Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

michael

Posted Tue Dec 30th, 2008 6:32pm Post subject: zero room??
some recent threads make me wanna ask about the purpose of the Zero Room.

I remember it was created as an outlet to reduce or prevent arguments that happened in other parts of the forum.

so if that's the case, it's not really a good place to attempt a debate, but an outlet for hollering. though some good debates/discussions do happen...

but we wouldn't want it to become "the scream until everyone's feelings are stomped on" room either, right?

anyone have ideas, comments, etc about what zero room is?

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Nitro

Posted Wed Dec 31st, 2008 1:10am Post subject: zero room??
Vent, rant and blow off steam

For me, Michael, the description provided is enough to clarify at least the general intent of this 'room'. I don't think the intent was to 'vent, rant or blow' at other people directly or indirectly, but rather to just voice some frustration however big or trivial.

I fully agree with you that if a debate should occur, it is wholly unnecessary to insult or insinuate character faults on the parts of posters. It is possible to disagree with people without becoming hostile towards them. Those who do go on the attack are, IMNSHO, being fairly lazy about making their opinion or position known.

Really? Wow.

joan

Posted Wed Dec 31st, 2008 7:40am Post subject: zero room??
I left my linguistics forum 'cos someone was nasty to me. Nobody has upset me here though, but if they did, I'd just avoid that thread. I like this forum too much to take my bat home.

Oh, talking of cricket bats - I've just finished 'Parky', Michael Parkinson's autobiography...he is nuts about cricket: I'm not, but it was nice to read about someone's life experiences I could relate to, being from the same part of the world. Wish I'd taken up journalism as a young 'un - sounded like a lot of fun.

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Dec 31st, 2008 9:05pm Post subject: zero room??
Wish I'd taken up journalism as a young 'un - sounded like a lot of fun.

It's never too late you know.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

michael

Posted Fri Jan 2nd, 2009 9:55pm Post subject: zero room??
I left my linguistics forum 'cos someone was nasty to me. Nobody has upset me here though, but if they did, I'd just avoid that thread. I like this forum too much to take my bat home.

yeah, i'm not upset at anyone either. and like being here and want everyone else to like being here too.

i was thinking back also, to a thread from months ago, i think it got into feminism, etc. and turned into a debate and one person said something about how they wanted to be able to vent their frustrations and didn't intend on it becoming a debate. they just wanted to hear a "hell yeah!" back, if you know what i mean.

and i understood what they meant by that. i've used this section a few times too.

but there's been heated stuff in here (zero room), not talking about any one thread in particular, just what's been going on over time. sometimes new registrations that are complete trolls post something here knowing it will start a fight, and what better place to put it then the a.k.a. "fight room"??

yeah, i guess all that will always go on sometimes regardless, it has occasionally for as long as i've visited here. so i don't know what i'm asking really!

maybe just wondering if this room is doing what it's supposed to do? i guess if all the fights happen here, then it is??

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 3rd, 2009 5:07am Post subject: zero room??
There are other fights that have definently not been confined to this room X-D
'

Really? Wow.

Occy

Posted Sat Jan 3rd, 2009 6:35am Post subject: zero room??
if this forum is intended for a vent with no replies the mods can set it so only one post can be made - ie no replies

IF that is...

Corona

Posted Sat Jan 3rd, 2009 4:15pm Post subject: zero room??
I think you have to have the replies or you end up with a lot of little bits and then you have to sort out what other heading any of them go with.

michael

Posted Sat Jan 3rd, 2009 4:21pm Post subject: zero room??
There are other fights that have definently not been confined to this room X-D
'

of course! it's only natural

i've just always been kinda at a loss about what this area's for...
so i went back and found this

http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34942#34942

which was linked in with the first post here as where the idea came from.

do threads ever get "sent" here?

Shyamz

Posted Sun Jan 4th, 2009 11:27pm Post subject: zero room??
I thought it was a place where people could come and vent their frustrations and anger about things if they needed to, without it affecting the other forum areas? At least that's what it said at the beginning.

That's how I've used it in the past anyway, and most people seem to as well, I've never heard of anyone coming here to argue or to as for assistance about someone been nasty to them, as thankfully that kind of behavior would not be allowed here.

Think of it as an online Room 101.