Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 11:10pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
On the programme the question was asked if you could get rid of manic depression tomorrow would you.
For me i have had this so long that i have forgotten what normality is so in a funny kind of way i'd stick with what i know.
But what about you lot?

meekychuppet

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 6:55am Post subject: Would you give it up?
Never in a million years.

trouser material

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 7:34am Post subject: Would you give it up?
I don't have it, so yes.

Wait...

It isn't a neccessity to be a Manic Depressive to peruse these forums is it? I've just realised i might be the only one.

I have my lows, who doesn't. But i'm not MD.

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 4:02pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
Strangely enough (despite the suffering during the lows) - probably not.

It has shaped and brought dynamics into my life, personality and ability to experience things often overlooked by other people.

I also would probably not know how to try and operate the 'control knobs' on my instinct / psyche / navigation panel - if someone put them back into a "normal" order.

The only exception to the above statements. is that after 40 + years of being 'taught' and enlightened by Bi-Polar , I am getting weary of the oscillations and would therefore now welcome a more effective medication plan / lifestyle so I can retain the lessons, memories and the sensitivity / empathy but now carry out the rest of my life in relative peace.

It has become like a friend you love, but one day finding yourself wanting to outgrow.

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 6:01pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
Dear Trouser Material

It is nice to have people who are not M.D. around here as well. To exclude those who are not would sadden me in the same way as the way some of the "normal" people sometimes exclude we depressives etc.

After all, we all share the same trials, defeats and victories. It is all the same "human condition"

If this this forum was a restaurant bill, I would like to think it was "fully inclusive".

Regards,

Derek.

ClareBear

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 6:15pm Post subject: Would you give it up?

Wait...

It isn't a neccessity to be a Manic Depressive to peruse these forums is it? I've just realised i might be the only one.

No, and you're not. there just seems to be a lack of MD forums about.

Maniac

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 11:57pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
My 'condition' has shaped me and made me who I am.
I have empathy with people, I have sensitivity and I have an outlook that I don't think I would have if I had not been the way I am.
I don't think I would have pushed Stephen's button. (If you know what I mean!)

Charlie

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 12:01am Post subject: Would you give it up?
I would push the button. I truely utterly would.

Sure manic behaviour makes you feel alive/creative/the dogs b*ll*cks, but depressions at worst kill. Through these ups and down I have caused a lot of pain on others and myself, which I am truely ashamed off.

Just imagine if you could switch it off. You wouldn't mind a life like the others;

You too would be preoccupied with what kind of School your children are going to, where you are going on your two week holiday and beating the office bore for the middle management promotion. You'd get pleasure out of small things. You'd be fine most of the time. Not writing poetry like you're the next sylvia plath, being a promiscuous nymphomaniac and not risking it all on your ambitious ideas.

you may think you are risking not being the next Robbie Williams, Ben Stiller or Spike Milligan, but in a world of celebrity us suffering from delusion of grandure may be shocked to realise that fame and fortune do not mean you are happy, contented and fulfilled. Contentment and fulfillment being a much easier thing to attain for non-md's and maybe, just maybe, a way of life worth living.

Show me the button.

JVONEARTH

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 12:08am Post subject: Would you give it up?
Sure thing i get where your coming from.
I have had this for so long that this is my normality and to lose it however painfull it is scares me.
It may sound strange and it is hard to explain

mazikeen

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 12:51pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
I would definitely push it

Maybe I can live with my MD, but it affects also my 3 year-old son, that's what I hate most about it.

I don't want him to remember me lateron as the weird whitch or the zombie I've been last couple of months.

Spleen et Idèal

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 8:15am Post subject: Would you give it up?
I'm just a tad cyclothymic--and when I'm hypomanic, I love every minute of it. Seriously, where's the downside? You're more creative, productive, confident, lovable, sexy, daring, free...as long as you pay the bills on time, take care of yourself, and don't hurt anybody, what's the problem? Bah! The best memories of my life are a direct consequence of having had the sheer guts to get out there and make them happen. If this courage is the result of an "illness"? Sign me the hell up! There's precious little enough happiness in this world of ours as it is; I say we ought to grab every minute of it we can and enjoy it to the fullest. In the immortal words of Auntie Mame, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death".

