Hated By The Daily Mail

The most laughable element of the Mail’s weird outburst today is the way that the paper wants its readers, whoever the poor darlings may be, to see agnosticism, atheism, humanism and secularism as ‘fashionable’ and ‘established’ and therefore to figure themselves as maverick outsiders storming the ramparts of the liberal establishment.Yeah, right.

Actually, that’s not true, the most laughable element is their outrage at the idea we signatories are not being very hospitable to a visitor from overseas.

Let us think for a moment about the richness of that before we vomit with laughter. The Daily Mail if you please, wagging its finger about kindness to visitors from overseas and hospitality to foreigners in our midst.

Maybe funnier even than that is the happy circumstance that the daily giveaway on the front page today is a DVD by that proud atheist David Attenborough, who recently revealed the hate-mail and threats he has received over the years from those who do not believe in Darwinian science.

Because I have a theological turn of mind, the people I feel most sorry for, and always have, are those who work for the paper. I have never met a Mail journalist whose first words weren’t an apology. “We’re not all Paul Dacre types….” they mournfully beg us to believe. Well, leave before it’s too late! Just imagine that there really is a St Peter to greet you after death. Suppose he asks what you did with your life, your mind, your heart, your whole being and your immortal soul and that you have to reply you that wrote for the Daily Mail. Wow!

If I am “pompous”, “egregious and self-satisfied”, all failings of mine that especially upset the poor leader-writer, it is because I have the right to that Hated By The Daily Mail badge. More than a CBE or honorary degree it tells me, and forgive my lack of modesty, that I am decent, clean, kind, thoughtful and honourable.

x Stephen

Pages: single page< 1 2

This blog was posted in General and Miniblog Related topics: , and

70 comments on “Hated By The Daily Mail”

1. RobWooding says:

‘Hated by the Daily Mail’ love it! That would make a great tattoo.

2. Bonnie Big Knickers says:

What a bunch of twats. I tried to think of something more eloquent, but I couldn’t.

3. Gateaufabulous says:

I wonder if they even recognise the irony of accusing you of leading a hate campaign?

I agree, “Hated by the Daily Mail” would make an excellent tattoo.

4. Whirlochre says:

Personally, I find it astonishing beyond the bounds of any DM Astonishment Threshold that anyone could ever have supplanted Ozzy Osbourne as the Antichrist with so spectacularly poncey a hairdo.

What year is this, btw?

5. nonoyesyes says:

Thank you for allowing a fighting chance for my comemnt. Much appreciated.

6. LeglessCats says:

I’m only seeing this from further away, so it’s slightly possible I’ve missed something, but I really don’t understand. I don’t even see any parallels back to the point where they started making things up. As far as I saw, everything was sincerely and admirably polite. (I could have missed the call to hateful, genocidal, atheist arms as a stupid atheist foreigner. Don’t think I did.) So really…what up with that, Daily Mail? Anyone?

The really sad part is that the Fry in the middle of this is pretty awesome and happens to be a real person with his own feelings and reactions. I quite adore that Stephen for being such a benevolent dude. (On the other hand, this particular waste of trees usually doesn’t enter my personal radar. ha!) Thanks for being so great.

7. Soupy Twist says:

*Applause*
    What an honour to own that badge. The German equivalent should be “Gehasst von BILD” (another organ of infamy, intolerance and ignorance). Let this be my aim, to live a life worthy of a badge like this.

8. tmidir says:

I’m a Christian and I will fight for your right, Mr Fry, to be yourself and state your personal beliefs in the dignified, educated and thoughtful way that you do. It is a joy to disagree theologically with you in a respectful loving way! You add colour to my day and more than the odd giggle and smile!

9. Bobble says:

All Stephen said was that he didn’t think the visit should be funded by the tax payer and most tax payers agree with him. Hate campaign? Don’t think so.

10. Gordon_Keenan says:

Looks like “Times on Sunday” has decided to have a right old dig at you as well!
    (If there was a God) help us, if anything happens to the Pope on his travels as you will be blamed in it at some point! Ah well, any press has to be seen as good press when you have a book on the go! Doh! and of course the TOS has a dig about that as well Tsk Tsk…. what a weird world we live in!

Cue another badge methinks Mr Fry!

Love it!

11. Student_of_Socrates says:

Dear wonderful Stephen

A brilliant piece, as always. Please note that you have misspelt that other great man in my life Christopher Hitchens’ name. His surname only has one “i”.

With admiration,

Your fellow student of Socrates

PS: Sorry, my previous post had two major typos in it. Hence this repeat.

12. reheller says:

How interesting that some “journalists” like those of the UK’s DM seem to be unable to read. Or unwilling to think. If I was a catholic believer I would not be proud of these lies that show up as “defense” for the pope’s state visit.

Thank you, Mr Fry, for thinking, writing, speaking as a critical mind! And yes you deserve that badge.

@tmidir: well spoken!

13. MacElena says:

Thank you Steven Fry, jolly good badge!

14. Kamagrian says:

Having followed you and enjoyed your work for a good while now, I finally registered today because you’ve risen even higher in my estimation. Why? Because as you stated above, anyone THAT hated by the reprehensible and unprincipled “journalists” who work the Daily Hate must be a Top Banana Person.

My respects, Mr. Fry.

15. Tia says:

Hahaha! Hated by the Daily Mail. That is really great. We (over here in Germany) only have the “BILD-Zeitung”, which is IMO a disgusting kind of sh*t. Even dead fish is too worthy to wrap it in. And the BILD also allies with the catholic church whenever it wants to. But I found it very interessting to follow the whole lively discussion in the British newspapers about the Pope visit. Here in Germany they (all kinds of newspapers) are always very exited when the Pope visits his homeland. The critical voices opposite to the Catholic Church and the Pope himself aren’t strong engough to be heard during such occasions. Hence I enjoyed to follow this refreshing debate!!

16. RickHick says:

Sympathies for you Mr. Fry. Although, the absurdity of thinking you would, even if you wanted to, lead a hate campaign is enough to make most people raise a chuckle.

17. Boog says:

I almost felt sorry for the Arch Bishop and the MP in the televised debate … lambs to the slaughter. Mind you, I think I’d feel uncomfortable debating that water is wet if I had to go up against the formidable intellects of Mr. Fry and Mr. Hitchins.

A friend of mine once answered his door only to be accosted by a couple of Christian nutcases bent on his “salvation”. My friend listened to what they had to say, and then told them he wasn’t interested. One of the proselytizers then asked him, “since you won’t be converted, what are you going to say to God at the gates of heaven.” My friend said simply, “I’ll tell him that next time he should send better people.”

18. Christine Pennock says:

As a Protestant I done see why I or any other Protestant should pay for the Papal visit. I didn’t want him to come as he was one of Hitler’s followers and I think this is an insult to all the people who fought in the war to rid the world of Hitler and his ilk and I also think it’s an insult to the British Jewish Community after all Hitler and his mob have done to the Jew’s all over the world.

19. miss_everafter says:

Wow and I thought Australian “current affairs” television journalism was bad, that Daily Mail article is gold!

20. JessicaLyn says:

Sounds like being hated by the Daily Mail is really an honor. Wear your badge proudly!!!

From a friend across the pond in Sunny Florida!

:) Jess