Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

sharptongue

Posted Sun Oct 17th, 2010 1:30pm Post subject: Would you hire a bipolar person if .....

Stephen and others, I hope this discussion on linkedin will be of interest.
Full Title :
"Would you hire a bipolar person if he or she is properly treated and has good references and is suitable for the job?"
To view the thread requires
1. Membership on linkedin.com
2. Membership to the "Leadership Think Tank" group.

One of the posters was cheeky enough to suggest that Stephen may find this
discussion of interest and want to become involved,
and I am cheeky enough to give it a try.

Is there interest ? If so, I'll have a go at re-posting the discussion here.

StephenRyan

Posted Sun Oct 17th, 2010 3:23pm Post subject: Would you hire a bipolar person if .....

As someone who has not worked in paid employment for 3 and half years because of a depressive illness i am incredibly excited to find any discussion that talks about getting people like me back to work.
I can't think of anything more useful to sufferers than getting back to work.
Stephen

Wilde Woman

Posted Tue Oct 19th, 2010 10:25am Post subject: Would you hire a bipolar person if .....

Ooo I give up. If my post is repeated this is why... it didn't appear and then I realised a freudian slip!

Ditto. I've just signed up to Linked In but it frustrated me when I set it up so have left it. You've just given me a reason to get geared up on it.

Yes please Sharptongue, please post here if permitted if I can't fathom Linked in. I've only just managed to get to grips with Facebook.

I've started a blog Mr Ryan on my experiences of mental illness if you're interested and yep I've been where you are.

http://mindwalking-ajournalofdiscovery.blogspot.com/

I was diagnosed as bipolar, then schizoid affected disorder, then 'mixed'! Most recently the medics think it was a one off psychotic breakdown, the reason for the diagnosis was due to my mother being ill. Whatever the label it never doesn't do justice to the reality. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful to the medics, they've been fab. All I can say is believing I have been bipolar has had a profound effect on my own behaviour. (Must write about that in my blog sometime)

I mention all that because you guys might want to also look at this site which had an article on the assumptions made about the mentally ill.

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/blogs/mental-health/

The biggest problem for me has been being allowed to talk freely.

My Blogsites:
It's the one who haven't been assessed I'm scared of!

sharptongue

Posted Mon Nov 1st, 2010 10:40am Post subject: Would you hire a bipolar person if .....

Hi chaps. Thanks for your interest. There has been a complication.
I checked with the originator of the discussion thread, asking if she would request permission from each of the participants to have their words reproduced. Not much done on the www, but it is the ethical thing to do.

She informed me that she had previously approached Stephen to be interviewed for the book she is writing, of which this discussion is a part, and that Stephen had declined. She does not want to appear to be a pest, and therefore does not want the discussion thread reproduced.

So, it’s been a bit of a stuffup.

However, I’m happy to help you guys find the thread on linkedin. Email me privately, and I’ll give you what assistance I can. It’s not to hard to fix.

Wilde Woman

Posted Fri Nov 5th, 2010 1:06am Post subject: Would you hire a bipolar person if .....

Sharptongue,

I tried starting a this discussion on my blogsite but have had diddlysquat in response. Then I thought of a variation... "would you marry someone who is mentally ill?"

To me the answer should be the same in both cases... depends on the person. In the work scenario it depends on their ability to do the job. In theory a wheelchair user can be a firefighter because of equal ops and the fire service can do nothing about such an applicant. It should only ever be down to their ability to do the job and in theory if the wheelchair user can find ways to prove that they are capable and the best person capable there is no reason why they shouldn't get the job.

Same with Mental Illness of every kind, not just BP.

As to marriage... again it depends on the person. It's the same question as "Would you marry a Jew or Muslim, Christian?" Or "Would you marry a deaf person, a paraplegic?" Or "Would you marry a black, white or asian person?"

If they were the right one for me then yes, to all the above. What's interesting though is that when people think about it, it highlights what their immediate definition is, their worst fears and their prejudices.

Frankly though we all have those fears in common because we all have our own boundaries and limitations. We all know what makes us comfortable and what unsettles and disturbs us. I know I would struggle coping with an alcoholic or drug user because of some of my experiences. In the same way others would struggle with coping with the mentally ill. Fine, by me. I'm not interested in those who will be of no support.

Even more fascinating is the fears and prejudices that exist in within any group. Bipolar sufferers can be fine with other bipolar sufferers but be scare witless of schizophrenics and not go near them with a 10ft barge pole and vice versa.

If we can not accept each other, can we expect anyone else to?

Since signing up here I've noticed that for a few people here mental illness runs in their families. Should we all then be sterilized so we can't breed and by that sacrifice presumably eradicate mental illness for the good of the rest of the planet? We'd fail if we did for not all mental illness is hereditary. What's more I don't actually believe genetics are ever the soul cause. Environment plays as big a part. The mix is different in each individual.

Frankly I sometimes feel we have more value than those who've never suffered such illnesses. I try not to see things that way, and try my hardest to view all people as equals, but I'm human and some people don't make it easy for me to respect them.

I could go on for hours if anyone wants to book me!

Best give everyone else a chance before I clog up SF's fab forum forever!

My Blogsites:
It's the one who haven't been assessed I'm scared of!