Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

exoskeleton

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 10:02pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
I have no intention of being the world's first organically induced astronaut.

best thing I've read all day!

Ginj, I've added O. Henry to my "authors of interest" list, thank.

I'm thinking more now...you know what is another neat book is Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury (same one from Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, The Veldt). I read it for school a couple of years ago. it is set in I think the 1930s in some small town in America. however, it's not normal for that time. it's not quite real, I think. it's a mix different stories that happen in that town over the course of a summer. it's not a book that seems obviously poignant but so many of the stories are so easy and interesting to read.

sockdolager.

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 11:02pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?

Really? That made me smile. May I suggest you start with The Last Leaf, that one is my favorite. Some of his stories you may already be familiar with, without realixing it (The Ransome of Red Chief; A Retrieved Reclamation; The Gift of the Magi).

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 1:16am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?

Really? That made me smile. May I suggest you start with The Last Leaf, that one is my favorite. Some of his stories you may already be familiar with, without realixing it (The Ransome of Red Chief; A Retrieved Reclamation; The Gift of the Magi).

ohh, now even more specific suggestions! I would never know what to read if didn't try what others enjoyed. looking at what's available in the library system, it looks like there are a lot of nice options for audiobooks, so I put a hold on one with six cassettes.

sockdolager.

PamJH

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 2:00am Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Sorry to jump in, but did you say master of the short story? Let me give a plug to my favorite, O. Henry (William Sidney Porter).

Oh, I like his work, too.

exoskeleton

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 4:26pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
last night I listened to The Gift of the Magi (which I have read before, though I didn't know it), The Last Leaf, The Girl and The Habit, and Memoirs if a Yellow Dog. the stories are all really nice. I like how they fit together without that being the whole point, and the asides (or whatever the lit term is for them) are great too!

sockdolager.

Shyamz

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 3:03pm Post subject: Your favourite book/novel?
Mine are Lolita, (I just love the way it's written, and the fact I didn't understand all the French references didn't prevent me enjoying it), The Virgin Suicides (even if it does have moments during the narration when it reads like a thesis study of teen depression, the good far outweighs the bad) and Dangerous Liaisons by Alexander De Laclos.

In fact I enjoyed that last one so much that it made me want to read more epistolary novels, so if anyone can recommend any good ones I'd love to know what they are. (I'm not too fussed about when they were written, but I suppose I'm not so keen on the more modern take on the style...far to whiny and self-absorbed, but I will try any if people say they are good).