Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soph

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 3:32pm Post subject: Episode 2
'Good Morning, Let The Stress Begin' - That sign going into the mine wasn't lying, I found it uncomfortable just sitting back an watching on a screen. I do not envy doing a job like that, they're incredibly brave people and Stephen too. I couldn't of done that, I'm claustrophobic so I'd probably be in a panicky state before I set past the doorway. Most unpleasant. I found that more distressing than the body farm, which didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. What I found most unappealing was the sight of a foot, the fact that it was recent.

Oh, what a drastic change from dead bodies to a bear swaying in a tree straight after. It really was a cute little bear though ! And the Balloon ride ! He was a bit terrified, heh. It amused me so, were the man says calmly 'we're going down to treetop level' and Stephen exclaims 'TREETOP LEVEL ?!' with a slight sound of panic in his voice. xD

I rather enjoy seeing Stephen getting oh so slightly drunk. It wouldn't surprise me if Stephen talked on a whole new level of intelect when drunk. I like to think so anyway. 'I think Stevie should have a lye down.' Heh.
I enjoyed the finale, I haven't seen anything quite like it before. It's seems so unreal to me, but very American. Very funny.

Photobucket

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 3:59am Post subject: Episode 2
I'd take the dead bodies over a balloon any day of the week. Heights freak me the feck out.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 7:54am Post subject: Episode 2
I'd take the dead bodies over a balloon any day of the week. Heights freak me the feck out.

I feel the same, but replace balloon with mines. I hate cramped places.

michael

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 10:10pm Post subject: Episode 2
As requested

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnk yoooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

The Jester

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 12:11am Post subject: Episode 2
They've started showing it on Monday's here in Norway, and I loved every minute of it. The balloon journey was stunningly beautiful, and that speech he made during the Thanksgiving feast...summed up everything I love about Stephen Fry.
Intelligent, funny, kind and so very, very classy.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 11:39pm Post subject: Episode 2
'Good Morning, Let The Stress Begin' - That sign going into the mine wasn't lying, I found it uncomfortable just sitting back an watching on a screen. I do not envy doing a job like that, they're incredibly brave people and Stephen too. I couldn't of done that, I'm claustrophobic so I'd probably be in a panicky state before I set past the doorway. Most unpleasant. I found that more distressing than the body farm, which didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. What I found most unappealing was the sight of a foot, the fact that it was recent.

Dead bodies I could handle but enclosed spaces and heights! *shudder* No thankyou. This is why i don't like aeroplanes. I don't like being trapped and shut up in anything.

I rather enjoy seeing Stephen getting oh so slightly drunk. It wouldn't surprise me if Stephen talked on a whole new level of intelect when drunk. I like to think so anyway. 'I think Stevie should have a lye down.' Heh.

I have a feeling about that too. It would be interesting to hear him talk more when he's like that. He certianly seemed less inhibited and more excitable and letting himself be carried away with his words.

Assuming direct control...

ysabella

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 6:23am Post subject: Episode 2
Finally catching this on YouTube. So enjoyable!

Loved the bluegrass bit. I think that guy played a little bit of Foggy Mountain Breakdown for Stephen. You can see/hear Earl Scruggs playing it on David Letterman, featuring Steve Martin also on banjo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw

There is a nice quick mandolin solo from Marty Stuart there, too.

I've always associated bluegrass with the banjo, but it was actually started by Bill Monroe, a mandolin player from Kentucky, and his band the Blue Grass Boys. Banjo didn't even come into it for 15-20 years.

I've never really enjoyed bluegrass much, but studying mandolin has given me a little more appreciation for it. I think it's probably much more fun to play than to sit around and listen to.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 4:15am Post subject: Episode 2
Just re-watched this episode and I can't believe I missed a bit of misinformation. Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but Stephen said Thanksgiving in America is the third Thursday in November. It's the fourth, this Thursday in fact. Hmm, he also wrote that in the book. *sends Stephen to his room without pumpkin pie*

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ysabella

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 7:41am Post subject: Episode 2
Well, it's the fourth Thursday in November, but if there's no fourth Thursday then it's the third one. Right?

You know, the only time I ever tried that yam stuff with the marshmallows, I didn't like it. I actually like yams themselves, but I didn't like the weird amalgamation. I do want to try making sweet potato pie, though.

Britannicus

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 7:59am Post subject: Episode 2

You know, the only time I ever tried that yam stuff with the marshmallows, I didn't like it. I actually like yams themselves, but I didn't like the weird amalgamation. I do want to try making sweet potato pie, though.

You're not alone in that thinking. That marshmallowy goo is banned from my family home. Some of the extended family likes to endulge in that stuff...but we don't like to talk about them much.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 2:47pm Post subject: Episode 2
Well, it's the fourth Thursday in November, but if there's no fourth Thursday then it's the third one. Right?

How can there only be three Thursdays in a month? Even if the first Thursday was on the 7th, there'd still be one on the 14th, 21th, and 28th.

In Stephen's defense, there were five Thursdays last November, so he might've been cornfuzzled.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

supahz

Posted Sat Jan 17th, 2009 2:15am Post subject: Episode 2
[quote="Fryphile"]In Stephen's defense, there were five Thursdays last November, so he might've been cornfuzzled.

I think this happens every three years... it's called a Confuzzling Thanksgiving. Kind of like a leap year, only totally different.