Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 9:34am Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
Wow, what a conscientious dude! The hounds of the Lord have grown rather cuddly and fluffy over the years, haven't they?
I still wouldn't want to stroke and fondle one. Especially not the Spanish breed...

I don't even want to touch the Spanish breed. Too much of that Mel-Brooksian "The Inquisition, what a show" pop culture foolery about it. Plus, I think my friend was pretty adamant that the only Inquisition that influenced Bacon was the Papal/Episcopal one.

I'm not too sure about that. I think that the method and the techniques of the Inqisition were already developed in the 13th century before the Inquisition was aimed at heretics and became an instrument of terror, and centuries before there was any distinction between Roman and Spanish Inquisition. From it's roots the inquisitio was thought as a means to find and convict apostate and heretic priests and bishops.

Oh, no doubt. It's just sweet to see them own up to it when the Church was still wobbly on Galileo until a few years ago.

The statement was published in 2000, shortly after the Pope apologised for the crimes the church had committed in the past. Maybe the Dominicans, too, wanted to start into the new milennium with a clean conscience.

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 9:56am Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
[
You may want to visit Paul Doherty´s website http://www.paulcdoherty.com/

I have read almost all Brother Athelstan and Hugh Corbett Murder Mysteries. They were absolutely gripping! And PD draws such a vivid picture of what life was like in 13th/14th century London.

Or perhaps Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael)?

Thanks, Gerti. I know both authors and agree that they have written good stuff, also in terms of historical accuracy. The best novels on English medieval history in my opinion are by German author Rebecca Gablé (www.gable.de). I'm currently thinking of giving a seminar exercise sometime on the accuracy of historical novels. I bet that would attract many students and be a great opportunitiy to repeat the techniques of proper research and work with historical sources.

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 4:08pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference

I'm not too sure about that. I think that the method and the techniques of the Inqisition were already developed in the 13th century before the Inquisition was aimed at heretics and became an instrument of terror, and centuries before there was any distinction between Roman and Spanish Inquisition. From it's roots the inquisitio was thought as a means to find and convict apostate and heretic priests and bishops.

Well, that's exactly what I mean - the methods predate the Spanish Inquisition, so as far as inquiry into the methodology of verbal investigation goes, it's better to concentrate on the earlier anti-Cathar campaigns and such.

The statement was published in 2000, shortly after the Pope apologised for the crimes the church had committed in the past. Maybe the Dominicans, too, wanted to start into the new milennium with a clean conscience.

Yeah, 'cause God is totally looking at the calendar....

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 4:55pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
[
Thanks, Gerti. I know both authors and agree that they have written good stuff, also in terms of historical accuracy. The best novels on English medieval history in my opinion are by German author Rebecca Gablé (www.gable.de). I'm currently thinking of giving a seminar exercise sometime on the accuracy of historical novels. I bet that would attract many students and be a great opportunitiy to repeat the techniques of proper research and work with historical sources.

I would not know anything about historical accuracy, it grieves me to say (I am more of a natural science person, historical documentaries and novels are merely for entertainment, and I have never had a memory for historical dates :-// )

Seminar exercise on the accuracy of historical novels. Oh, that sounds interesting. And repeating the technique of proper research... Hey, want to come here and give a lecture on said subject? Some of my colleagues could do with a little help in the do´s and don´ts of proper research ("Never improve on a good thing" - fair enough! But they can´t even be bothered to improve on a bad thing... )

Cumanus

Posted Wed Feb 28th, 2007 11:06pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
As a Dominican, who is neither cuddly nor fluffy but who has been researching and writing on the Inquisition for quite a few years, let me assure you that the representation of inquisitors usually found in historical novels has little to do with the reality.
The typical inquisitor was a rather elderly and erudite gentleman who usually had the job of inquisitor thrust upon him very much against his will, after many years of university teaching and acquiring a reputation as an efficacious preacher. Moreover, the typical inquisitor would have much preferred doing other things such as continue teaching and preaching, or even just having the leisure to be able to write the life of his favourite saint or the history of his native city.

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Feb 28th, 2007 11:24pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
As a Dominican, who is neither cuddly nor fluffy but who has been researching and writing on the Inquisition for quite a few years, let me assure you that the representation of inquisitors usually found in historical novels has little to do with the reality.
The typical inquisitor was a rather elderly and erudite gentleman who usually had the job of inquisitor thrust upon him very much against his will, after many years of university teaching and acquiring a reputation as an efficacious preacher. Moreover, the typical inquisitor would have much preferred doing other things such as continue teaching and preaching, or even just having the leisure to be able to write the life of his favourite saint or the history of his native city.

In other words, if there'd been the equivalent of bumper stickers for mules, the Inquisitors' favorite would probably be "I'd rather be teaching"? (Although for William of Baskerville, to extend this beyond Dominicans, it would've probably been "I'd rather be reading." )

trouser material

Posted Wed Feb 28th, 2007 11:40pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
Tangenting slightly, moderators, did that headcase Harry ever re-register under another pseudonym? Just asking as this seems to be her only successful thread.

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Mar 1st, 2007 12:15am Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
Tangenting slightly, moderators, did that headcase Harry ever re-register under another pseudonym? Just asking as this seems to be her only successful thread.

trouser material, you look different. New hair?

ClareBear

Posted Thu Mar 1st, 2007 12:41am Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference

There are no Moderators, only Admins. And no, she hasn't re-registered yet.

trouser material

Posted Thu Mar 1st, 2007 8:17pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference

Like what i've done?

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Mar 1st, 2007 8:34pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference

Like what i've done?

Oh, you're quite the belle of this ball, luv.

trouser material

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 8:12pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference

Britannicus

Posted Sat Mar 10th, 2007 3:28am Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
I've seriously considered writing a science fiction story about a planet completely inhabited by fungus.

I wonder how well that would go over...

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Mar 10th, 2007 6:54pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
I've seriously considered writing a science fiction story about a planet completely inhabited by fungus.

I wonder how well that would go over...

Can the fungus think? If it can think, it can suffer, and that's all you really need for a good novel.

(I'm Russian, what can I say? )

Britannicus

Posted Sat Mar 10th, 2007 7:12pm Post subject: Writer or just writing?(M.a.D)-Making A Difference
XD! I dunno, those fungicide plot devices are looking pretty tempting already...

I've got a list of science-fiction cliches ready at hand. I'm wondering whether I should try to avoid using them in the story at all costs...or try to incorporate each and every single one merely for the sake of goofing around. So much depends on my mood during that first, initial draft...

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"