Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Jun 6th, 2009 11:14pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
Double post!

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Jun 6th, 2009 11:50pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
[quote="Tobias Monk"]Happy to say I've been to Austin and during the summer even. It is a really cool little city and sure you all know about 'Austin City Limits', which I try to catch when I can. And I'll never forget sitting there watching the bats come out for what seemed to take hours. But it was spectacular for a visitor like me

The Congress Bridge bats are very cool, and their numbers are insane, something like 2 million I think. When I used to see them I would think about all the mosquitoes that wouldn't be able to bite me that night X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Sun Jun 7th, 2009 5:07am Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
[quote="Tobias Monk"]Happy to say I've been to Austin and during the summer even. It is a really cool little city and sure you all know about 'Austin City Limits', which I try to catch when I can. And I'll never forget sitting there watching the bats come out for what seemed to take hours. But it was spectacular for a visitor like me

The Congress Bridge bats are very cool, and their numbers are insane, something like 2 million I think. When I used to see them I would think about all the mosquitoes that wouldn't be able to bite me that night X-D

Isn't the colony there the 2nd biggest in the USA?

I heard a biologist say that if the bat population 'went away', we humans would be in a WORLD of hurt. Me and a neighbor are even going to build a bat house to encourage them 'hanging out' around here X-D

Really? Wow.

Peachy Keenan

Posted Mon Jun 8th, 2009 4:35pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
Okie dokie...

What do you like about where you live?
- the weather: surely, we have the best. It's perpetually sunny most of the year. It never snows but it does rain often in winter. It has a perfect mediterrainian climate
- where I live in particular is close to the city of Fremantle, a very pretty port city that is always full of good vibes and interesting people. A real melting pot of cultures.
- the music scene: we have rather a bustling music collective which has achieved plenty of national success and is always around to do some gigs.
- the beaches. There are lots. And they are fabulous.
- public transport is rather good, accessible and not very expensive.
- there is plenty of greenery! And our rivers are kept quite clean... 'cept for the odd algae outbreak, but there we are.
- I live in a very safe neighbourhood. Not much happens here, if that's your thing. It's a great place to live.
- It's also close to a large nature park, which has a few conservation tracks, if you're up for a long stroll (*cough*Stephen*cough), so you get to see Australia's native flora at it's best. It's also a paradise for people with dogs.
- Contrary to what a lot of people think, Perth is no "Dullsville", even if it is the most isolated city in the world. There is always plenty of nightlife, events, fests, concerts, eateries, entertainment, public spaces - the lot. It's no Sydney, but hey, we've only got 1.5 million people. A lot of acts and shows are coming here more often.
- I find most people I encounter in this city to be real friendly, funny and at ease with it all

What do you dislike about where you live?
- Perth drivers have a bad habit of being rather inconsiderate. While our roads are relatively safe, some people can be plain rude.
- I don't trust my government at all. They seem to just annoy at every opportunity and won't spend the money to fix certain things that this state needs.
- The heat in summer can get very unbearble - you will have temps between 35-40c. This is something a lot of Brit ex-pats tend to complain about and for once, I don't blame them.
- Public drunkness is always a problem, especially on a Friday night in the Northbridge area (home to a lot of our pubs and clubs) but as long as you hold your alcohol and stay with your friends, you'll be fine.
- I don't necessarily see it myself, but one of the big arguements about this city is that it's "backwards". It can seem like a one horse town sometimes.
- the freeway and some main roads tend to get very backed up at peak time.

Is the cost of living, compared to other places you've lived, higher or lower?
I have never lived anywhere else, so I wouldn't know! Due to an economic boom this state had recently, yeah, the cost of owning a house and rent has jumped significantly in recent years. Most places are fairly cheap but the cost of living has definitely higher than before.

Twittering @peachykeenan!

andrealein

Posted Mon Jun 8th, 2009 6:27pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
I like my city (Bruges) a lot. Wherever I go, I can never get enough of the stunning scenery. You can almost smell history when you walk through the town. It means a lot to me. I'll probably never move out of the town, although it's an expensive place to live. I live & work there, went to school there and will probably die there .
I just found a postcard from Bruges in my letter box. A friend was there and it seems she fell in love with it.

They take pictures in the middle of the street (I'm probably on a couple of hundred photos from Bruges all over the world), they never watch out when they cross it
She probably did that.

