Third Party Products
- www.pushnote.com – Comment anywhere. Share and discuss in real-time.
- FAQs for Pushnote please click here.
How do I subscribe to Stephen’s Podcast?
- You will need to download and install Podcast subscription software to your computer. Stephen recommends using iTunes for his Podcasts (Podgrams).
- Copy and paste the URL for your podcast into the software.
- Stephen’s Podcasts are audio and image rich files. This means they contain images to accompany the audio recording. For that reason the file is an .m4a (MPEG-4) and NOT at .mp3. If you cannot open the .m4a file please refer to the instruction for how to open the file in the last paragraph.
- You can view the images of the podcast in your iTunes browser window and all 3+ generation iPods and iPhones. You can also listen to the podcast and not watch. It’s up to you.
How do I set up the Podcast in iTunes?
- Download iTunes to your computer (PC or Mac).
- Install iTunes on your computer.
- Once installed, open the iTunes player.
- Go to the Audio Video pages
- You can click on the “iTunes” Podcast button to have it automatically subscribe to the Podcast. This is a FREE podcast. If this does not automatically open iTunes and subscribe your podcast:
- Highlight the enter URL located here: feed://www.stephenfry.com/podcasts/rss.xml and copy the text, (right click on the highlighted text and select copy).
- Then go to iTunes and in the horizontal menu at the top, click “Advanced“.
- After the drop-down menu displays, click on “Subscribe to Podcast…”.
- In the URL prompt box, paste the URL you copied (right click in the box and select paste).
- Hit OK and you have successfully subscribed to your Podcast.
- You can also click the RSS button (orange). This will take you to a page listing Stephen’s Podcasts. You have options to click the file itself and that will cause it to download and automatically open using your web browser or default media player OR (and we recommend this), you add by click the option on the right hand column “Subscribe in iTunes”. Remember this is FREE.
- Once the Podcast initially updates with the first episode, you can click on the triangle located next to the Podcast in iTunes, this will display the files available for download.
Why would I listen to a Podcast?
- Subscribing to the Podcast allows you to listen (and watch) Stephen when out walking, pretending to work or whatever other way you like.
Do I need an iPod to listen to a Podcast?
- No, you do not need an iPod to Podcast or even use iTunes.
- All of the podcast files are encoded as either .m4a or mp3 files, the most universal format for listening on various devices. Because Stephen’s podcasts have photos and other images you can watch as well as listen to each podcast using almost any computer application: iTunes will play the episode but you may also try Windows Media Player, Real Audio Player, WinAmp, and many others.
- You can also burn the files to a CD so you can listen on your stereo. You can also transfer these files to any portable media device like the iPod or other mp3 players – and now your iPhone (which is rather splendid) and of course any other phone.
Help! I’m having trouble opening the .m4a file.
- If you use iTunes you should be able to view this file without adjustments.
- If you continue to have problems, try downloading the alternative .mp3 file, which contains the same broadcast but without images