Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 10:21am Post subject: Wilde
GVJ!!! \^0^/

Yes helvissa I think it looks like Jonathan Ross too. But then I think in a lot of photos Oscar Wilde looks like Jonathan Ross.

Assuming direct control...

Shyamz

Posted Wed Sep 10th, 2008 7:10pm Post subject: Wilde
For some reason watching a Q.i DVD the other night reminded me how much I'd love to see him in a leading role again.

What would it be good to see him in do you think?

Nitro

Posted Sun Oct 19th, 2008 5:06pm Post subject: Wilde
At the risk of being controversial, I noticed one persons comments said something like..."..and Stephen didn't have to act much.."

I'm not sure why, but I don't like that comment very much as entitled to it as you are. I think, because, it implies something that's not quite fair to Mr.Fry as an actor. But, I don't want to be too precious about this so I'll end that there.

I've watched this film dozens of times. For me, the subtleties are what's most appealing I suppose. Things that transcend the sexuality of any of the characters, that go well beyond that topic. And I find these things incredibly difficult to define in words and this is, possibly, what draws me back to it time and again. Trying to figure out what it is that is so appealing about it to me.

I would recommend this film to anyone, not just fans of Oscar or his lifes story nor fans of Mr.Fry.

And at the risk of being crucified outright for saying it, my only teensy disappointment with the film was that Oscar seemed a bit disappassionate for someone head over heels in love. Please, do not flame me for saying this but I do kind of wish the intensity of feeling had come across more. Recall I said 'teensy disappointment'....otherwise, I think it's fantastic and having said that, will watch it again soon.

Really? Wow.

boffinbabe12

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 5:50pm Post subject: Wilde
I thought that the intensity in the feeling came across fantastically. I thought that when Wilde/Stephen had written De Profundis, his emotion and longing was very powerful.
I just thought the film was fantastic and I am eternally grateful for Mr Fry for introducing me to Wilde.
x

Rain Dog

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 8:45pm Post subject: Wilde
I have seen Wilde many times and it's one of my favourite movies. Somehow I just haven't bought it myself, there has always been the old vhs in the library and for some time I didn't find the dvd anywhere. But now I've finally ordered it, and can't wait! I think there's at least a documentary on the dvd, and naturally the quality will be much better.

Incidentally, when I wanted to see Wilde as a kid I was still under 16 (which was the age limit) so I had to ask my dad to lend it for me. I wonder what he thought when I showed him what film I wanted.. or maybe he didn't look that closely. I remember reading The Picture of Dorian Gray around the same time (I was quite into Oscar Wilde, as I still am) and some relative commented that it really wasn't for someone of my age, and I couldn't understand it. All those books that were for teenagers really weren't my cup of tea..

Anyway, back on topic. I think Wilde is a fantastic movie and I find Stephen's performance absolutely enchanting and touching. I don't usually like historical movies but I love Wilde. How could I not, loving and respecting both Wilde and Fry so much!

Oh, and I was just watching Stephen Fry: 50 Not Out and Michael Sheen described Stephen as "a suprisingly good kisser". How sweet!

M-y-s-t-e-r-y

Posted Sun Feb 15th, 2009 4:36pm Post subject: Wilde
I saw "50 not out" as well, now every time i see Michael Sheen i remember him saying that.. Wierd.

I allways loved the film Wilde. I get asked how you can watch the same thing more than twice but they just don't get it!

By the way- 50 not out - is that a reference to cricket, anyone? Im appallingly awful in my knowledge of cricket...

exoskeleton

Posted Fri Mar 27th, 2009 10:45pm Post subject: Wilde
I should check out this entire thread sometime. anyway I just wanted to ask if anyone had ever seen the inside cover of this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Screenplay-Julian-Mitc.....mp;sr=8-10

I happily acquired it from the library today (I love libraries!!!) and when I opened it it made me laugh out loud. I haven't got time to take and post a picture but if anyone would like to see it I'll take care of that later.

sockdolager.

exoskeleton

Posted Sat Mar 28th, 2009 2:55am Post subject: Wilde
well, I'll post this anyway. no one's clamoring to see it, but I think it's funny. a bit of a butterfry, har har. (or, if you prefer, der-dun der-dun tish)

sockdolager.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Mar 28th, 2009 3:34am Post subject: Wilde
I hadn't seen that before, and it is very funny. Thanks for sharing that.

exoskeleton

Posted Sat May 2nd, 2009 6:07am Post subject: Wilde
tonight I decided to watch this movie and a few minutes in I realized I still had that book, so I'm reading along with the screenplay. I don't know if this is "done" but I'm finding it quite fascinating. in some cases it clarifies some emotions that either aren't clear because of the poor quality of the video on youtube or simply went way over my head, and it definitely helps me keep track of who is who. it's also interesting that a lot of characters are not laughing in places it says for them to, and Oscar was more tender toward his son than is written. I'll edit with more later.

edit:
this turns out to have been great fun. I want to try it with other movies I like if I can borrow the beautiful book versions of them like this.
there was less smiling than was called for, I think. less overall of Oscar watching his own productions from the wings. no overflowing chamberpot, nor kissing of fingers at the prison ended up in the movie. the water jug was thrown on the floor and not at Oscar.

also I feel very very very stupid for not having understood the character of Robbie Ross the first time I watched. I thought he was not a nice character, that he really was quite jealous all along. totally missed the point! I didn't trust him when he was helping or advising Oscar. now I think he's my favorite character in the entire film.

sockdolager.

jack

Posted Mon Dec 10th, 2012 12:04pm Post subject: Wilde

I just noticed that, under General Musings, the SQUEEEEE thread has disappeared as well