Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

BRTimmins

Posted Sat Mar 7th, 2009 2:32am Post subject: Yea verily... a lexigraphical challange
Good morning Stephen,

I think this is a matter which might just tickle your fancy.

I am unable to remember the word used, on the web, when you google something and only ONE result turns up but whatever it is... this is "one of those". Pretty obviously I did not find this word by searching for it in the first place, but discovered it was "one of those" by subsequently performing a specific search.

I found it by accident one day whilst researching matters astronomical. If you google it ONLY ONE result is returned - please go there to see its complete usage. While it is possible to surmise the meaning quite easily, I would be fascinated to find out what its "real" meaning is, along with its origins - or was it invented by the author of the stanza in which it appears. To date, after about four months fruitless, sporadic searching, I have been unable to find any references, explanations or other sources for this most fascinating of words.

I know it is a most improbable word but...

The word is... FLICCTICCULATES

From Kevin S. Jung's Astronomical Journeys.
Quote...

"When that Sirius fliccticculates upon the brow of a cold winter's snowy-scope, When the geeses have forsaken yon goose-pond for warmth of southern haven, ... "

Benjamin

Posted Sat Mar 7th, 2009 3:44pm Post subject: Yea verily... a lexigraphical challange
The word you're looking for is Googlewhack. Dave Gorman did a standup based on his journeys around the concept.

Thanks for that, it's rather fun I like words, me.

I'm a histrionic, holistic, herculean halibut.

CLICK TO SEE MY BRAINS.

sez1842

Posted Sun Mar 8th, 2009 9:29pm Post subject: Yea verily... a lexigraphical challange
Doesn't it have to be 2 words to be a proper googlewhack?

Seen the show too many times

BRTimmins

Posted Sun Mar 8th, 2009 9:44pm Post subject: Yea verily... a lexigraphical challange
Doesn't it have to be 2 words to be a proper googlewhack?

Seen the show too many times

It does, but that can be accommodated if you expand the quote to be "Sirius fliccticculates".

I had found the page for other reasons (astronomical) and have been trying to research the meaning of the word.