Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Wed Dec 31st, 2008 1:31am Post subject: Writers 'Block'
For those of you who experience this on occasion, how do you get past it?

I tend to take a very passive stance when writers block hits. I quit writing until it passes. X-D

What I dislike about it so much is that the arrival is unpredictable and inconsistent. There's no way to prepare for it coming and it always, inevitably, pops up when I've been in the clutch of sudden inspiration. For example, I'm bobbling around with two poems that are now just staring back at me with blank expressions and a play that is begging to be finished, all while my most effective response is one of helpless impotence. Believe it or not, it's the only reaction/method that works for me. ( Writer, know thyself )

BTW, I'm not talking about losing interest in a work. Quite the opposite. I suppose that's what makes 'writers block' so annoying.

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Dec 31st, 2008 11:55pm Post subject: Writers 'Block'
i do little writing exercises or i read a lot until i feel inspired.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Jan 1st, 2009 12:30am Post subject: Writers 'Block'
Here from Dean Rieck is a possible answer to your problem.

1. Define your problem.
Decide exactly what you want to accomplish. Don’t just say it or think it. Write it down.

2. Gather information.
Don’t be too selective, just scoop up everything in sight.

3. Talk to people.
Don’t go it alone. You need other points of view.

4. Add order to your information.
The next step is to turn your mass of information into something you can deal with.

5. Brainstorm lots of ideas.
When you have everything in order, begin to brainstorm.

6. Look for something to change.
Take some of your ideas and look for changes you can make.

7. Find a ready solution.
In addition to collecting raw data, look at similar creative efforts.

8. Forget about your problem for a while.
Tired? You should be. After a while, set everything aside and do something else. Take a walk.

9. Evaluate your ideas and keep only the best.
When you’re fresh, go over the ideas you’ve generated.

10. Dissect your ideas to find flaws.
Go beyond mere evaluation. Attack your ideas.

11. Act on the best ideas.

Now click HERE to go read the full article at Copyblogger

About the Author: Dean Rieck is a leading direct marketing copywriter. For more copywriting and selling tips, sign up for Dean’s FREE direct response newsletter or subscribe to the Direct Creative Blog.

Nitro

Posted Fri Jan 2nd, 2009 2:49am Post subject: Writers 'Block'
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure I would agree with calling writers block any kind of 'myth' however, considering some very motivated writers struggle with it on occasion.

It's good there are methods out there that work for some people.

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Fri Jan 2nd, 2009 10:51pm Post subject: Writers 'Block'
For those of you who experience this on occasion, how do you get past it?

I tend to take a very passive stance when writers block hits. I quit writing until it passes. X-D

What I dislike about it so much is that the arrival is unpredictable and inconsistent. There's no way to prepare for it coming and it always, inevitably, pops up when I've been in the clutch of sudden inspiration. For example, I'm bobbling around with two poems that are now just staring back at me with blank expressions and a play that is begging to be finished, all while my most effective response is one of helpless impotence. Believe it or not, it's the only reaction/method that works for me. ( Writer, know thyself )

BTW, I'm not talking about losing interest in a work. Quite the opposite. I suppose that's what makes 'writers block' so annoying.

happens to me, with painting. and it is very unpredictable.

there are times i can do things to work through it. other times, i think it is part of a mood swing or loss of energy that i can't really control. it doesn't help any to beat myself up over it. sometimes i keep working, but so slowed down i feel like i'm the most incapable stupid person on earth. and start wondering why i even try. because when i feel slowed, i forget that there were times i had ideas...i forget all the ideas.

sometimes i can get out of those by doing things you do to fight off depression....excersise, walks, take care of myself a little better, call a friend and laugh about something, but it takes time and it's not really under my control

there are other times though where it's not really that i'm down, it's more like i'm restless or indecisive. it feels different. and at those times, i think it's more because i've been making art for awhile without taking much other stuff in....i need to look at painting books or read something or watch a good film, or all of those times 10, or learn something new, go somewhere new, etc.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 3rd, 2009 5:23am Post subject: Writers 'Block'
Thanks for your perspective Michael, I hadn't thought about 'artists block', but it makes sense the same phenom occurs with painting and how you explained it for yourself is something that, while I might not experience it as you do, I can feel some sympatico for.

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Sat Jan 3rd, 2009 5:27pm Post subject: Writers 'Block'
i get urges to write too, but it feels different...i'm not good at it at all, but i get the feeling to do it sometimes. and that REALLY comes and goes w/ moods and energy levels, the speed of reading and writing. it's really frustrating to me that it changes so much

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 3rd, 2009 11:17pm Post subject: Writers 'Block'
That's interesting. I tend to get more mentally constipated with painting whereas with writing.it's fairly rare. It's just inconsistent and unpredictable. Most of the time, iow, it's *not* something I deal with. Maybe that's why when it does happen, it bothers me more but also why I don't feel too bad taking a backseat to it most of the time. I also write a helluva lot more than I paint! X-D

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jan 6th, 2009 1:04am Post subject: Writers 'Block'
When writer's block strikes, I start something new, even if it's a descriptive paragraph or an outrageous made-up news story. That usually shakes it loose for me.

I do know I can't leave a story for long without losing interest in it. I have to work on it at least a little every day or I'll begin to lose touch with the characters.

Good luck to you.