Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MoonLightSpiral

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 10:49pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Not enough people discuss how much they love to read.

I'll start, my favourite-est (if that's a word) book ever has to IT by Stephen King.
I think its a great story, even if some parts do go on a bit, it has a pretty thrilling story line and ends well. Not to mention it scared the *insertrudewordhere* out of me when I first read it.

So anyone else got a book they absolutely love, and need a place to rant about it for a while? Or perhaps want to recommend everyone else reads it?

Happy Posting! >.<

Spitfire

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 11:45pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
I've never seen nor read "IT". I've been too scared!
But I have read Carrie and absolutely adored it. I found myself empathizing myself with her, and despising the Brian DePalma adaption. Just didn't like it, sorry.

What else? Ermm... At the moment, I'm re-reading "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" and fallen back in love with it! ^____^

A lot of people think when you study a book for your exams, you end up hating it. I think this only applies to books you would of ending up hating anyway! I've had to study "Dr Faustus" and "The Catcher in the Rye" and I still love them now!

Sorry, this post is getting rather long, I love books so much! ^_^

MoonLightSpiral

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 11:53pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Sorry, this post is getting rather long, I love books so much! ^_^

Hehe >.< Anyone who doesn't love books must be some sort of a moron?
I remember my father reading me The Catcher in the Rye when I was younger. (Not really your average bedtime story, but my parents are weird) I haven't read either of the other two, but now I'll be eagerly looking for them next library visit ;D

On a final note, unless you have coulrophobia, or maybe arachnophobia then IT the movie shouldn't be too bad, its not like the horror movies of today with their constant scary moments that make you jump and hang onto the chandeliers (for those that have them). The main downside of the movie is that its 3 hours long. o;
You have to set aside a weekend to watch it

Spitfire

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 12:15am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Oh Jesus I don't know if I can do it!
I get restless if there's no break in Top Gear! X-D

exoskeleton

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 2:13am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
yeah, Catcher in the Rye would be a rather unusual choice for reading aloud, but that must have been a kind of neat family experience! I was read aloud to before bed until I was 10 or 11 years old, and I reallllly appreciate that looking back. I enjoyed it then too, of course.

I read Catcher on the Rye a few years ago, on my own, and I didn't particularly love it. I felt a bit obligated to read it because it's a teenager thing to do!

I don't know if I could possibly choose a favorite book. I really liked Ethan Frome when I read it, but I only read it once a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it qualifies. The Count of Monte Cristo was also really fun to read, and I wished it wouldn't ever finish (and it very nearly never did, heavy heavy book that it is!!! X-D)

sockdolager.

Britannicus

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 6:41am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay and Shogun by James Clavell are currently topping my favorites list. Shogun is another one of those books that, depsite being considerably long already (1,210 pages), truly feels like it could go on and on forever to nothing but the delight of the reader. I really recommend it!

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 7:46am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
At present its Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson.

Even though Craig Ferguson is a celeb and what not his first novel was outstanding! Its fantastical, crass, exciting, romantic, philosophical, etc. etc.

It's a stunning book to read straight away but even more stunning if you know that the title comes from a conversation Ferguson had with a priest about whether or not committing suicide immediately meant a person was going to hell.

The priest told him that if the person committing suicide repented just before they died they wouldn't go to hell. So if a person were jumping off a bridge, before they hit they would need to repent.

Hence the title of the book is named after the place where you need to repent "Between the Bridge and the River"

HOMG its an amazing book...seriously guys.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Mister

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 12:11pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
yeah, Catcher in the Rye would be a rather unusual choice for reading aloud, but that must have been a kind of neat family experience! I was read aloud to before bed until I was 10 or 11 years old, and I reallllly appreciate that looking back. I enjoyed it then too, of course.

I read Catcher on the Rye a few years ago, on my own, and I didn't particularly love it. I felt a bit obligated to read it because it's a teenager thing to do!

I don't know if I could possibly choose a favorite book. I really liked Ethan Frome when I read it, but I only read it once a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it qualifies. The Count of Monte Cristo was also really fun to read, and I wished it wouldn't ever finish (and it very nearly never did, heavy heavy book that it is!!! X-D)

The Count of Monte Cristo was my favourite book when I was a kid. I found it in the school library and brought it home with me, but my dad made me give that back, because it was a childrens edition. Then he gave me the long edition, and I'm so glad he did that, because it was awesome. It was this really old translation, leather bound and I was only allowed to read it in the House library, he was afraid I was gonna ruin it. But the smell and the feeling of it, so great.

It might still be my favourite book, I can' decide, there are so many books, and it's impossible to decide.

Beautiful thing, the destruction of words.

Help

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 12:30pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
The Subtle Knife-Phillip Pullman.

Britannicus

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 12:40pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?

Fantastic book. I have to say that The Amber Spyglass was my favorite of the series, though.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 2:04pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
I don't have an all-time favorite, so perhaps you'll forgive me if I list a couple that I like.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith. One of the best coming-of-age books ever written

A Great Deliverance - Elizabeth George - An excellent first mystery by a mystery master

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins. Puts the religion mess in excellent perspective

Crazy Horse - Mari Sandoz. A biography of the great Native American leader that's written in the form of a novel. She actually spoke to Crazy Horse's friends before writing it. Quite an old book, of course.

MoonLightSpiral

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 2:58pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?

Fantastic book. I have to say that The Amber Spyglass was my favorite of the series, though.

Is it peculiar that I have read both of these, but yet didn't feel any attachment to either? Maybe I'm just not a Pullman fan...

MoonLightSpiral

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 3:02pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Oh Jesus I don't know if I can do it!
I get restless if there's no break in Top Gear! X-D

Hahahaha! I could understand that completely.
Well there is an alternative, instead of setting aside a weekend to watch the movie- you set aside a month to read the book? Its a mere 1116 pages. I just started reading my really old, tattered, tired looking copy of it again.

I remember chapter 6 always gave me nightmares, that I was being killed by a giant reptile-bird hybrid.

Maxx England

Posted Sat Jun 27th, 2009 5:55pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
I succumb regularly to the works of Terry Pratchett. I like the way he takes our world and turns it on it's side in so many ways, and actually gets occasionally to say something fundamentally serious without losing the surrealism and humour that has made his fortune.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Jun 27th, 2009 6:29pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins. Puts the religion mess in excellent perspective

Crazy Horse - Mari Sandoz. A biography of the great Native American leader that's written in the form of a novel. She actually spoke to Crazy Horse's friends before writing it. Quite an old book, of course.

I've read both of these! I agree with you on the Dawkins, it's freakishly logical and I love his rationale. Crazy Horse is a favorite subject for me, but I'll devour anything pertaining to Native American History.

My all time favorite book though is Whitman's "Leaves of Grass", it's something I take out and re-read constantly...it grounds me when I need it. A lot of his original hand written work is at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center at the University of Texas, Austin. Just thought I'd mention that in case you decide to make that trip to Austin

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman