful than him or
b) have very good lawyers.
Whenever you complain to the BBC about his pathetic behaviour they just write back saying it's his 'brand' of humour. Now when I last looked humour had to be funny. He gets paid a fortune, out of licence payers' fees.
I can't believe that Stephen Fry actually supported Ross (Toss) during the Andrew Sachs scandal saying that he was happy to help Ross 'off the naughty step'.As though he'd just made a slightly risk/e joke.

Ross actually said recently on his radio show that if someone's son wanted a Hannah Montana game they should put him up for adoption.
What a tosser.
Stephen should shun this bigot once and for all. After all, who wants to support a homophobic numbskull who enjoys annoying people and knows he can get away with it?
I wish we could withhold the part of the licence fee that's going to Ross.
He's neither created nor performed in anything. He hasn't produced any work of art or done anything which can be criticised except his obnoxious behaviour.
The BBC should sack him. Let him go to ITV. Let advertisers pay for him, rather than us fee payers, who have no choice in the matter, as not paying your TV licence is a criminal offence.

*****always in the gutter, but looking at the stars*****

Polednice

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 2:28pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
I almost daren't play devil's advocate here, but I don't really agree...

Personally, I feel as though I am fully aware of Ross's prejudices or lack thereof with regards to homosexuality, and I don't think that he's in the slightest bit homophobic. I think it's fair to say that, sometimes, his comments do stretch to what could sound bigoted, but we should be aware of the people from whom such comments come, and I'm confident that Ross in no way believes in the jokes he was making. It's the viewers who think that he does advocate such homophobia and agree with him for it that should be shunned. And, on the side, though people say he hasn't done much, I actually quite like his interviewing style every Friday evening. He hasn't offended me, and I think others should be less speedy in being offended. Though I accept I could be totally wrong as I don't truly know the man; none of us does!

christy

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 2:50pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
What is there to like about him?
No, of course we don't really 'know' him. Who does?
You don't have to know someone to find their behaviour ridiculous and unacceptable.
His interviewing 'style' is to talk incessantly and take the p*ss.
Compare him to Michael Parkinson. There's no comparison.
Toss is like Alan Partridge. The diference being that Partridge was fictional (thank goodness!)
He should have no place on the BBC.

Is he worth £6,000,000 pounds of licence fee?
Of course not.
Let him carry on his pathetic behaviour on commercial television where our money isn't being used to pay him.

If the BBC didn't think he had doen anything wrong, do you think they would have suspended him over the Andrew Sachs phone call?

Polednice

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 3:08pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
Well, for starters, the ability to find something likeable is entirely subjective. There is obviously a receptive audience around Ross, which is why he's still successful, even if lots of people also happen to hate him. There is no objectivity in these issues. And I'd also argue that you do need to know someone to properly judge if their behaviour is unacceptable; a racist joke to one person is an outlet of bigotry while to another it's steeped in irony targeted towards racists.

As for his interviewing style, it's yet another contentious issue. Indeed, Michael Parkinson was incredibly good, and of a different style; they're incomparable. However, Michael Parkinson did seem to get a bit of the 'old man chatting' about him towards the end... still, Ross isn't trying and failing to emulate Parkinson, he's doing something entirely different. I've never caught him talking incessantly, and he's certainly never taken the piss in a manner that suggests he actually dislikes a guest. It's just a sense of humour that a lot of people happen to enjoy.

As for the licence fee, there are loads of programmes on the BBC that are absolute crap and a waste of money, and I'm surprised that they're apparently successful enough to continue just as you're surprised that people like Ross. If something has a large audience, then it is worth the licence fee, even if we loathe it, because not everyone can pleased all of the time.

I also didn't suggest that the BBC - or anybody else - doesn't think he's ever done anything wrong. Of course he has; he's quite evidently over-stepped the mark before. However, while it is a potential danger of his comedy style, I don't think such occurrences are defining characteristics, nor should they condemn him entirely. We all make mistakes in moments of madness that we inevitably regret.

christy

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 3:30pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
I agree. We have every right to like or not like someone's humour, and the programmes put out by the BBC. My argument is that we have no choice about where our licence fee goes, and that Ross should have been sacked for the 'moments of madness' for which he has shown no regret. Has he actually apologised? Russell Brand had the sense to resign.

If I phoned up someone from my work and left messages like that I would be sacked, and rightly so. Even if I 'jokingly' made an 'ironic' homophobic remark out of context, at work, I certainly wouldn't be given a second chance. I don't think anyone should. Or are you paid to be rude to people, regardless of whether it can be described as 'a moment of madness'? That would be a get-out clause for any offensive behaviour in the workplace. Was it a mistake? Didn't he know what he was doing?

