Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ClareBear

Posted Sat Mar 8th, 2008 11:10pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Whee, credits!

ysabella

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 12:35am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I'm pleased by the use of the New World Symphony. Also I can't help but be warmed by the nice things he says about America, and the attempts at apparent stereotype-busting.

Listening a second time now

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 2:48am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I think there are probably more people who dislike dancing than there are people who like it. I'm not a big fan myself, though I will dance at home with my wife from time to time and even then there's usually a motivational force at work.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 5:08am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Whee, credits!

CONGRATS ATARI!!

that's pretty cool. it's pretty. and it's cool.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 7:37am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Whee, credits!

CONGRATS ATARI!!

that's pretty cool. it's pretty. and it's cool.

wow, that's really cool

I loved the second podgram, so much that I received funny looks when I listened to it on the bus yesterday. Glad to hear him so much more cheerful.
I can't dance either, but I often wish I could.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 9:50am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I do enjoy watching people dance in musicals whether on the telly or in the theatre. I've never watched any of those shows that are so popular right now like Strictly Come Dancing or Dancing on Ice. My mum watches those but they've never appealed to me. I'm not interested in seeing dancing as a competition.

I just wanted to make a comment about dancing, and it's going to sound tremendously racist, and it's not meant that way at all. Just watch people dancing, you'll see it's true. White people will follow the lead of black people on the dance floor.
It's odd and a bit funny. The next time you're in a situation where there are a lot of people dancing, take a look around. You'll notice it.

That really depends on where you're going. If you go into a mainstream club sure but if you go to an alternative club the dance styles will be very different and you won't see dance influences from styles such as hip hop. In clubs that play metal there are different dance styles or moshing (is this dancing or not mmm), you go in a punk club and again different dance styles, go to a goth club and there's a variety of dance styles. In goth clubs I've noticed a number of people who's dance styles are influenced by the likes of Robert Smith and Morrissey more than anything and a very common dance is the two-steps-forward-two-steps-back. This is what I like about these types of clubs, everyone's dancing in different ways so I don't have to worry about how to dance I can dance my own way and I don't have to worry about dancing in a certain style. Oh and no girls dancing round handbags. I like it when they jump genres from goth to EBM to industrial to punk to new romantic. It makes it more fun and you can change dancing style otherwise it can get a bit boring if it's the same style all night. Except when gothic metal plays. You can't dance to Nightwish. Okey some people can. I can't. I don't know how to. I suck.

Behold the beauty!

L'Oreal Cover Girl pose.

That's the picture! He is toooo cute and adorable! ^_^

Whee, credits!

Wow that's so cool Atari!

Assuming direct control...

JemTheRoberts

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 10:26am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
My instinct is of course to wholeheartedly agree with Stephen, but I find I can't – and like the best essays, that leaves the digester keen to answer back.

While I've always found it impossible to get on with Dance as an artform, as a serious mode of expression (and indeed in everyday life as a 'cool thing', to take to the dancefloor with any intent to exhibit or pose), Senator Fry is forgetting the one all-encompassing characteristic of dance, when done properly - SILLINESS.

Surely to dance with nothing in mind but self-mockery and exaggerated aplomb is the default way, for most of us? Perhaps it's just a British thing, I don't know, but Stephen himself has a splendid line in dancercising, which is faultless within the tradition of piss-taking body-popping! The inherent stupidity of dance seems to me to envelope the entire subject like a protective womb, rendering it completely safe from hatred and mockery.

But then I can sympathise with SJF in a very different way, because the greater part of how he feels about dance chimes precisely with how I personally feel about SPORT. Not so much the taking part, which is excusable (at least on an amateur level), but the glorifying in and promotion of sport – beyond your local footie rec or cricket pitch, and into the realm of 24-hour multichannel sport worshipping – is anathema to me. I don't understand it, I don't like it, but I find myself in a quandry as to the millions of folk far more learned, pleasant and admirable than me, that LOVE it. Like, well, Stephen Fry.

