Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

andymanc

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 11:11am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
Think I would of played the vegetarian card when those two black burnt turkeys came out for Thanksgiving lunch...

Americans are a funny bunch of people are they not?

Weird to see them in all there glory!!

fecundity10

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 6:11pm Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
Flash frying turkeys outside is quite popular in the US and can be very nice if done properly.

If not done properly you can burn your house down

There's plenty of links on YouTube if you want to see it done properly or even badly.

Sidthespid

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 6:13pm Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
I've cooked worse

I was more disturbed by the insane amount of money spent on the football celebration. Oh my god!

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 7:44pm Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
They're actually very good cooked that way, and quicker. We do ours like that every year.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

green ink

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 12:21am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
It just seems so american as to be almost a parody. Still I can imagine that it might actually be quite a nice way to cook Turkey, though visually preparing them in the oven seems more appealing. And I imagine it also smells better.

AHisme

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 12:32am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
It just seems so american as to be almost a parody. Still I can imagine that it might actually be quite a nice way to cook Turkey, though visually preparing them in the oven seems more appealing. And I imagine it also smells better.

Also, health anyone?

docbell

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 12:36am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
Hi, Having lived and worked in the US, being a woman, I as surprised that they never roasted anything the way we do.
One day we cooked the other Doc's a roast dinner with all the trimmings.
They hated it.
The Turkey is very good cooked that way, after all it is the home of Fried Chicken. They were a bit over done though!!

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 1:08am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
Hi, Having lived and worked in the US, being a woman, I as surprised that they never roasted anything the way we do.
One day we cooked the other Doc's a roast dinner with all the trimmings.
They hated it.
The Turkey is very good cooked that way, after all it is the home of Fried Chicken. They were a bit over done though!!

I can't believe that I'm responding to this, but I am. Would you mind telling us where you lived while in the U.S.? Sorry to disappoint y'all but I really must clear up these inaccuracies, we do roast meats traditionally and with all of the trimmings too.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 1:53am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
Most of the time turkey is actually cooked in the oven, not fried. It is a popular way of doing it no doubt, but most of my life Thanksgiving cooking has started at 5:00 a.m. so you can have the turkey roasted by lunch.

Mmmmm, turkey. Thanksgiving is one of my all time favorite holidays. Really is the best. The best food comes out of Thanksgiving: roasted turkey, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, broccoli and rice casserole, gravy, sweet corn casserole, home baked buns, pecan pie, pumpkin pie. GAH! I must stop myself, we have a whole month to go before Thanksgiving.

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 1:54am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
I've never had a fried turkey but they do look delicious!

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 2:17am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
The best food comes out of Thanksgiving: roasted turkey, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, broccoli and rice casserole, gravy, sweet corn casserole, home baked buns, pecan pie, pumpkin pie. GAH! I must stop myself, we have a whole month to go before Thanksgiving.

............don't forget the sweet potato pie and the cranberries.

Walt Whitman

Shader

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 3:28am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
Most of the time turkey is actually cooked in the oven, not fried. It is a popular way of doing it no doubt, but most of my life Thanksgiving cooking has started at 5:00 a.m. so you can have the turkey roasted by lunch.

Yeah, and whoever's doing the cooking gets to impatiently wait for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to start.

Oven cooking also offers another Thanksgiving tradition. The near loss of the turkey, almost catching the house on fire, and the annual airing out of smoke.

That happens every few years or so. Not that frying can't bring about similar problems.

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 5:02am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
Frying would terrify me...William Shatner was talking about a disaster he had with frying a turkey. I'm unskilled as it is...if anyone needs me I'll be watching the parade and wondering why they always have nicer weather than when I was there.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Bishop of Attleborough

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 9:02am Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
My sister-in-law bought me a smoker five years ago, so I could produce "a mess of barbecue" for July 4th, but from 2004 onwards, I've been using it mostly to slow-smoke the Thanksgiving turkey, and it's always come out rather well, provided I brined the turkey the night before.

It can be a fairly major undertaking, six to eight hours long, but it does have the advantage that it frees up the oven for the preparation of other dishes.

How much fun it is to do depends greatly on the weather. Late November in western Washington means you can all too easily find yourself trying to keep the fire producing enough heat in a downpour, but usually I've been lucky and the weather has been cold but crisp and free of precipitation. And it gives me an excuse to spend the day outside drinking beer.

"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

docbell

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 3:27pm Post subject: Worst Cooked Turkey I Have Ever Seen!!
Hi Tobias,I am glad to hear that you do Roasts, I lived MidWest Springfield are, south Illinois, Bloomington, Normal, it was not the roast meat that everyone objected to, but the roast potato's and Yorkshire pudding, too much fat.
Sorry if I offended you, just one persons experience I suppose.