Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Wed Sep 9th, 2009 11:57am Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

VICTIM. – In a paper read not only by boys of all ages, but also largely by their sisters, the difficulty of effectively treating on such a subject will be readily understood. While, however, it is impossible for us to go into details, we trust the whole tone and teaching of our paper must warn and tell against impurity of every kind, whether of thought, word, or deed. At school; as elsewhere, it is a safe rule to avoid everything, no matter who may be the tempter, of which you could not fearlessly speak to your father or mother.
(SATURDAY, JUNE 18, 1887)

These curtains are heavy, I am stultified!
Release me with your light essence.
Carry me to my unburden, my Heathcliffe
And let the sands stop when at last embraced I.

michael

Posted Wed Sep 9th, 2009 4:06pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

please hoist my potted meat up a flagpole, is this spam?

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 9:35am Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

michael said:
please hoist my potted meat up a flagpole, is this spam?

Young man, I shall have you know that this is not some new world recipe for enticing new world salivation, but a genuine reply to a young Victorian gentleman. As a lady of a delicate nature I would expect a retraction. Good day!

Nitro

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 3:04pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

I have a feeling Michael's not going to retract himself back in Time with you to the bad-old days of Victorian morals, nor the statement made.

My experience is that anyone who clings to such a mindset ( generally speaking ), goes something like this: anything that feels good, tastes good, smells good, or otherwise causes one to enjoy the life of the living, is generally 'bad' or 'impure'; and anything that causes one to be stringently tense in disposition and appetite is 'good' or 'pure'.

I am not terribly upset I missed that time period, but hope you are enjoying it.

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 3:49pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

just a fyi: spam robots DO have a habit of pulling out obscure quotes as a way to deceive filters. i've seen all sorts of stuff like this posted by robots.

no offense meant from me though, i promise i'd be the last person (or next to last, lol) to want to prevent you from posting random things

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 10:19am Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

Dear Nitro
I understand thoroughly your comments regarding perceived attitudes from my era (which since around the late twenties has been termed Victorian) and hope that some of my posts will reveal a certain humour that exists in the replies to correspondents of a popular weekly publication for young men.

Michael
I was so pleased with your reply and hope you will enjoy further postings that I make.

michael

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 7:47pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

what an interesting mission!

are there pictures of victorian young men involved?

lol, anyways...maybe you can make one thread for these b.o.p. posts and later add new ones to the same thread? just a thought. you don't hafta. you can do whatever you want.

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Sun Sep 13th, 2009 6:58pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

michael said:
what an interesting mission!

are there pictures of victorian young men involved?

lol, anyways...maybe you can make one thread for these b.o.p. posts and later add new ones to the same thread? just a thought. you don't hafta. you can do whatever you want.

You are a wise young man Master Michael, your idea sounds like the very thing...watch THIS space.

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Sun Sep 13th, 2009 7:00pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

These boys obviously found a novel way to carry their pet.

H.A.R.B. – You should not bore holes in the shell of your tortoise, even though they are so convenient to tie strings to. Feed the reptile on lettuces and that sort of thing, or let it loose in the garden.
(SATURDAY, AUGUST 27, 1892)

michael

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 3:25pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

folks around here used to tie them to their legs as rattles, but that was after they'd already eaten the meat.

would be ridiculous to tie the tortoise on and dance around with him still in there.

(***forgive me, i actually love turtles and tortoises, and have never eaten one...though yeah, you can.)

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 9:42pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

Goodness, I found this fascinating Boy's Own reply on the internet (I am particular to ethernet, you know. I refer to the mysterious dog remark.

http://boysownpaper.blogspot.com/

Thank you Michael, the rough boys used to cut the tongues of rooks to make them talk like mynah birds...it never worked and was pitilessly cruel.

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 10:53am Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

Do you know, it never ceases to amaze me how young people in the 21st Century get involved in so little. With nincompoop regulations, Great Britain is turning into a wet-nurse for its children.

Not in my day...look at this comment from Boy's Own in 1892.

H. STEPHENS. – You skeletonise small animals by first skinning off as much of the flesh as you can, and putting the rest into cold water to soak for a week or two. Use an enamelled iron or crockery dish – a flower pot saucer does very well – and fill it up daily. The odour is not pleasant, so the best place to keep it is on the roof. Get rid of the brain and the blood as early as possible, and you will thus save discoloration. Every few days, take the specimens out and wash them under the tap or syringe them well. To whiten them use a very weak solution of chloride of lime.
(SATURDAY, JULY 23, 1892)

Having said that, I must admit that I should think twice before allowing such ghastly practice in my residence.

michael

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 3:11pm Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

lol...actually, i had a friend who did that. seriously. she rendered a fox skull in her apartment. got really into it. she didn't put it on the roof though.

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Fri Sep 18th, 2009 9:45am Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

Thank you Michael

The first time I saw the skeleton of a mouse I realised how they could squeeze through holes that are the diameter of a standard pencil!

Esme Montebank-Bliss

Posted Mon Sep 21st, 2009 11:21am Post subject: Wise words from the Boy's Own Paper

An interesting reply here revealing that the Boy's Own Paper would receive several varied enquiries from curious boys.

W.C.N. – 1.No man’s debts are paid by his staying away from a town, and no man with any sense of honour would think of doing such a thing. 2.The name of Her Majesty was the same after her marriage as it was before, as the slightest knowledge of history would have told you. 3.We really cannot decide questions as to the amount of crape you should wear for your grandmother.
(SATURDAY, JULY 23, 1887)