Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Saturn

Posted Sat Sep 8th, 2007 12:04am Post subject: Would you give it up?
Good stuff. I'm glad someone's happy out there!!

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Sun Sep 9th, 2007 6:15pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
At the moment, I'd give it up in a second. It's basically ruined my life so far.

Hello previous poster, always nice to see other people from Belfast!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Sep 9th, 2007 6:31pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
I asked my Mother recently if she would prefer not have a similar condition to MD and she was really torn. She preferred the way she was before having her first episode becasue she was a totally different person and much more organised and better with money ect. But on the other hand when she is stable which is pretty much all the time she doesn't mind having it because she is full of energy and a really great person to be around. Unfortunalty for her other members of the family (not to be mentioned) do not make any effort to understand her illness so when she get's down it is really hard for her.

Sorry getting a bit long here

katysara

Posted Sun Sep 9th, 2007 6:36pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
I remember in the Secret Life Stephen interviewed Andy Behrman (Electroboy) about manic depression and Andy said:

20% kill themselves.
40% live unproductive lives with parents etc.
20% end up doing jobs well beneath themselves
20% excel

I suppose if you are like SF in the top 20% you wouldn't push the button 'for all the tea in china.' Let's face it, Stephen probably fits into the top 1% if we rate success. Maybe cyclothymia is easier to live with than BPI as I have. As, despite many gifts and successes, I fear I fit in to the 40% (and possibly one day, the 20% who kill themselves), it is not surprising that I want that fu*king button!

Mixed-KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Sep 9th, 2007 6:40pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
i think the "doing jobs well beneath themselves" is a huge point to make.

i don't think it's good enough to treat illnesses enough that one survives, i wish illnesses could be treated in a way that helps everyone achieve thier best potential.

i guess i want that for everyone and myself, regardless of illness.

ruthy

Posted Sun Sep 9th, 2007 6:42pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
I have been thinking about this a lot recently and watching "normal" people in everyday life and on TV reality shows etc
I was watching how insensitive people can be with their kids and other people; ranging from a bit thoughtless to downright nasty. I was thinking about how I am with my kids and I have to say I prefer to be me. At least atm.

Working on my belief that you are what you feel, if I wasn't as sensitive as I am I'd probably be a really nasty piece of work, like some of these "normal" people are.

So basically...at least in my present state of health I'd say no I wouldn't be without it.

katysara

Posted Sun Sep 9th, 2007 6:49pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
Ruthy, what do you mean by "anti-denominational atheist"? Just curious, you don't have to answer.

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

ruthy

Posted Sun Sep 9th, 2007 8:52pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
Ruthy, what do you mean by "anti-denominational atheist"? Just curious, you don't have to answer.

KSx
Ah ...well originally it was an anti-denominational Christian but in recent weeks God and I have had a bit of a set to and we're not really on speaking terms atm IYKWIM.
In a fit of temper I changed it to atheist :-//
Does that make sense?
Probably not but hey-ho

Saturn

Posted Sun Sep 9th, 2007 10:31pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
Well atheism is the negation of religion, it is not a belief in itself, it is the antithesis of belief.

ruthy

Posted Mon Sep 10th, 2007 9:29am Post subject: Would you give it up?
Well atheism is the negation of religion, it is not a belief in itself, it is the antithesis of belief.
Yeah like I said it was just a silly tantrum really :-//
I'll take it off

katysara

Posted Mon Sep 10th, 2007 3:14pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
No it's not silly. I get you.

I am personally an atheist and I do actually think it is a form of belief. I believe there is nothing.

I died a couple of times (suicide attempts) and before they brought me back (the f*ckers) there was nothing. I really hope that is the case because I really can't face an afterlife. I mean, eternity, how boring.

Mixed-KSx

~ Stephen Fry

SidewalkProphet

Posted Mon Sep 10th, 2007 8:20pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
It's a hard thing to contemplate... I am very artistic and creative and find alot of ppl I know with MD or similar conditions are the same so does my creativity come part and parcel with my depression. Likewise alot of creative ppl have inner mental demons... they do almost seem to come together! So if I got rid of my depression would I still be the quirky creative person I am.... I tend to think I wouldn't be... I am who I am and I can't be anything else so I guess not!

I might like to remove some of the things that helped create the depression if that's allowed lol

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Sep 11th, 2007 6:03pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
While it sounds like a lovely idea to press a button and magically remove all the pain you've felt wouldn't it leave you a different person? I wouldn't want to become someone different. I don't like the idea of tampering with my mind for any reason. That is why the thought of medication both horrifies and terrifies me.

Assuming direct control...

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Sep 11th, 2007 6:41pm Post subject: Would you give it up?
While it sounds like a lovely idea to get press a button and magically remove all the pain you've felt would't it leave you a different person? I wouldn't want to become someone different. I don't like the idea of tampering with my mind for any reason. That is why the tought of medication both horrifies and terrifies me.

Yeah you are right there.
I have had this for a long time and to not have it would be strange.
The only thing i can't get the hang of is when i'm about to have a bad time i don't see the signs i just feel bad.

ruthy

Posted Wed Sep 12th, 2007 12:08am Post subject: Would you give it up?
While it sounds like a lovely idea to get press a button and magically remove all the pain you've felt wouldn't it leave you a different person? I wouldn't want to become someone different. I don't like the idea of tampering with my mind for any reason. That is why the tought of medication both horrifies and terrifies me.

I second that. That's kind of what I was trying to say but you said it better.