Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

j9r

Posted Thu Feb 28th, 2008 11:46pm Post subject: work layoff ----
Hanging in there. We have a meeting with big American corp on Monday regarding possible purchase.....not really sure they would want us in these economic times, but we look.

This is a non-union shop, and on top of that I am upper management. I am the man - not sure how that happened, in my head I am still a starving artist.

No one is offering me a package to stay so I am looking. But it really does make you not feel motivated to work, hence writing this during business hours. Should be doing analysis of sales tax, VAT, GST and PST but instead I am here.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

joan

Posted Fri Feb 29th, 2008 4:02am Post subject: work layoff ----
Don't blame you!! I didn't like bookkeeping, and hence accountancy myself - but I like to work alone and bookkeepers often do, apart from when the accountant (you!!!) wants this or that report yesterday. I was efficient at it, and great with currency futures, but it was a strain.

After I'd left, I knew without any shadow of a doubt, that I would NEVER ever go back to it.

j9r

Posted Fri Feb 29th, 2008 7:41pm Post subject: work layoff ----
I started out as a temp accounting clerk. I walked into an agency when my bank balance was zero, no food and the arts weren't paying enough. I passed the math test and was available immediately. Started that afternoon at a company to replace a women who dropped a filing cabinet on herself, never open more than one drawer at a time. I am old enough that they didn't have safeties to keep people from doing stupid things. My entire job was looking for misapplied checks in the millions of deposits. I learned this business for the ground up and have developed a niche.

Even though it is just accounting, I usually like my job. I build companies. I make departments and often it is fun. I get to wear sweats to work and listen to my music loud, and rarely wear shoes.

If I respected the CEO I would probably work harder at making this company work, but he lost that a long time ago. So the head hunter is looking for a new company for me to do my stuff at. He's motivated to find me one and I am ready to go.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

joan

Posted Sat Mar 1st, 2008 2:28am Post subject: work layoff ----
Well. liking what you do is half the solution - it'll be just a matter of time before you find somewhere you like, to do it in !!