Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 11:08pm Post subject: Episode 3
Another fantastic episode! Loved the comedy place especially, and the fish catching - "I think yours might just be a little bigger than mine". What I did notice though, more than the other two is the sheer amount of time they took to film the whole thing - the travelling alone is so huge - and the little that is actually shown. Anyone know, start to finish, how long they spent on filming it all?

The look at the prison was particularly haunting; though the kind of thing that you'd never see in Britain, even though it makes so much sense. There are definitely things to appreciate and learn from America and Americans: more than can possibly be covered by this series. But the point is, that I for one am interested to see more, to learn more, about this misunderstood country, or at least its misunderstood inhabitants, and all of their fantastic and unique customs and histories.

Thank you, as ever, Mr Fry and team.

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 11:21pm Post subject: Episode 3
Another fantastic episode! Loved the comedy place especially, and the fish catching - "I think yours might just be a little bigger than mine". What I did notice though, more than the other two is the sheer amount of time they took to film the whole thing - the travelling alone is so huge - and the little that is actually shown. Anyone know, start to finish, how long they spent on filming it all?

The look at the prison was particularly haunting; though the kind of thing that you'd never see in Britain, even though it makes so much sense. There are definitely things to appreciate and learn from America and Americans: more than can possibly be covered by this series. But the point is, that I for one am interested to see more, to learn more, about this misunderstood country, or at least its misunderstood inhabitants, and all of their fantastic and unique customs and histories.

Thank you, as ever, Mr Fry and team.

mp xxxx

If you don't mind me asking, which prison is it and in which state?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 11:29pm Post subject: Episode 3
Ummm, might have to wait for it to be on youtube before I can tell you, because my recollection is not great. I know he said that it was nicknamed 'the farm' because everyone worked on it - it seemed to be at least in part, if not entirely, self sufficient. Which is, as an idea, fantastic; I can't see why we don't do it here, in Britain. Seems to make so much sense.

@dreamingshadow

gadgetgirl

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 11:37pm Post subject: Episode 3
It was in Louisiana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_State_Penitentiary

Another great episode, I particularly laughed at Stephen's reaction the sheep's lady parts! I never fail to be shocked at the devastation in New Orleans.

That would be me.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 11:43pm Post subject: Episode 3
I know he said that it was nicknamed 'the farm' because everyone worked on it - it seemed to be at least in part, if not entirely, self sufficient. Which is, as an idea, fantastic; I can't see why we don't do it here, in Britain. Seems to make so much sense.

"The farm" is the Louisiana State Penitentiary, also known as Angola and it's surrounded on 3 sides by the Mississippi River. Up until the seventies it was a very brutal place. If you've ever seen the film "The Green Mile", that is supposed to be death row on "the farm".

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 11:46pm Post subject: Episode 3

Another great episode, I particularly laughed at Stephen's reaction the sheep's lady parts! I never fail to be shocked at the devastation in New Orleans.

LOL sorry, I took too long to hit submit!

Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 12:16am Post subject: Episode 3
Another fab episode I particularly liked fireman Stephen n polar bear Stephen. And like gadgetgeekgirl loved his reaction to the sheeps girly bits.

amberzak

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 12:25am Post subject: Episode 3
Absolutely love this series so far. I prefered last weeks episode, but it was all still fantastic.

Shirahime

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 5:58pm Post subject: Episode 3

Geeze me mam and I were in stitches at that part. XD Sheep lady bits XD I have to deal with that on a yearly basis come lambing time.

Also the ice fishing bit was freaking me out. I have a problem with water whatever form it's in; solid or liquid. O_o

Mares

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 6:36pm Post subject: Episode 3
It was a good episode. I got a kick out of Stephen's attempting to attach the milking machine doo-hickies to the ewes, and his feeling a bit awkward.

Only have time for a brief comment I'll edit more in later as I'm on break. I was a bit annoyed at the woman who he intereviewed in Louisiana, in the section about voodoo. She put me in mind of the new age and wiccan people who attempt to pillage native spirituality and encorporate it into their rag bag of "spirituality". It is just too disrespectful.

