Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 5:20am Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
What do you like about where you live?

What do you dislike about where you live?

Is the cost of living, compared to other places you've lived, higher or lower?

Just curious

Really? Wow.

elTweeno

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 1:06pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...

Living relatively close to town, a nice park and actually being close enough to visit my little cousin every 6 weeks or so.

Lack of shops (its a much smaller city than any I've grown up with), having to pay £28 every time I go to see my old friends, and the constant rain.

Is the cost of living, compared to other places you've lived, higher or lower?

Bus tickets are slightly cheaper, but otherwise its about the same really.

eT

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 1:26pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
I live half an hours drive from the sea and an hours drive from the Highlands and I'm close to a city as well, that's what I like about where I live.

Unfortunately, public transport is terrible and irregular, you need a car but with that comes the every rising costs of running a car. Though that's a really tiny complaint compared to what I gain by living here.

gjhsu

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 2:24pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
there's very little to dislike about Austin except maybe traffic during rush hour. It's Texas-adjacent in terms of personality. An oasis of oddity.

Help

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 3:13pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
I like that I live right on the coast, that however means, it's freezing and windy. When it's sunny there's a sudden explosion of tourists coming to visit which, isn't a bad thing for the shops but, I would like somewhere to park.
It has such a bad reputation for being a place where groups of stags and hens (I wouldn't even mind the animals ) come for parties as the drink is ridiculously cheap and places stay open all night.
But I still like it

elTweeno

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 3:39pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
When it's sunny there's a sudden explosion of tourists coming to visit which, isn't a bad thing for the shops but, I would like somewhere to park.

The same is true of my parents' village (where I grew up). I spend maybe a month there each summer, & end up walking to the shops or going to Asda for milk just so I can park!

If you're curious, I grew up in Newbiggin-by-the-Sea; similar to all other NE coastal towns except for the cheap-drink bit!

eT

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

michael

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 4:14pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
where i live is one of the bigger towns in the state, but you can cross it on a bike in no time at all.

it's a college town, but not like most. there's no funky bookstores or typical-college-town-head-shops. it's an ag school. so there's a huge boot store, and a giant beer barn that duellie trucks can drive through and throw beer in the back. people are moving in and out right now, and there's more horse trailers being used than u-hauls.

i'm not complaining though. It's the first place i've lived in that's walkable, has thai food, espresso, a good movie rental place, AND... a rodeo arena. pretty soon we may have some of those urban/collegetown perks without losing that practical & playful cowboy attitude.

i'm kinda lonely here, (well kinda may be an understatement) the town reminds me of where i grew up...but poised on a moment where it could become more progressive. so in a way i feel like i've come back to my roots to help it along.

oh and the weather...y'all probly know about that if you already know me, lol! anything from -10F to 119F, WINDY, dusty, large hail several times each spring, ice storms in winter that put out power for days, big big tornadoes...

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

exoskeleton

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 5:17pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
I like so many things. one specific thing I like is being surrounded by drumlins. the annoying hill I have to mow in my backyard is really the base of a drumlin. they're fun for watching the leaves change, and for hiking.

one thing that is disappointing is that it's too far from New York City to make reasonable daytrips there. I also wish we got all the British television and internet here, but that's more of a country issue than specifically where I live!

don't have anything to say on cost of living as I haven't moved, and right now I'm at home with my family.

sockdolager.

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 5:30pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
The weather. I can spend a lot of time outdoors and wear flip flops and shorts for much of it.
I can get Coke made with real cane sugar, instead of corn syrup. That probably sounds silly, but it makes a huge difference Great BBQ, and some of the best Mexican food to be had on either side of the boarder.
The level of friendliness and politeness. Even if you're a stranger, folks here will always make eye contact with you, say hello and ask how you are....and they'll genuinely mean it.
Cowboy hats and boots, folks wear them here and don't look silly.

Dislikes:
The August heat, it's often brutal.
Things are so far apart that unless you're right in town you must drive to get there, though I hasten to add that while I may feel bothered by this at times, I also wouldn't change it.
Vehicles parked on the front lawn, and living room furniture on the front porch.
The giant belt buckle, it always looks silly.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

JSKanga84

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 10:42pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
there's very little to dislike about Austin except maybe traffic during rush hour. It's Texas-adjacent in terms of personality. An oasis of oddity.
I seriously heart Austin. I've lived in TX my whole life, but this is the first time I've really enjoyed it, despite the hellish heat. I live in kind of an expensive area, but it's totally worth it, being on the bus route and 10 minutes away from campus.
Coke made with real sugar FTW!!!!

