Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Red Raven

Posted Thu Jun 26th, 2008 8:29pm Post subject: Woman (in a man's world)

If I want anything, I'm going to have to get visibly good at it. That's how it works. Have a nice day y'all.

BRITISH PEOPLE SAY Y'ALL???

or are you from birmingham alabama???

Haha, that's what I was going to say, but you beat me to it. If you really want funny you should hear my dad and granddad say y'all with Liverpool accents.

Anyway, Y'ALL have had the "old bloke" perspective and as a younger bloke I will tell you that I share Amyl's view with regard to all of this stuff. It's just ridiculous to me that in this day and age we still can't seem to get it right. I'm male, I work from home, and I stay at home with our twins while my wife is at work. My wife was in court working 2 days before the birth of our sons, and returned fully, 3 weeks after. There was no financial loss to ANYONE, and nobody was inconvenienced in any way. The "old bloke" perspective is dying a death Amyl, just hang on, we'll get it straight.

You and your wife won't be the only ones. In a few years I'll be working and my (future) husband will be home taking care of the house and kids. My dad is completely against it. Any time it's brought up he has to make a comment, tell me I'm too good to have to be the one to work and that it's the mans job to work. Well, I want to work, if I were cooped up in the house all day with kids I'd go completely mental. Just because it was right for him and mom to do it their way doesn't mean it's what's right for me and my man. Plus, I always thought stay at home dads are cool as hell.

nongenderous

Posted Thu Jun 26th, 2008 9:44pm Post subject: Woman (in a man's world)
Maxx England, for your information didn't write the post in an aggressive way. I was just trying to express my opinion. To me the posting about:
The point about "what if she gets pregnant". Well, if you were running any enterprise that required the regular and continued attendance of staff, would you willingly employ anyone who was likely to be away from their job for prolonged periods? Although pregnancy is not in any way an illness, it still has the effect of removing an employee as effectively as any illness, injury, physical incapacity, isolation or prison sentence.
did come across as what I would call discrimination based on gender. But if you're not in favor of discrimination, you should have just said it.

You sound rather angry, and I you may have had some unpleasant experiences at work and I'm sorry that you've if you've had those experiences, but I'm sure other people have as well as result of discrimination. Which in my opinion isn't "fashionable".

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Jun 27th, 2008 10:50am Post subject: Woman (in a man's world)
If I want anything, I'm going to have to get visibly good at it. That's how it works.

No, that's not how it works. That's how it should work, but very often it doesn' t. You contradict yourself:

The point about "what if she gets pregnant". Well, if you were running any enterprise that required the regular and continued attendance of staff, would you willingly employ anyone who was likely to be away from their job for prolonged periods? Although pregnancy is not in any way an illness, it still has the effect of removing an employee as effectively as any illness, injury, physical incapacity, isolation or prison sentence.

If my being likely to get pregnant is the only reason why I don't get a job, it doesn't matter how good I am. That's reality for many women and men who are rejected not because they're not good enough but because they're male / female / black / white / fat or even too good (and therefore a danger to those above you in hierarchy).

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jul 1st, 2008 11:04am Post subject: Woman (in a man's world)
People get their heads up their backsides about what other people can do. You get taken on as "something" and you are assumed to be incapable of anything better.

This is personal experience here: I worked at a place where I dropped the scrap material rate on a job from 30% to 0.3%, a net reduction in cost at the time of £500 a week minimum. I came up with the idea, novel back then, of recycling waste, £20,000+ a lorry load, 6 times a year.

Did I get respect, bonuses, promotion? No, I was just a worker and "you can be replaced any time".

I've been in a place where I instituted a rational and organised system for work in progress on one particular facet of the business which meant that customers could be given clear and accurate information on how any particular order was progressing and we had tabs on everything all the time. Previous to that I also dropped the scrap rate of stock to 10% of what it had been. Respect etc? See above.

There are lots of you with similar stories, and similar responses from your employers; I think the only realistic answer sometimes is go freelance and reinvent yourself . Anybody got a gig for a blues guitar player? Just don't, don't, ask me to sing

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?