Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Nov 9th, 2008 11:15pm Post subject: Episode 5
Ah, another great episode.
A bit more relaxed this time, don't you think? It seemed very much at the start to be more like 'On the road in America with Stephen Fry' - and it was nice, momentarily, to bask in the delights of the awe-inspiring scenery, and really take a moment to appreciate what must be so often overlooked.

I don't think I need to say anything more than 'jacuzzi'. I think it'll suffice. X-D

Loved the series of images to show the passing of day - such beautiful sights given freely to us by nature. And the cooking breakfast was so sweet.

Loving all the landscape - but it can't help, at times, seem a little spooky and even melancholy (though not as much as the river on one of the other episodes); maybe that's just because there are so many shots of Mr Fry walking by himself, and it tends to remind me of Kingdom, and SLOTMD, I don't know. Bit of a tangent.

I simply loved the Western sketchette :D. Using the return of the cowboy hat to full effect there, I feel. Happy faces

And the spy hunt in Las Vegas. I love all the theatrical parts of this episode (to attach to the comedy store type thing of one of the other eps). And bless for not being able to hide his mole-ishness.

A major lol at that brothel (who else thought of 'I don't like the word 'brothel'. I prefer 'brothels'. Yes, this sir, is a 'brothels'?). I can't say I'd want to put 'courtesan of the year' on my mantlepiece. An interesting look at the possibilities of legalisation and breaking taboos. Although 'dick check', LMAO.

Waah, last one next week!!! No!!! Well it has been a fantastic series, and extremely entertaining viewing. Yey.

mp xxxx [/i]

@dreamingshadow

Fiona

Posted Sun Nov 9th, 2008 11:19pm Post subject: Episode 5
It's on an hour and a half later this week in Scotland but that definately sounds very interesting...

gjhsu

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 5:09pm Post subject: Episode 5
I have not seen Mr. Fry nearly as excited about things as much as talking to that scientist with the electron microscope

Queen Marge

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 5:44pm Post subject: Episode 5
I loved the cowboy shoot out bit, very High Noon! X-D

Blogmeister

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 8:03pm Post subject: Episode 5
Definitely the best episode so far, and while the segments were still far too short the episode 'flowed' so much better.

I would still love to see at least half an hour given to each state though!

Desdemona

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 9:14pm Post subject: Episode 5
Mr Fry died...
3 times apparently. i doubt he will ever die.
it was one of the more relaxed episodes, it felt like nothing had to be rushed.
though i did find myself shouting at the TV for him to take off his cowboy hat so i could see his face properly.

Skip Life and come with me?

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 9:18pm Post subject: Episode 5
Definitely the best episode yet! I was in fits of laughter. The cowboy outfit and ensuing scene were fantastic!!! I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life. "Ooh that hurt. I think I may be having to have a death scene. Oh sweet mother of mercy, is this the end of Stephen Fry?!" Brilliant!
Loved the hot tub bit and the bit in the brothel (how uncomfortable was that?!). And the yellow shirt/black shorts/red neckerchief combination! Really brilliant episode, as always!

Last one next week, oh no!!!!!!! :'(

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 10:20pm Post subject: Episode 5
Halfway through and I have to say: Most. Screencapable. Episode. Evaaarr!

That would be me.

gjhsu

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 10:31pm Post subject: Episode 5
and the bit in the brothel (how uncomfortable was that?!).

That lady-girl REALLY loves a snog

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 11:06pm Post subject: Episode 5
Halfway through and I have to say: Most. Screencapable. Episode. Evaaarr! At the end and I still think this. OMG the brothel...

That would be me.

j9r

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 12:41am Post subject: Episode 5
Thoughts....

He seemed so happy in the geek land that is Los Alamos. He was in his element. Used big words and didn't get blank stares like the mormon gave him.

Mormon pin-up calendar-wrong on so many levels.

He really doesn't know what to do with girllie part be they on sheep or prostitutes, just uncomfortable around them.

I really dislike Vegas, and hate those team building-role playing games even more, put them together and welcome to my nightmare. Though the boys were funny.

He ended the show in my neighborhood, next week San Francisco.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 2:19am Post subject: Episode 5
He seemed so happy in the geek land that is Los Alamos. He was in his element. Used big words and didn't get blank stares like the mormon gave him.
I was thinking the same thing.

This was such a fun episode! The western shoot out, more CowboyHat!Stephen, even some Cowboy!Stephen, HotTub!Stephen and of course Nerdy!Stephen. By the way, I've decided we need to see more CowboyHat!Stephen because it just makes him all kinds of Uber-adorable.

I enjoyed the brothel stuff just to see how squiggly Stephen could get, but I'd probably would have found it more interesting had I not seen the HBO reality series about another brothel there in Nevada. The Bunny Ranch, or something like that. It's...an interesting show that's for sure, in an odd enjoyable train wreck kind of way.

The desert portion was simply amazing. I traveled there with my family when we headed to Yellowstone, going through Arizona and up to Las Vegas. I think I would have more of an appreciation for it now than I did when I was 12, so I'm hoping I can get myself back that way.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 3:59am Post subject: Episode 5
We're sorry. This user got halfway through the episode and fucking died. We're hoping to restore him to an upright position. . . erm, sorry. We mean we hope to bazooka blast that smile off his face and get him back to full working order as soon as possible. Srsly.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Nitro

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 5:21am Post subject: Episode 5
I'll make a comment though I might take a little heat for this. Gulp...

In general, I think the series suffers from a little bad editing. Hopefully I won't have to put on a flame retardant suit for saying that here X-D But, I can't help but wonder what wound up on the cutting room floor.

I would've liked to see a brief meeting with Heidi Fleiss ( yes, I just wrote that ) in parallel with the Mustang Ranch. The reason being is that, last I heard anyway, this also infamous 'madam' is working to open her own brothel there, but one staffed with male prostitutes and catering primarily to women. Personally, I'm not sure why LV got as much coverage as it did. Is it lacking for exposure over in Europe or is it a city of high interest there?

Also, I'm curious as to why the state of California is going to have several episodes dedicated to it where so many other states got blip coverage. And I'm saying that as a California native. No axe to grind against my home state really. X-D Or, maybe I didn't understand what was said at the end of the sixth episode in the fifth installment of the series.

Really? Wow.

gjhsu

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 6:36am Post subject: Episode 5
I believe the 6th episode is the last of the documentary, and will cover California, Oregon, Washington State, Alaska, and finally, Hawaii.