Katrina

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 10:51pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
I think I'll go for the organized list look:
-Close enough to Chicago to commute easily if I had to (not that I would have a job requiring a commute at this point)
-Everything's cheaper in the country
-All the benefits of Illinois without the high taxes
-Close enough to the Illinois border to get alcohol on Sundays if we forget to stock up on Saturday
-Really nice people who treat you like family after knowing them for about a week
-Small schools that allow you to be involved in everything you want while knowing everyone, plus we don't have cliques or anything, because that's just silly
-The multitude and variety of diners available
-All the fireworks you could ever desire are sold here
-Great weather, we get all four seasons, from REALLY hot to REALLY cold

Dislikes:
-There is a town you can walk around, but we live out on country roads, so it takes more than ten minutes in the car to get anywhere
-For all their good qualities, the schools just aren't able to provide all the opportunities I would've liked, like AP and a wider variety of activities
-Sometimes it's annoying that everyone know my dad because he's involved in EVERYTHING. One of the reasons I love watching Kingdom is because it reminds me of my dad's insurance agency with all its ridiculous customers, etc.
-Because everyone knows everyone, people can be really petty and hold grudges for sixteen generations
-We're technically a college town, which is kind of nice when we need a library, because Valpo U has a pretty nice one, but those damn college kids act like they actually accomplished something by getting into Valpo. But I guess I feel sorry for them because it would blow chunks to go to school in Valpo.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Katrina

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 10:57pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
I seriously heart Austin. I've lived in TX my whole life, but this is the first time I've really enjoyed it, despite the hellish heat. I live in kind of an expensive area, but it's totally worth it, being on the bus route and 10 minutes away from campus.
Coke made with real sugar FTW!!!!
Just another person who loves Austin! We lived in Dallas when I was little, but my cousins did (still do) live in Austin, and it's lovely. I have yet to go there as an adult, though, so I think I may have more fun now.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Midsomerlover

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 11:05pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...

I like my city (Bruges) a lot. Wherever I go, I can never get enough of the stunning scenery. You can almost smell history when you walk through the town. It means a lot to me. I'll probably never move out of the town, although it's an expensive place to live. I live & work there, went to school there and will probably die there .

BTW this is the city Stephen went to in 1995 during his nervous breakdown. I'd really like to find out what he thought of it (IF he thought SOMETHING of it because he probably wasn't interested in scenery if you know what I mean).

Well, from March to September it really is CROWDED with tourists and it slightly annoys me that some of them seem to think that Bruges is an attraction instead of a fully functional city. They take pictures in the middle of the street (I'm probably on a couple of hundred photos from Bruges all over the world), they never watch out when they cross it and they almost always leave clutter and garbidge behind, everywhere they go. But apart from that I live in a very lovely city. Nothing bad ever happens.

Is the cost of living, compared to other places you've lived, higher or lower
As I've said Bruges is an expensive city to live in. Renting prices are rather high as are the taxes. I couldn't compare it to another city. I've lived here all my life, so...

Just curious :D[/quote]

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

exoskeleton

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 11:19pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
They take pictures in the middle of the street (I'm probably on a couple of hundred photos from Bruges all over the world)

this happens to me at school all the time! it's so strange. I don't blame them really, the campus is beautiful with trees and some older architecture. still, I don't like how they're always around on the weekend, just when I'm wearing my most casual outfits! X-D

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Sat Jun 6th, 2009 5:25am Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
Drumlins! I love that word because it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with hills but with, maybe, beings smaller than Leprechauns X-D

Coke with....real sugar cane and not corn syrup? I am seriously and deeply envious of you right now. And I want one I admit it. I'm a Coke addict.

Coca-cola, not Coca-caine

And I'm going to run a photo search on Bruges now.

Happy to say I've been to Austin and during the summer even. It is a really cool little city and sure you all know about 'Austin City Limits', which I try to catch when I can. And I'll never forget sitting there watching the bats come out for what seemed to take hours. But it was spectacular for a visitor like me

As usual, you all reply in such a fun, creative way and I love that. It totally kicks up my curiosity and interest. Thanks for answering

Really? Wow.