Over the years, I've come to realize that anxiety is the spice of life. In fact, I daresay one of the main things that helps me get through my anxious, brooding spells is the knowledge that one day I'll shake it and return to being confident, cheery, and fully engaged in life again...the hope I can once again be the person I truly am is tremendously encouraging.

The idea of living out my days as a grey little "normal person" is absolutely, stone-cold horrific. A fate worse than death. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants to lay a turd in my punchbowl by trying convince me to be as average and boring as they are can take a flying leap.

If I could push a button that would allow me to stay hypomanic for the rest of my life, I truly, truly would.

Spleen et Idèal

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 8:47am Post subject: Would you give it up?
Charlie, on being "normal":

"You'd get pleasure out of small things. You'd be fine most of the time. "

But that's just it... when I'm hypomanic, I always get pleasure out of the smallest things and am *better* than fine. Take the recent blizzard in New York, for example. Most "normal people" I know seem to do nothing but bitch about it. However, if I see fit listen to a Busby Berkeley soundtrack on my Ipod as I waltz my way home through fresh snowdrifts, laughing and kicking up massive avalanches of glittering snow in time with the music at three-thirty in the morning, what's it to you? In all, it's harmless fun that hurts no one. (DAMN that was a good time!)

As for the rest, I don't need fame and fortune to be fulfilled...my happiness is where I make it. And if I want to make it on a snowed-in road in the middle of Manhattan while all the solid citizens are sound asleep, I guess that's just how it's going to be.

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 8:53am Post subject: Would you give it up?
For some odd reason, I find myself wishing that the temperatures in Chicago would quit their current half-heartened hovering around 0 F and collapse well and truly into Siberian negatives. The idea of a whole city frozen to a crisp as though by liquid nitrogen is beautiful. The snow-drifted expanse of Lake Michigan is breathtaking. Maybe it's just a latent nostalgia after my Moscow childhood making itself known, but I'm really digging this winter.

vicof

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 3:28pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
Would I press the button? I'd ideally like to have a temporary look at what I would feel like without it. Which parts of my personality and actions are influenced (to whatever degree) by my BP. But to change permanently?...I'm who I am and where I am despite/because of the condition. And my life is pretty good (when I can be objective of course!) graduate, recently married to another teacher and half way through my first pregnancy. I've stumbled about life in convuluted and sometimes bizarre paths but I've ended up reaching somewhere that I am genuinely content. The grass is not always greener on the other side and my concern would be that the 'other side' could even turn out to be a cess pit!

Charlie

Posted Sat Feb 24th, 2007 11:32am Post subject: Would you give it up?
Charlie, on being "normal":

"You'd get pleasure out of small things. You'd be fine most of the time. "

But that's just it... when I'm hypomanic, I always get pleasure out of the smallest things and am *better* than fine. Take the recent blizzard in New York, for example. Most "normal people" I know seem to do nothing but bitch about it. However, if I see fit listen to a Busby Berkeley soundtrack on my Ipod as I waltz my way home through fresh snowdrifts, laughing and kicking up massive avalanches of glittering snow in time with the music at three-thirty in the morning, what's it to you? In all, it's harmless fun that hurts no one. (DAMN that was a good time!)

As for the rest, I don't need fame and fortune to be fulfilled...my happiness is where I make it. And if I want to make it on a snowed-in road in the middle of Manhattan while all the solid citizens are sound asleep, I guess that's just how it's going to be.

I'm not telling anyone how to live their life. The comments were based purely on my own experience. So in 'anwser to what's it to you'. It's nothing to do with me. I never have and I'm not about to start telling people how to live their lives (bipolar or not). You enjoy being bipolar, so yes I can understand why you're happy with it. I hope you contine to dance in the street at 3am. In fact, you've inspired me to start a new thread. The great experiences you've had while bipolar.