Okay, my place.
- that it's not a big city big and I'm able to get almost anywhere by bike
- I live only a 10 minute walk from the centre
- the bathing lakes
- old houses like the one I live in with high walls
- the cinemas, you can see almost every film and for students it's not too expensive
- that it's close to France and Switzerland

Dislikes
- that there aren't many clubs that I like (music)
- going out is expensive
- the tourists - maybe it's not as bad as in other cities you wrote of, but they're mostly elderly people who walk exceptionally slow and the streets are just too narrow
- as I lived in a small village before I sometimes miss being all alone and everything getting completely silent at night
- not enough parking space (but that also is not as bad as in other cities)

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 6:06am Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
Whoa! Hold on a minute there Andrea...did you say that your weather is OFTEN warm and sunny...in Germany? Just a little surprise is all and probably because when I went to Germany, there weren't very many sunny days. BUT, there were a few And I adore the people, including total strangers, that I met while there.

Perth, Austrailia...you described a perfectly lovely place to live. It sounds really nice. I can't remember the title, sorry, but I read a book last year on Austrailia's history and it was quite interesting. BTW, I had an Austrailian snowboard instructor here in the states once. He spent his winters here teaching and then in our summer flew back to his home, so he was teaching year round ( He was also very cute! )

Really? Wow.

andrealein

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 10:55am Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
Whoa! Hold on a minute there Andrea...did you say that your weather is OFTEN warm and sunny...in Germany? Just a little surprise is all and probably because when I went to Germany, there weren't very many sunny days. BUT, there were a few And I adore the people, including total strangers, that I met while there.
Haha. Maybe the weather's not often warm and sunny in comparison to, let's say Perth, but it's warm and sunny in comparison to the rest of Germany. It's even the city with the most hours of sun a year (I looked it up because I don't trust the tourist industry and it seems to be true). Of course, when the sun isn't shining it's raining. But that's good for the wine so nothing to complain about

Julia from Bristol

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 12:15pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
Well, what can I tell you about Bristol?

-Close to the motorways so we can whizz to other areas (not because we want to get away from Bristol though!)
-My road is in the north of the city where there isn't as much deprivation. Areas in the south are quite bad
-Lots of amenities, both local & in the city
-Good parks, museums, educational establishments (univ)
-Reasonable cost of living

Dislikes:
-City council not much good although now that there is one party in power it may change.
-Public transport is expensive & drivers are quite reckless!

I have a cunning plan!

CollectorManiac

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 2:40pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...
I like where I live because it's relatively cheap
However, mostly I dislike where I live because it's, well it's crap, a bus journey into town is filled with the knowledge that somewhere along the way you're likely to be absconded by a group of preteens in tracksuits, if not adults in tracksuits on bad days, and that you will see nothing but pasty, spotty white faces. And this is why I choose to instead take the train into manchester as often as possible.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 9:13pm Post subject: Your town/city/cave/barn/whatever...

Haha. Maybe the weather's not often warm and sunny in comparison to, let's say Perth, but it's warm and sunny in comparison to the rest of Germany. It's even the city with the most hours of sun a year (I looked it up because I don't trust the tourist industry and it seems to be true). Of course, when the sun isn't shining it's raining. But that's good for the wine so nothing to complain about

Sehr gut!

I was in the northern part of Germany, just about an hour from the Dutch border ( which made getting into Amsterdam a snap! man I love your train system! ). I really, really enjoyed it there and while I can't recall the name of it, ( probably because I quit drinking in favor of being a really boring person ), I had a locally grown wine ( a blush ) that was just totally delicious!

One thing that impressed me about you folks 'over the pond' is that you really know how to use interior space much better than we do. I noticed this just visiting around in Germany and England so I'm speaking from limited experience here. Anyway, I'll shut up about it. My American friends hate when I start going on about my various fascinations with Europe and especially when I mention how much 'younger', in terms of history, we are and why it might explain our immature attitudes about certain things X-D

All the answers here are great because 1) it's coming from native sources and experiences and 2) it really impresses on me how little I know X-D

BTW, the drivers in England freaked me out! I thought I knew what aggressive driving was till I got there. It didn't help that all the traffic was going the wrong way either X-D

Really? Wow.