Podgram

Language: English
    Duration: 33m 09s
    Size: 30.6 MB
    Format: Audio & Visual Podcast
    Release date: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 12:12pm

Description:

Stephen Fry discusses his language. This is a podcast version of the blog.

• AUDIO & VISUAL (.m4a - audio, images & hyperlinks)
      Free subscription via the iTunes Store: iTunes
      Free Subscribe via direct RSS link: RSS
    • AUDIO ONLY (PC friendly .mp3)
      Free to download using iTunes Player: iTunes
      Free Subscribe via direct RSS link: RSS
  • Listens: 51,140
    Rate this: 1 star2 star3 star4 star5 star

6 comments on “Series 2 Episode 3, Language”

1. Sub-Level28 says:

Refreshing to hear your thoughts in this matter. :)

While I am not obsessive about language myself in that I don’t go around being a grammar police or some such thing.
    I do take pride in using it “properly” when writing and expanding my knowledge about them. And increasing my skill in expressing myself, you know increasing the vocabulary and such things.
    I want to learn one or two more in my lifetime.

And english is my second language by the way.

2. korova_milk_bar says:

This podcast has come to be such a help to me recently as a second year undergraduate trying to understand the basics for critical theory. Difficult thing to do but for anyone looking to even simply grasp the basic ideas of Saussuere then I highly recommend this podcast. It has been an invaluable and a great aid in allowing me to gain a very good initial understanding without boring the pants off me in class. If only all lecturers talked like Mr Fry, mmm, what a thought!

3. mrsllew says:

Having only recently listened to this particular podcast, I am mindful that you didn’t want people to comment on misuses of language, but this one that happened to me today must be shared:

I have recently fallen pregnant for a second time, and had a booking-in appointment with the midwife. I had to read through and sign several forms, one of which asked for my religion. Underneath this space it stated that I may wish to “be visited by a Chaplin” in the hospital. I don’t know that I want my newborn child’s first experience of faith to be a short man with a clipped moustache, bandy legs and a skill for physical comedy!

Just tickled me so I thought you’d like to know…

4. Harry Lime says:

This is my first podcast, and was not a bit what I expected; a college lecture-ish sort of thing, particularly one on not being an English snob, or perhaps more clearly and less offensively, a snob of English usage. On one hand, I want to physically harm people who use “had went”. Otherwise, and I feel not contradictorily, I agree on a generally permissive attitude for the literate. I am secretly galled by Dr. Hyphen, the super-villain of correctness of my order. But till today I didn’t realize his diabolical crime was pedantry. I thought they put you in jail for that. I also despair about the limitations of my education… my teachers didn’t know bugger about Greek.

5. Harry Lime says:

The phrase ‘fell pregnant’ has never fallen on my ears before. Wictionary refers to article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3626615/How-words-fall-pregnant-with-the-possibility-of-being-twisted.html but this isn’t a really positive reflection on the phrase. Reads more like an indictment of our epoch. Didn’t want today to end but that I had ‘actioned’ this.

6. da_phish says:

I just need to comment that today or at least the rather binary today that ended 50 minutes and a bottle and a half of wine ago was the day I learned that my better half will be having my child. It’s early days on that front but I would like to assure Mr Fry that I will ensure it is heard by my currently genderless progeny whenever they are old enough to hear it.