Of course I believe people should be forgiven for genuine mistakes and if they realise what they've done and apologise.

Help

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 3:38pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
I think the vast majority of people on here know that I adore Johnathan Ross, so it should come as no surprise to hear that I don't really agree.

Yet again it would seem the media is whipping up a storm in a tea cup.
Concerning the phone calls both Jonathan and Russell have apologised to Andrew and quite honestly it should be left at that.

From what I understand, only two people made a complaint against the show at the time of broadcast, the rest after it was reported in the press.
It’s a shame that these 30,000 + people who objected to Jonathan’s and Russell’s behaviour didn’t apply that same energy when it comes to the Government and the running of this country. Perhaps if they did, we wouldn’t be in the financial mess we’re currently wallowing in.
In fact, what an earth does the Government think they’re doing debating this in The Commons? Surely there are vastly more important issues that need resolving over a practical joke gone wrong?

I am fully aware of Ross's prejudices or lack thereof with regards to homosexuality, and I don't think that he's in the slightest bit homophobic.
Couldn't agree more!
I’m a frequent viewer of Jonathan’s Friday Show and I do enjoy his other programmes especially where he focuses on cult entertainment and Japanese culture. The odd juvenile prank aside, Jonathan is a talented entertainer and this incident should not be cause to remove him from the screen. If it does then I’m sure the BBC’s loss with be another channel’s gain.

christy

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 4:21pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
Jonathan Ross is a talented entertainer: How much we've enjoyed the songs he's written and sung, the films he's made, the stand up comedy he's performed, his dancing, the books he's written, oh, wait, no hang on, what has he done that is entertaining or requires talent?
He talks to other people about what they've done.

In the same way that the MPs are only now being made to own up to outrageous expenses, they claimed excessively because it's not actually illegal and they thought they could get away with it.
On the Gay Rights & Atheism website
http://gayandatheist.wordpress.com/
there's a transcript of Stephen Fry saying that the expenses row 'isn't the real issue'.
I agree, there is nothing wrong with MPs claiming reasonable expenses and there is nothing wrong with Jonathan Ross having his own show on television.

The real issue is that both are being given vast amounts of tax payers' money and we have no say in the matter.

Polednice

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 4:45pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
If the main issue boils down to the fact that we are given no choice in the matter of where our money goes to, do you suggest (ideally, as obviously this isn't practical) that there is a democratic system where we choose the programming? In such an instance, do you think that Jonathan Ross would be voted against by the majority? I'm not so sure; he may not be a prolific and well-loved writer or stand-up comedian, but some people do contribute to the world of entertainment simply by being 'TV or Radio Personalities'. As before, there are a lot of people who like his style and humour. As for the whole issue of a democratic system, it probably wouldn't work anyway because it may often be the case that the majority of people would vote against many programmes; our licence fees undoubtedly go towards lots of shows that are enjoyed only by a substantial minority. Thus, the whole idea of whether or not we get a choice in the matter is irrelevant; the system means we must place trust in the BBC and it does largely live up to the standards it sets out to achieve.

Therefore, the matter returns to whether or not Ross was wrong to say what he said, and I, along with Help, have set out the view that a lot of people do not think that he is homophobic, nor were his comments offensive. Jokes are outrageous sometimes, but he wasn't inciting hatred or being serious. The incident with Brand was indeed more serious, but that was dealt with how the industry saw fit, and I don't think we have a place to discuss further action, even if we are displeased. I think this occurrence of a poor joke in some people's opinions is just blown out of proportion.

christy

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 5:19pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
True, the BBC is generally trustworthy, and most MPs haven't claimed unreasonable expenses, and whilst I know that there can be no democratic voting system that would remove Jonathan Ross from tv (quite the opposite, as he has a large audience), the least the BBC could do to maintain that trust is either to sack their employee for 'gross misconduct' or reduce his vastly inflated salary.

Some MPs have left / been suspended over excessive/bogus claims for expenses, and rightly so.
I do still trust the BBC and some MPs.
However, if you are in a job that is essentially performing a public service, you should act like a public servant. Surely you should want to be setting a good example, not taking the piss?
On a happier note, have a look at a local MP's website:
http://www.alansimpson-ecohouse.co.uk/flash/eco.html he put his money where his mouth is and converted a derelict factory into an eco-house.

