Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Mr H

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 1:18pm Post subject: Yule Music with a twist!

Yule Music with a twist!

A couple of years ago, I looked at a couple of hundred artists Christmas albums (no compilations). For my own amusement, and it was great fun, strangely I did this in late January early February. The interesting thing, is that some of the most ridicules commercial endeavours has been “The Christmas Album” and off course, you have the anti Christmas song. Through this I also fund some real musical Yule Pearls. Strangely the all hade one thing in common! That they were all American, is not so strange, the biggest market and so on. But the most interesting, innovative, and the highest professional artistic standard reached, were all from black performers. I can find a couple off possible reasons for this, first they have not been tied down by tradition, in their life’s and chosen musical chancre, for instance Blues and Jazz, are famous for its artful musical reinterpretations. The second reason it’s that I simply hadn’t heard them before, of course there been black holiday performers in my life, like the fabulous Nat King Cole and it’s not Yule without Mahalia Jackson’s three original Christmas album, my mum is a Mahalia fan. The third and most sinister reason is that they have been deprived of their right full place in our Christmas traditions, for the shade of their skin. How ever it’s a brave new world, and we make the traditions! Here is what came out when I sifted through, I hope this information can brighten up your Holiday, maybe as Christmas gift to a friend our to your self. The case maybe, that you already know about these records, and even own some, then I can only humbly congratulate on your excellent musical holiday taste!

The Christmas Album list:

-Fats Domino -Christmas Cumbo, 1993
My personal favourite, you can even dance to it!

-B.B. King - A Christmas Celebration of Hope, 2003.
It’s B.B King!

-Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas, 1960.
It’s Ella!

-James Brown - Funky Christmas, 1995.
This man really knew what Christmas is about.

-Ray Charles - The Spirit of Christmas, 1985.
It’s Ray Charles!

-The Temptations -Christmas Card, 1970.
A real Motown Christmas.

A very Merry Christmas and a really god New Year, to you all!
-Please! Feel free, and ad your own list of favourite Holiday Music.

quantumofire

Posted Mon Dec 21st, 2009 9:13pm Post subject: Yule Music with a twist!

I remember Phil Spector was famous for doing christmas songs. A friend of mine, years back, had a compilation album of these tracks. It worked great with his wall of sound, though I can't recall the title of any of them.

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Dec 23rd, 2009 7:04pm Post subject: Yule Music with a twist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC7Fidb5ZDM

the Festivus song

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

samchastain

Posted Mon Jan 11th, 2010 2:36am Post subject: Yule Music with a twist!

There's a song by the Pogues called "Fairytale of New York" that I've always thought of as being "melancholy Christmas music". Quite a good tune.