Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sun Dec 5th, 2010 2:31pm Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

Go here if you find trouble getting to the main site.

http://www.wikileaks.ch/

I am slightly terrified by the number of politicians in the states who are using the WikiLeaks Diplomatic Cables as a chance to stuff their grills into the cameras and blather hyperbole at uninformed, or apathetic, or just plain overloaded viewers.

I believe this is a significant event for the web and reveals much about how desperate politicians are to exercise as much control as they can get away with over any populace of citizens. Instilling fear and panic in them is one way to do that.

The insinuation that the release of information is 'treason' is just a little, not much, but just a little funny to me, but in a surreal way. It's also an indicator, IMHO, of how far away people like Edward R. Murrow are to us now, even with all of our gadgets there still has not been any really strong journalistic 'voice' saying,"Oh, you're pandering to everyone that you're pure as salt again, eh? OK, well what about this?".

Everyone complains if a journalist does not reveal their sources. WikiLeaks does exactly that. Who wrote those words in the cables? Diplomats did. It's right there for anyone to see.

Why is it treasonous for you, or me, or your neighbor to know that China ordered attacks on Googles servers? Why is it treason for you or I to have all doubt removed that diplomats are people and people say things about other people etc etc?

I'm not sure how telling people an entire story equates to treason. And PayPal's b.s. coward manuever is one I am not personally surprised by. They're not exactly known for being super propellor-heads over there.

It's my understanding that WikiLeaks will release some information about the insurance industry, again, probably only confirming our suspicions. I think THAT is what is most feared by power mongers. That they won't have that little edge of 'benefit of the doubt' to wiggle around in anymore. So they accuse them of some horrible crime like treason.

What's next? Send everyone off to the work camps in Siberia under 'administrative process' or for being problematic? Shutting down, or being able to shut down, WikiLeaks is really, really scary to me. I hope it doesn't happen.

Do you feel differently? If so, why? Do you think they will be shut down? Does the talk on some politicans part of even *wanting* to, trouble you?

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Sun Dec 5th, 2010 11:49pm Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

i haven't read enough about it, but i did read that it could not be "treason" because wikileaks is not based in the US.
i'll go check

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Nitro

Posted Mon Dec 6th, 2010 2:25am Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

It's kind of weird to me that some diplomat calling another diplomat 'fat' or 'uncreative' or whatever could be considered some sort of risk to national security to begin with.

So Khadafi has a voluptuous nurse he likes. Wow man, that's really just blowing the lid off of all sorts of state secrets huh?

It's funny stuff.

I mean, I 'get' that the ability of WikiLeaks to do these reveals are what is threatening all the pols out there but might've been a little more sympathetic had it been something actually devastating such as the security codes of nuclear launch sites instead of just some personal criticisms.

Thanks Michael. I hope being abandoned by PayPal doesn't hurt them too much ( snark)

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Mon Dec 6th, 2010 9:56pm Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

lol!!

"kahdafi amd nursey, sittin in a tree... kay eye ess ess-"

ZAP!!!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Nitro

Posted Tue Dec 7th, 2010 2:43am Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

They're really amping up on ol' Julian now.

The FBI here is going to try to charge him under some old espionage act. Also, there's now charges against him for some sort of sexual crimes...hmm...pretty convenient.

But this is like a damned global hunt on the guy. Just about every country wants him jailed and WikiLeaks shut down. He's receiving death threats daily. This kind of 'pincher effect' being put on him is something you'd expect from some outrageous action movie story line starring Will Smith or Matt Damon.

It's really weird and I don't trust a damned thing the feds, any feds, have to say about him anymore. I think they feel if they can't 'catch' him, they'll drum up some other charges to take him down. Or just outright kill him. Even his home country is in on the act and may put out a warrant for his arrest. This could mean deportation rounds to be tried in various government courts.

It's just so bizarre. And the real threat here is the threat to free dissemination of information that impacts all sorts of civil rights for citizenry to know what's going on with the people they're paying to look after things. It kind of bothers me that if they can shut down a group like WikiLeaks, then who's next? Anyone who challenges mainstream journalism, which typically is watered down cack designed to not offend marketers.

Really? Wow.

darylplaza

Posted Tue Dec 28th, 2010 10:24pm Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

I dont think wikileaks is treason. I find it quite hillarious that someone exposes the truth and what others realy think and suddenly all the people he exposed want his head on a plater. wouldn't it make more sense if the people he exposed fix their mistakes instead of killing the messanger.

Nitro

Posted Wed Dec 29th, 2010 6:29pm Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

Now they're going after his dating preferences

Really? Wow.

Boog

Posted Tue Mar 1st, 2011 6:47pm Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

Wikileaks is treason ... if you come from the planet Tralfamadore

"Murphy was an optimist."

Nitro

Posted Thu Mar 3rd, 2011 6:32pm Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

LOL!

Really? Wow.

AlanNotHim

Posted Sun Mar 6th, 2011 9:35pm Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

The biggest crime you can ever commit is making those in power look foolish or exposing their lies.

The revolution will be encrypted.

\"Life is not all champaign. Sometimes it is real pain.\"

Nitro

Posted Mon Mar 14th, 2011 4:21am Post subject: WikiLeaks: Treason, or No?

The revolution *is* encrypted

And that stuxnet firus is the Hiroshima of the digital war field. There's no turning around from that now. The tide has turned indeed.

Really? Wow.