Nitro

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 6:26pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
I don't know of the show you guys are speaking of, but we have similar radio personalities over here.

One would be Rush Limbaugh. A shit stirrer for the far Right. He makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year preaching to his 'dittoheads' and speaks as if he's an authority on political-science. He's not. And his factual errors have been brought forward by many watch dog groups. I think a lot of people would say he's just an entertainer but over time, somehow, he began allowing himself to be set up as some sort of Republican 'leader'. And that's only now ( took 'em long enough! ) starting to be questioned by others in that party because Rush is a loud-mouthed blowhard. He embodies what many liberals think of when they hear the word 'Republican'. A self-indulgent, arrogant, and insensitive jackass X-D He's always down on gay marriage, gay this, gay that; is terrified of women in general, particularly those who don't take b.s. from men or are already in power; he insinuates things against minorities of color but has been smart enough not to come right out and call them all 'N(word)'s or call illlegal Hispanics some slur word. If he did, he'd be virtually done. But he can bash gays all day. Even then though, he's careful not say 'Fag'.

Another radio talk host, I forget the dudes name right now, who was fairly popular also made a living speaking to peoples fears and anxities and how 'special interest groups' are ruining good ol' America. Well, he made some comments about a team of female basketball players, mostly black, and the shit storm it incited caused him to be sacked.

I think the thing is that if they make outrageous statements about what is generally still considered acceptable bigotry ( attacking feminists, gay people, poor whites aka 'trailor trash' etc ) then they're good to go. They won't get a massive backlash against them. But the minute any of them go too far and say something blatantly racial, they're done. Even Rush walks that fine line.

In a way, they reflect back their listeners collective conscious ( with exceptions here and there ). And then there's the whole backlash going on the last few years against percieved 'political correctness' ( a term coined, btw, by the Republican party here...NOT the Democrats as is so often assumed ).

But free speech is free speech, at least stateside. Only when a company's bottom line is under threat though, will they dismiss someone who brings hordes of revenue. I hate the words still used by some people these days to describe some group because they sound uneducated and uncivilized. But, I don't think any law should be passed preventing them from speaking.

There's a backlash now against Rush too, by the very party he has aligned himself with through the years. He feels it and grows ever more restless, more inclined to outrageous comments. Which may very well shoot his career right in the foot one day. Who will he speak to if that party stops allowing him into their events, if politicians stop inviting him to play golf etc etc? As his followers see their party distance themselves from him, they might too and he could only be left with a very few hard hearted malcontents supporting him. Well, that's no good for profits so....

Give this Ross enough room to grow even bigger. You never know if he'll be the one to pop his own balloon eventually. Meanwhile, can you turn the channel?

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 6:29pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
Give this Ross enough room to grow even bigger. You never know if he'll be the one to pop his own balloon eventually. Meanwhile, can you turn the channel?

How did the song go? 47 channels and there was nothing on

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 7:49pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
Another radio talk host, I forget the dudes name right now, who was fairly popular also made a living speaking to peoples fears and anxities and how 'special interest groups' are ruining good ol' America. Well, he made some comments about a team of female basketball players, mostly black, and the shit storm it incited caused him to be sacked.

That was Don Imus, and they actually did the right thing and fired his ass. Lets not forget Anne Coulter, she's been fired several time for spewing the same brand of vitriol on air which is probably why she's referred to as Rush Limbaugh in a mini skirt.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Polednice

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 7:54pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
Nitro, I shan't go too off-topic by responding to all your points, but I think I have to point out that Jonathan Ross is really, really, really nothing at all like ANY of the people you described. I, for one, would present much angrier views on this thread if he were.

Maxx England

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 8:06pm Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
I find the best way to describe Woss (yes, he has trouble with his r's. He talks out of it) is a tasteless mocking loudmouth. There is no actual malice in what he says, but that doesn't stop him getting up some peoples' noses.

As for the money he's on, well we all want the best deal we can get. He got one, and overpriced or not, at least as far as I know, it's always been out in the open, unlike the Westminster Piggy Bank.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nitro

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 8:26am Post subject: Why Jonathan Ross should be sacked
Thanks for not getting ticked about me bringing up those folks I mentioned and appreciate that you took the time to point out this Ross guy is nothing like the ones I mentioned. Also, thanks for reminding Tobias of the Don Imus' name.

And Maxx, I think of that song every time I ever turn on the TV. So much being put out now as 'entertainment' seems to speak primarily to, excuse me, the lowest common denominator X-D

Really? Wow.