Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

keymaker

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 6:45pm Post subject: Wife-starving

Oh yeah, that's really worth dying for - wife-starving in Afghanistan.

km

fryfan20

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 10:59pm Post subject: Wife-starving

it's unbelievable, I have no words

I am what I am

Midsomerlover

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 12:15am Post subject: Wife-starving

It's sick. Pure madness. This is the world we live in!!!! Why not make it easier for everyone and put an end to this...

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 8:17am Post subject: Wife-starving

Good to know that the troops are dying for a worthwhile regime to stay in power

That would be me.

PamJH

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 12:16pm Post subject: Wife-starving

How in the world do you fight something like this?

gjhsu

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 2:31pm Post subject: Wife-starving

... because starving your wife is TOTALLY less shameful than having a wank... I'm glad I don't live over there.

Maxx England

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 7:51pm Post subject: Wife-starving

I suspect that since the wife will be actually doing the cooking, the law is meaningless in reality.

But yes, this face of Islam is particularly ugly. It seems to me that regardless of what Mohammed said or meant all those years ago, there's a substantial part of the Eastern world actually using Islam to further the aims of men with an attitude not far removed from that of street corner yobs.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

fryfan20

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 9:07pm Post subject: Wife-starving

don't think this is about religion, this is about man using religion to suppress women to feel bigger. if there was no religion they would have found another excuse

I am what I am

Nitro

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 5:58pm Post subject: Wife-starving

fryfan, you are right. Which is horribly unfortunate.

I think the Western world sort of went Plato while the Eastern went Aristotle. And we know Aristotle didn't fancy women much. His belief was that women were not fully human, but rather half-man, half-animal and therefore could not be educated and it was important that sex-drive not be ignited LOL!

But *most* religions, not all, are founded by men who are generally so insecure with the female sex drive and reproductive system that they make up things like virgin births.

Virgin births means something can come OUT, but nothing should go IN. The vagina as a one-way street sort of mindset. And that's certainly the *general* mindset of many men.

So, fryfan, you are spot on when you say that religion is just the tool of abuse and oppression. It would express itself in SOME way in absence of religion. These men KNOW what they do is wrong. So what to do with the guilt? That's easy. Blame it on God, hide behind the cross, hide behind an altar etc etc...

BTW, nowhere in the Koran does it require that women be veiled. I suggest the curious just go ahead and read the Koran. You will discover that there is in fact an impetus to make Islam THE world religion. Just as it is with Christianity.

The ideology of patriarchy is harmful to the men who support it. Some men realize this and shed the burden of bullshit, find freedom in viewing women as equals and reflexively give them the same respect they give other men. But many men, religious or not, are unwilling to see the dark side of such philosophy and social methods. To their own detriment. I would suppose that is slightly indirect whereas the oppression, control, and violence expressed towards women is direct.

Abandon your idols ye slaves!!

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 7:53pm Post subject: Wife-starving

Funny this, I was accused of stereotyping elsewhere and was smitten mightily for my words. Or is it all right if it's in favour of women?

Please feel free to discuss.

Nitro

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 4:55am Post subject: Wife-starving

Who's stereotyping Maxx? It would help you referenced what you were speaking about.

I'm not sure how discussing the oppression of women could be construed as 'in favor of women' unless you mean that the conversations are saying that, for instance, wife-starving is a horrible practice. The discussion is in favor of, but the act clearly is not.

So, a little clarity and qualification on your question please

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 11:30am Post subject: Wife-starving

fryfan20 said:
don't think this is about religion, this is about man using religion to suppress women to feel bigger. if there was no religion they would have found another excuse

Which man? I don't oppress anybody, most men that I know don't either. I'm not accusing anybody of stereotyping, I'm just asking them to think whether or not they're blanketing all men as the same based on the behaviour of only some of them.

Britannicus

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 3:16pm Post subject: Wife-starving

Maxx England, I didn't get the impression Fryfan20 was lumping all men into the category of women-oppressing shitbags-for-balls. I'm pretty damn sure it had a lot to do with the Afghani bill that was just passed that permits men to STARVE THEIR WIVES for not submitting themselves to be raped. In the context of what this thread is about, I do not understand what you are trying to say. Could you please explain more thoroughly?

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Maxx England

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 5:36pm Post subject: Wife-starving

I just wanted a little clarity, that's all

And I'm glad none of us live in that fly infested boghole, male or female.

Nitro

Posted Thu Aug 20th, 2009 1:45pm Post subject: Wife-starving

I think part of the reason that stereotypes make so many people uncomftorable, is that there's an element of truth to them. Enough so that someone might see themselves or a part of their attitude reflected in 'that group' but who would say they do not, as individuals, share ALL of the groups behaviors or beliefs. ( And I'm talking about the group in context of the stereotype, so we're clear ).

There are enough men, globally and historically, who have shared a common enough interest in oppressing women in some way that fryfan's remarks really aren't that far off the mark. Do all men support the actions of all men? No and no and no.

But I can say that I have heard American males say things you'd expect to hear reflected in the attitude of an Islamic extremists attitude about women. I've met many Western men who do firmly believe in 'controlling their women'. It's not just a joke in the locker room or over beers. We have an astonishingly high abuse rate against women here in America for a country so supposedly 'forward thinking'.

I understand not wanting to be lumped in with the likes of these Maxx. But women have had very little else to reference for far too long. I don't think we can blame them for that

Really? Wow.