That's an extremely long and verbose way of saying 'each to their own', isn't it? Ah well. Each to their own.

whatonearth

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 12:25pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
i had to try really hard not to be all patronising and feel sorry for him during this podgram - i've got no rhythm either and i can't hold a note, so i don't usually sing or dance in front of strangers but i still love it nevertheless and sometimes it's all the more fun for being crap because i can just do what i like so it seems like a bit of a shame that stephen can't even have fun doing that in the privacy of his own home, for example. but if he's fine with it then i really have no right to feel that way :-//

Panja

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 1:03pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I'm a terrible dancer, but sometimes it's just fun to move to the music and enjoy. I love watching professional ballroom dancing, it's just so graceful and amazing when two people can move together like that so smoothly. It makes me sad that he didn't watch Dirty Dancing, that's one of my favourite movies and I just saw the stage version and loved it! But to each his own.

I also have to add that one of my favourite Fry & Laurie sketches is the one where Stephen dancersizes. I can watch that sketch over and over again and it's funny every single time, I think he dances wonderfully!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 1:58pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I'm a terrible dancer, but sometimes it's just fun to move to the music and enjoy. I love watching professional ballroom dancing, it's just so graceful and amazing when two people can move together like that so smoothly. It makes me sad that he didn't watch Dirty Dancing, that's one of my favourite movies and I just saw the stage version and loved it! But to each his own.

I've always enjoyed watching other people dance. Just recently I went to a show put on by some local dance schools and they were doing a variety of tap dancing, ballets and what they called modern dancing to songs like Vienna, Let's Dance, Thriller and so on. It was great and it was the first time I'd ever seen real live ballet being performed. It was wonderful to see. I really want to see more. I've never learnt any kind of formal dancing but I sure do enjoy watching those who can do it.

I also have to add that one of my favourite Fry & Laurie sketches is the one where Stephen dancersizes. I can watch that sketch over and over again and it's funny every single time, I think he dances wonderfully!

I love watching that sketch too. I can watch Stephen's dancersizing again and again too. He wasn't too bad in Discovery of Heaven either.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 2:20pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Behold the beauty!

Aaaaaww
Thanks for posting the "visual material", Fryphile!

Congrats on the credits, Atari

Panja

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 2:46pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I love watching that sketch too. I can watch Stephen's dancersizing again and again too. He wasn't too bad in Discovery of Heaven either.

I hadn't heard of that before, but now after checking it out on imdb I really want to! Hopefully I can find it somewhere

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 3:18pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE

I hadn't heard of that before, but now after checking it out on imdb I really want to! Hopefully I can find it somewhere

My copy came from Thailand. It was half the price of ordering it from here secondhand and it was a new sealed copy too. Good luck in finding a copy it's a bloody good film!

bnt

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 4:02pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I'm generally in agreement with SF on the topic of Dancing, though I did make an effort as a teenager. I was quite energetic, and at one point a girl asked me "are you doing aerobics"? (It was the 80s, when Jane Fonda was in her leotard. That was the end of dancing, for me, and I can't understand why any sensible people would embarrass themselves that way. I've watched a friend try Latin dancing, and suffered no urge to join in, while ballroom dancing just looks like ice dancing in shoes i.e a competitive sport.

However, there is a glimmer of hope: I have seen a few Fred Astaire / Ginger Rogers movies, and if I thought I could learn to dance nearly as well, I would reconsider. I just need to lose about half my weight, so it'll be a decade, at least...

PS: there are certain forms of Rock music that have more in common with Classical: I'm thinking of the much-maligned Progressive Rock music. The canonical example of this has to be King Crimson, which has evoked Stravinsky and Bartok at times. Their Larks' Tongues in Aspic album is a bit like Rite of Spring on LSD, I think.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Mar 9th, 2008 6:38pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I understand his sentiments and all...but i'm not like that about dancing really.

I myself, I sometimes like dancing...but I used to be very uncomfortable with it so you won't see me forcing anyone else to go. for me it's not a mating thing or an art thing, it's just part of how i am when i'm happy and it makes other people laugh.

But, hey, I probably get a kick out of the things Mr Fry writes about BECAUSE he's so unlike myself.