Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

leephilipcollins

Posted Sun Dec 5th, 2010 12:05am Post subject: Why the constant use of imperial measurements in QI

Does Stephen not realise that mountains have not been measured in feet since the 1970s?

diaji

Posted Sun Dec 5th, 2010 12:42am Post subject: Why the constant use of imperial measurements in QI

Pfft, we Brits will be dead an buried before we sell sweets by the 100g, *grumble mumble*

We love you. That's why we're here.

leephilipcollins

Posted Wed Dec 8th, 2010 10:47am Post subject: Why the constant use of imperial measurements in QI

But we do sell sweets by the 100g, have done for decades. When did you last buy a 2oz bag of Malteasers?

lillyshak

Posted Sun Dec 19th, 2010 8:50pm Post subject: Why the constant use of imperial measurements in QI

I just sit and laugh at the arguments going on here...
I am with the gorgeous Stephen Fry.
I am 5 foot 3 inches, and I would never say I was 1 meter whatever.
When I bake, I don't measure in grams, I measure in ounces.
So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Thou shall not doubt the word of Stephen Fry.
Fry is good,
Fry is great,
Fry is clever,
Fry is God.
Now continue praying to him.

leephilipcollins

Posted Mon Dec 20th, 2010 1:54pm Post subject: Why the constant use of imperial measurements in QI

One can only assume lillyshank that you are 'of a certain age' and steadfastly set in your ways, which is a shame because the metric system has many advantages of which you shall remain ignorant.

Harfin

Posted Fri Feb 4th, 2011 2:53pm Post subject: Why the constant use of imperial measurements in QI

So there are a few around who can only add / divide / multiply by ten.

mojo-chan

Posted Sun Feb 13th, 2011 12:19pm Post subject: Why the constant use of imperial measurements in QI

diaji said:
Pfft, we Brits will be dead an buried before we sell sweets by the 100g, *grumble mumble*

I think you are closer to the truth than you realize. Imperial measures are not taught at school any more, at least not beyond a few quick conversions to metric. In fact I never had any exposure to Imperial when I was at school in the early 80s.

Imperial will go away once all the people who still use it die. Sorry if that is a bit blunt but it is none the less true.

I just wish my sat nav could do a mix of both. I prefer distances in metric but speed limits have to be in MPH. We must be the only country on earth who is stuck half way between the two.