Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ysabella

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 1:16am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Wow, so long! I was expecting shorter I guess. Well, they don't all have to be this long, though certainly welcome to be of course.

Such nice listening. I'm sure I'm not alone in how much I like hearing his voice, chatting in this candid way. Plus, like many Americans I really enjoy the sound of British accents. I think the quickness of his mind is evident in his manner of speaking.

I feel sorry for his trauma around the arm-breaking accident, since I have some specific sympathy for that. I had a lousy bike accident a few years ago, which only resulted in a sprained shoulder (thanks to wearing a helmet), but did involve brief unconsciousness and amnesia - and I was amazed at how much it traumatized me. Thinking back to it, or looking at the deeply dented helmet, freaked me out and scared me for a while. I got right back on the bike after a week or so, then I hung it up over the winter. In the spring, when I first went to take the bike out for a ride, I clipped into the pedals and promptly burst into tears. Our brains just do these things I guess. So I can kind of imagine what he's dealing with there.
It makes sense for him to want even more to keep working, although he probably can't. He'll have to try to strike a balance between taking care of himself and getting everything done. Unfortunately, the taking care of himself parts are going to be hard work, if he has to do physical therapy. That stuff isn't easy.

It was very sweet and sort of affectionate to his fans. It makes me want to knit him...an arm cozy, or something. Or record a response, if I could think of anything to say. Maybe I could, although it would be five minutes maximum. Maybe we all should record some encouraging responses that he can listen to when he goes for a walk or does whatever arm movements end up being prescribed? You know he has plenty of portable electronics he could put them on, and hopefully he would be inclined to give a listen.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 2:32am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
do any of you know that song by the flaming lips called "the spiderbite song"? it keeps coming up on my ipod and it reminds me of mr. stephen.

so...i put it on a cd and sent it. 'cause that's pretty much what i wish i could tell the fella.

....will probably erase this later!

canis rufus

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 2:32am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but when Stephen said the bit about the radial nerve...*shudder* I pictured it loosely strung between the two ragged parts of the bones on the x-ray and that was when I gasped out loud. OUCH. Thank God he didn't sever it.

I have to say I was befuddled at how the doctors in Miami thought he didn't need surgery--I'd like to see the x-rays THEY took. I think Stephen needs to give himself more credit--all the flights he took with no hard cast to stabilize that nasty break... I think even those of us with a high pain tolerance would be whimpering under those circumstances.

I hope the second surgery was planned and not the result of complications of the injury. I also hope that it goes well. Stephen, I know work is your life, but please give yourself a little reprieve! I think you have more than earned it!

LilyG

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 2:56am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
oh wow that was great, stephen should do podcasts ALOT more often!

i loved how un-edited and at times rambly it was...near the end when he talks about all the horrible things in the world in comparison to his broken arm i was just going 'NAAAWWWWWWWW!'

i cant believe how badly his arm was broken though.

*ick*

more more more!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 3:05am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
I was in more or less pretty dreadful pain and thinking myself a terrible weasel and having such a low pain threshold and being such a wimp and making such a fuss about what was clearly an ordinary broken arm . . .

Makes me want to get a step ladder, climb to the top of it, look Stephen straight in the eye, and say, "DUDE!"

And then leave.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Nele

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 3:13am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
OK, I hate this kind of fan group thingy but Ysabella, I think that is a brilliant idea (I would make a quote but I can't be bothered, anyway two posts up is Ysabella's idea, have a look) So I'm game, what can I do?

I love what he said about people being tormented, raped and murdered all over the world while he gets depressed about a broken arm. And of course he's right because, well, self-pity really is just intellectual masturbation.
I mean look at us, kids are indeed starving in Africa, women are really being mutilated, there's war and AIDS and famine and death all around and instead of feeding the world or finding a cure against AIDS or just helping a homeless person down the street, we are all here worried sick about a man we've never even met, who might in real life be an absolute cunt. Can we know for sure? Then again he's Stephen Fry. The man who forced me to love the English language, who every time I see him bloody-mindedly bashes his humility, kindness, naivety and tolerance into my scull. The man who made me cherish and treasure my Jewish heritage, my gayness (homosexuality sounds so clinical), my quirks, my terrible nose, even my chubby tummy, simply because he's got all of the above and he's wonderful, ergo so am I. He's one big reason against committing suicide, because if he had, just think of all the wonderful things that would never have been created. (Ode Less Traveled, e.g. which I just have to look into time and again, which gave me greater pleasure then well anything else, really)

So, I say, we stay here and mollycoddle poor Stephen and help a beggar next time we see one, so we don't have to feel bad about feeling bad for poor mollycoddled Stephen. And Stephen, well really, I think you can just feel sorry for yourself, not because you have a right to (frankly no one has taking the state of the world into acount) BUT because you have done so much for the world already. You might not know but think of all the Jewish fatties who have not committed suicide because of you but instead written a sonnet. Go pity yourself, you deserve it!

ysabella

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 4:19am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Wow, Nele, just put that into second-person and read it aloud into the microphone. That would be a nice message right there. I figure, make a small sound file and link it right here in this thread, as a response to the podgram. We can't exactly expect him to listen, but it can't hurt, right?