I didn't view the homeless people in Missouri as hobos. They might have stated that they've "chosen" to live on the street, but they don't. It's not unusual for some homeless people, who have felt that they have no way out, no hope, and are being marginalized, to speak out in that way.. they have a sense of pride like the rest of us.. but they don't choose to be destitute and homeless. It's a horrible way to live. Consider the fact that the building they live in, and the others in the area used to be a factory, a meat packing plant, etc... that employed thousands of citizens. Good paying jobs, and there are untold other areas around the US that are now empty, the jobs gone overseas, the former employees long term unemployed, or underemployed. The communities that depended on those workers, the small businesses and others that served them, also went out of business if there weren't enough other workers to keep hose businesses afloat. Many, many American citizens have become homeless because of outsourcing and displacement of jobs. I see it every day where I live in SW Michigan.

There is nothing noble or altruistic in claiming that you're helping to develop other nations, by undeveloping another. Nor is there anything competitive in rationalizing the status quo in undeveloped nations, and imposing it in developed ones.

I enjoyed the ice fishing scenes as well. My late husband used to go ice fishing in the winter. I've heard ice cracking like that and it scared the heck out of me, though it was in southern New England, where they start ice fishing when the ice is just 6".

silentgreybox

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 8:17pm Post subject: Episode 3
I know that everyone's always asking questions about the music but I have one now. Does anybody know the music that plays over the closing credits of episode 3? It could just be an original piece written for the series but either way it was quite beautiful, really reminds me of the fantastic music in the Coen Brothers' "Fargo." I hope it wasn't original since that makes it easier to get my hands on.

Speaking of music, I do adore that song "ohio" by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. My favorite song of pure indignation when I was a teenager.

I particularly enjoyed this episode because it's the first time Mr. Fry has visited an area of the country I've never been to: the Midwest. I loved when Morgan Freeman told Stephen he was sounding like Barack obama, brought him down from his pleonastic heights. I mean I love Stephen's little speeches but there's a time and a place, and sitting on a sofa outside a bar is a time for simple and succinct conversation.

Great program!

oh, and speaking of obama. Let's get out and vote next week my fellow Americans here in the forum!!

monochromeprincess

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 8:43pm Post subject: Episode 3
oh, and speaking of obama. Let's get out and vote next week my fellow Americans here in the forum!!

And when you do, vote for all those in Europe and the rest of the world, that are screaming out for Barack Obama, and seeing the presidential election as almost as easy to judge and farcical as a Disney film with good on one side, and the decrepid, evil hearted villain with his she-devil on the other.

@dreamingshadow

j9r

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 10:15pm Post subject: Episode 3

And when you do, vote for all those in Europe and the rest of the world, that are screaming out for Barack Obama, and seeing the presidential election as almost as easy to judge and farcical as a Disney film with good on one side, and the decrepid, evil hearted villain with his she-devil on the other.

I have done my part, almost wish I could move back to Pennsylvania to vote there instead of Calif. where he is going to win easily. I know some European's I have spoken to seem a little confused on why the electorial college thing exists. But it goes back to the point of the show, America is like 50 small countries, each distinct and unique, with their own rules (many laws are different in each one) and culture. And therefore the president has to win a majority in 50 separate elections. I don't understand the thinking of the ones in the middle but I don't see myself living there either. Need oceans close by.......

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 11:19pm Post subject: Episode 3
My voting card is now in my wallet via the desk drawer and fridge door.

Walt Whitman

j9r

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 11:26pm Post subject: Episode 3
got to watch the episode - thanks to whomever is posting on youtube.

Minnesota in the winter, my bones hurt at the thought not to mention the frozen lung tissue. Can't wait until Alaska if he was making comments about MN and cold.

This show could have been 3. One hour to cover thousands of miles. It is a shame so many states have to be barely a passing mention, like Alabama, and there is so much to Missouri beside Saint Louis. But I have to remind myself that this is not for Americans so it is supposed to be a brief introduction to the county.

It was nice to see by the end he was using the arm, I was worried how much he could do with it.

The blues in all its forms, Morgan on the couch outside the club, wished I could have sat there with them all night long, drinking, listen to the delta blues and shootin' shit.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka