Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 5:05pm Post subject: Wilde
I've just realised the Wilde thread is another one of threads that got deleted! [The huge QI thread got deleted too, the one where we were discussing series D as each episode aired]

I've got Wilde on video but I've noticed the dvd version has a documentary on it. Is it worth shelling out a fiver for the dvd to see this documentary or should I just stick with my video? [Yeah a fiver isn't that much to spend really is it? So it's not like it'd be a tragic waste if I did buy it anyway]

Assuming direct control...

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 5:40pm Post subject: Wilde
I've just realised the Wilde thread is another one of threads that got deleted! [The huge QI thread got deleted too, the one where we were discussing series D as each episode aired]

I've got Wilde on video but I've noticed the dvd version has a documentary on it. Is it worth shelling out a fiver for the dvd to see this documentary or should I just stick with my video?

This is getting ridiculous. Someone should tell whoever is deleting our threads to QUIT IT!!!

meekychuppet

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 5:59pm Post subject: Wilde
It's PhpBB software. Unless the admins alter the pruning settings it does it automatically.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 6:03pm Post subject: Wilde
This is the first PhpBB board I've seen do any kind of automatic pruning. I guess on most forums they must alter the settings from the get go. Usually I hear mods talking about manually pruning away members they think aren't coming back but not old threads.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 6:12pm Post subject: Wilde
According to Atari it wasn't the software but the official admin 'spring cleaning'.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 6:15pm Post subject: Wilde
I just noticed that, under General Musings, the SQUEEEEE thread has disappeared as well
That was the one where Jemmo had posted pics she had taken of Mr Fry in Swaffham plus her story how she met him there, and furthermore there were loads of real gems in that thread - all gone now...
irretrievably gone :'( :'( :'(

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 6:59pm Post subject: Wilde
Nooo not the squee thread! :'( :'( :'(

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 8:28pm Post subject: Wilde
We should register a protest.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 8:33pm Post subject: Wilde
Yep.

Canzonett

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 9:52am Post subject: Wilde
Exactly. Just because a thread looks somewhat dusty and has not been posted to for some days, this does not mean that it's worth deleting. Quality needs to be archived. See my comment in the new SNF thread:

Wow. Imagine a library working like this: Any book that has not been checked out for three months or so is to be deleted ... I don't mind a little spring-cleaning. It's just annoying to start some discussions all over again and push them to a level of moderate sophistication when you know that you are just repeating yourself you are just repeating yourself

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 1:33pm Post subject: Wilde

I've got Wilde on video but I've noticed the dvd version has a documentary on it. Is it worth shelling out a fiver for the dvd to see this documentary or should I just stick with my video? [Yeah a fiver isn't that much to spend really is it? So it's not like it'd be a tragic waste if I did buy it anyway]

Hi amyl nitrate: I think your question has gone unanswered in favor of outrage at deleted threads. My answer: part with a fiver and get the Wilde DVD. The special features on it contain very interesting discussions with the director, producer, costume designer, screenplay writer, et al., and Stephen is enormously charming and erudite in them. You won't feel cheated.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 2:08pm Post subject: Wilde
Spoileration, but if you want to read what Stephen said in the bonus edition interview, look no further!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 2:41pm Post subject: Wilde
Spoileration, but if you want to read what Stephen said in the bonus edition interview, look no further!

WOW, thanks a lot, Fryphile - a real treat (I´m just having my lunch break)!!! (I might consider buying the DVD as my video is almost in shreds...)

amyl-nitrate, great that you raised the question in the first place

Flossy

Posted Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 12:15am Post subject: Wilde
OK, so the Wilde thread got deleted! As far as I can gather anyway! So lets pick it up again then!

Stephen was superb! Again another role which was his all along! Didn't have to act much. All the emotions were already installed. All the intelectual diatribes were addressed in his mind. Stephen the radical , the libitarian, the humanist, the actor, the writer, were all present in the persona of Wilde.

Oooorrrr................should I say "Butch Oscar!"!

But surely Oscar Wilde never killed anyone? That wasn't in the film!
Oscar Wilde was gay wasn't he? For instance...........

The tender scene between Stephen and Jude Law for example made me forget about the gay issue. It was so well acted and so absorbing.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 12:54pm Post subject: Wilde
Thanks beespajamas and FryPhile. I think I'll buy it next time I go into town.