I might try to do something, but there will probably be a babbling toddler in the background saying MAMA MAMA MAMA

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 5:13am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Le transcript.

You´re a star, Fryphile! Thanks for all the effort
(from someone that is not listening impaired, but more of a "visual type" )

God, why do I end up here when all I wanted to do is check my emails But it´s off to work now... tara

j9r

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 5:16am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Really wanted to give him a big hug......yes the world is bad, and other have it way worse than you but having to cut off a cast on a newly broken arm is so worthy of great pity. I am thinking some of those people who have it worse would even agree. That had to be some incredibly stupid Homeland Security law.

I can't wait for more installments. I walk to work and 20 minutes is about right.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 7:40am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Hey can I be lazy and just copy and paste my post from the other thread too?
:P
This is the sad fate of people like me: The things I have to say suffice for only one post per topic. This is why someone invented copy&paste

elsa b

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 11:37am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
do any of you know that song by the flaming lips called "the spiderbite song"?

Of course! That is such a perfect song for this. I think everyone needs to see the lyrics.

to lose your arm would surely upset your brain
the poison then could reach your heart from a vein
I was glad that it didn't destroy you
how sad that would be
'cause if it destroyed you,
it would destroy me

Of course, I suppose he's not out of the woods yet, if that article is right and he's still going in for more surgery. I can't believe the docs in Miami sent him home with nerves and bits of bone hanging out together. Honestly.

...and I think if I found out that Stephen Fry listened to the Flaming Lips, I would keel over with glee.

alex the circus muppet

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 11:41am Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Stephen (and all the lovely forum frequenters),
What a break.
My partner fell off the top of an aerial rig (about three storeys high) not long ago. He was very lucky he wasn’t seriously injured, but the shock of the fall was quite damaging.
Injuries tend to make me feel thoroughly insecure -not just maimed... They force you to acknowledge your mortality or physical limitations.
Which, at least for me, is a very scary thought... to know that I could be completely sound of mind but physically unable to do the basic things I once could.
Anyway, just wanted to say I sympathise with any frustration you might be feeling in not being able to work. ‘Work to live’ or ‘live to work’? -There’s a certainly something in the idea that work is/gives a sort of atheistic purpose to life... especially if you enjoy the work you do.
Alex

TinaL

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 1:26pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
I love listening to him. It is like having him right next to me talking about all that. And I feel like his voice goes into my soul and rests there making something amazing with me. No words for that...

But please Stephen, I can only say it again, take care and don't start work too early. You are an admirable person, I can't imagine anyone who would dare to make you neglet your health...they'll wait for you, because you are worth waiting for a loooooooong loooooooong time

love that sleepy kind of talking, by the way

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 1:35pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Has anyone else seen the accompanying photos for the podcast? I added it to my iPod (seeing as I was adding a bunch of stuff) and found when I play it there's a bunch of photos of things like the America trip and some photos of a boat and a manatee in the Amazon. I'm guessing this is normal for podcasts but I've never had an iPod before to add them to, just a 2-line mp3 player. *strokesiPod*

Aww, well that was a bit of a depressing listen, yet one for which everyone is grateful for, bless 'im!;-)

Definitely a decidedly cheesed off Stephen and rightly so... but I hope his cheerfulness has returned by now!

Anyone else think his voice sounded reaaally deep? I actually started adjusting the bass levels thinking it was just my sound system! X-D

I thought so. He sounded a bit different to normal. Understandable though if he was in pain, had just taken sleeping pills and will have been feeling down about the whole thing.

Poor dear.
While he was talking about how he wanted and needed to keep working, not throw the schedule off, etc, I wanted to tell him that it's OK to take time off!! It really is. I used to not think so, and I'd go to work with a fever, hacking mucus, dizzy, with pink eye-- I was a real trouper. But now, I realize that it really is OK to just stop everything, derail the train, and get well. Then you can go back to whatever busy thing you were doing before.

More people need to start doing that. It's no good people going into work when they're sick. I used to push myself to go in as well but you're really not helping anyone by doing so. Not only are you not working at your optimum productivity but you're helping keep the cycle of illness going in the workplace and spreading it. After the horrible endless cycle of illnesses I went through before christmas I'm looking after myself more and trying to keep my strength up.

oh wow that was great, stephen should do podcasts ALOT more often!

i loved how un-edited and at times rambly it was...near the end when he talks about all the horrible things in the world in comparison to his broken arm i was just going 'NAAAWWWWWWWW!'

I loved the rambliness as well and that bit near the beginning when he kept saying "Er.....er.......er........er..."

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 1:56pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
The rambliness and the whole podcast being unedited and in a very casual manner is great, because it creates the feeling that he's sitting right next to you on the sofa chatting with you. I also found his voice deep, a bit sleepy and somehow as if he had a cold.