Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JSKanga84

Posted Sun Jun 28th, 2009 5:12am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
The Harry Ransom Center is really close to my building!! I've always meant to go there at some point because they've got a Gutenburg Bible. Not that I'll be able to touch it, not even with gloves like Stephen did, but I still want to see it.
Favorite books: hmmm. I'd say it's a tie between Jane Eyre and Dracula, with Frankenstein running a close second. I have a strange affinity for these Gothic originals...

MoonLightSpiral

Posted Sun Jun 28th, 2009 3:47pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Favorite books: hmmm. I'd say it's a tie between Jane Eyre and Dracula, with Frankenstein running a close second. I have a strange affinity for these Gothic originals...
I had to study Frankenstein and Dracula in school a few years ago.
I loved them both! I can't find Frankenstein to buy anywhere, I've looked in countless book stores. I'll just have to keep searching. :'(

PamJH

Posted Sun Jun 28th, 2009 4:11pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
I had to study Frankenstein and Dracula in school a few years ago.
I loved them both! I can't find Frankenstein to buy anywhere, I've looked in countless book stores. I'll just have to keep searching. :'(

Dracula is a marvelous book. Still scary after all these years.

exoskeleton

Posted Sun Jun 28th, 2009 4:50pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
oh, I will need to try Dracula! I read Frankenstein for school a few years ago and really liked it. neat themes and all...

(worst expressed post EVER.)

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 5:02am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
My favorite book, not for the story or anything literary like that X-D, was the first book I ever read which was the book that led to all other books I've ever read. I was three years old and read, I think it was titled, "Black Beauty".

Anyway, that's the only reason it's my 'favorite'. Otherwise, there's too many other good books I've read since that busily compete in my mind for first place, but never win. X-D Just too many 'favorites' I guess...

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 5:08am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
I used to read Black Beauty over and over again, then sit and cry and wish I had a beautiful horse. That makes me recall some books from my teenage years that I just loved, like Alice in Wonderland, Emmy Keeps a Promise, Tom Sawyer, etc.

exoskeleton

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 5:45am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
wow, Nitro, you read Black Beauty when you were three? that is half the age I was when I learned to read anything! very impressive.

I was looking at a list I made when I was 11 or so of the books I'd read recently, and one of them was "Mom, There's a Pig in my Bed!" which I don't even vaguely remember, not even after reading the summary. I suppose it was not one of my favorite books in that case!

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 5:45am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
wow, Nitro, you read Black Beauty when you were three? that is half the age I was when I learned to read anything! very impressive.

( apologizing profusely for any thread deviation I swear it's just to answer!!...)

Pam - are you pulling my leg about crying?

3 = Yes; One of my parents was kind of super-fixated on a person being able to read.

Never heard of There's A Pig In My Bed but I love that title!

(thanks for tolerating my answer if anyone did)

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 2:50pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?

Pam - are you pulling my leg about crying?

Absolutely not. Black Beauty's courage and resiliency were so heart-wrenching, so dramatic and so.....:'(

A year or so ago I got on a David Thewlis kick and watched his version of Black Beauty - then I cried some more.

And, as an adult, I'm afraid of horses. They're just so big.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 5:07pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?

Absolutely not. Black Beauty's courage and resiliency were so heart-wrenching, so dramatic and so.....:'(

A year or so ago I got on a David Thewlis kick and watched his version of Black Beauty - then I cried some more.

(((Nitro hugs Pam))). There, there dear. Now stop it before you make me cry and go ruining my image like that.

And, as an adult, I'm afraid of horses. They're just so big.

Fear of horses is normal. Anyone who says different, including and maybe especially 'horse people', is full of shit. Fearing 1200 lbs of biting, kicking,stepping, and bucking is logical.

And that's coming from someone who rides X-D

BTW, you mentioned a Crazy Horse book I'll have to read and Tobias you mentioned liking NA history so will mention this book:The Boy Captives by Clinton L. Smith.

It's not really broken into chapters so much as a running recollection of Clinton and his brothers ( Jeff) true experiences living for years with them ( the Indians ) before finally returning to their families safely. Clinton was 'adopted' by Chief Tosacowadi and Jeff by Geronimo. I think the first print was in 1927. Anyway Tobias, if you haven't read it you might like it. Sometimes it's brutal, sometimes funny.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 5:55pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Fear of horses is normal. Anyone who says different, including and maybe especially 'horse people', is full of shit. Fearing 1200 lbs of biting, kicking,stepping, and bucking is logical.

And that's coming from someone who rides X-D

BTW, you mentioned a Crazy Horse book I'll have to read and Tobias you mentioned liking NA history so will mention this book:The Boy Captives by Clinton L. Smith.

It's not really broken into chapters so much as a running recollection of Clinton and his brothers ( Jeff) true experiences living for years with them ( the Indians ) before finally returning to their families safely. Clinton was 'adopted' by Chief Tosacowadi and Jeff by Geronimo. I think the first print was in 1927. Anyway Tobias, if you haven't read it you might like it. Sometimes it's brutal, sometimes funny.

Thanks for the book rec Nitro, I'll check it out!

Who's afraid of horses? I have a Mustang named Jester, and every morning he comes to the open kitchen window, sticks his head through it and watches my dad read the paper as if to say "can I have the sports section when you're done with it?". The conversations my dad has with him are hilarious because my dad is a cornball and I love him. Anyway, with horses the thing to remember is that you've got to draw the line between fear and respect. I've broken a lot of horses and I've been broken by horses, you've got to know your boundaries with each and every one of them...kinda like people

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 8:46pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
I have nothing to do with horses (apart from having been sold some suspicious pies in the past), but one piece of advice I adhere to when near them is to stay out of range of their back legs. I have no intention of being the world's first organically induced astronaut.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 9:00pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Nitro, thank you for the hugs. I had to tuck David Thewlis and Black Beauty away out of sight just so I won't watch it again. And you'd like Crazy Horse, I'm quite sure.

Toby, a friend of mine would agree with you, but boy I'm still scared of what I think they might do when I'm not looking. They're just so big and powerful. And they know I'm afraid of them. They just have that look in their big brown eyes.

Maxx, I wouldn't want to see you get hurt, but I can picture you motoring into space.

Another book I like: Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie. He is an absolute master of the short story.

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 9:30pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Sorry to jump in, but did you say master of the short story? Let me give a plug to my favorite, O. Henry (William Sidney Porter). I had a substitute teacher who introduced him to me in seventh grade, and I immediatley fell in love with his work. Yeah, I really do think almost everything he wrote was fantastic. I must have at least four different versions of O. Henry's complete works, I cannot resist them. Alright I guess I need shut up now, I really could go on and on about him. It's funny I have been thinking while this tread was going that there really wasn't a book that I would call my favorite, until you mentioned short stories, oh yeah. Hmm, I think after I am done The Liar I may need to get one of those collections out again.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 9:42pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Anybody try any Damon Runyon? I only read one collection of short stories, but quite enjoyed it.

Different characters, society and painted with a different brush, but something just ever so slightly of the times of Wodehouse.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?