Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

fryfan20

Posted Sat Sep 27th, 2008 6:16pm Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
I have just read this column and he is so right (!)
about a year ago I've bought a URC (don't remember what brand it was and I also don't care) because our remote control was broken (fall on the ground just one time to much) and after 2 hours of trying to make it work I gave up. then my dad tried (he knows what to do with these technical things) but he couldn't make the damn thing work either.
we only asked it to control our TV, and even that the thing couldn't do.
so, the only thing that the URC did in our house is laying in a draw, collecting dust.

I am what I am

IdeaCollector

Posted Sun Sep 28th, 2008 5:47pm Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
good to know b/c the controller on one of my sets is having a tough time acknowledging its batteries so i was considering a URC...i'll not waste my time now

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

radioactiveduck

Posted Sun Sep 28th, 2008 7:30pm Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
Definately useless. The one I had didn't work at all. No sign of life what so ever. After that I just completely gave up on them.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Sep 29th, 2008 8:26am Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
They're a waste of time but then I find technology that tries to multi-task a waste of space. Take vhs-dvd combined players. Rubbish and inferior. I prefer to just buy them separately. It's like with video game consoles. I just want to play games on them. Not watch films. Not access the internet. I have better products that can do that like oh you know a computer. I'm just not big on that stuff. When I want to listen to music I'll get my iPod out not my mobile.

Assuming direct control...

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Sep 29th, 2008 5:32pm Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
I love my VCR/DVD player but then again when I can afford it I like technology. I'm currently coveting in the worst way (which btw is standing up in a canoe) a regionless DVD player so I can buy everything legit and watch them instead of shirking the system b/c it was never transferred to Region 1.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

ClareBear

Posted Mon Sep 29th, 2008 7:02pm Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
I've got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-DVP3140-CODEFREE-COU.....amp;sr=8-2

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Sep 29th, 2008 8:26pm Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
ooo thats a lovely one clare... and about $25 or so cheaper than the one i was looking at. thanks!

stephenfryagain

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 5:09pm Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
I have a universal remote and its great it works really well! its this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kameleon-8-way-Remote-Control/dp/B000JUCGDK
except mine has an american accent!

Chris Frost

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 12:12am Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
I'm a fan, but as with so many things it's simply a three sided equation:

........................money
.......................^ .......... ^
....................../................\
...................../..................\
..................../....................\
.................../......................\
..................v.......................v
functionality <--------> expectation

Nitro

Posted Thu Mar 19th, 2009 1:11am Post subject: URC: Universal Remote Control or Useless Rotten Crud
They're a waste of time but then I find technology that tries to multi-task a waste of space. Take vhs-dvd combined players. Rubbish and inferior. I prefer to just buy them separately. It's like with video game consoles. I just want to play games on them. Not watch films. Not access the internet. I have better products that can do that like oh you know a computer. I'm just not big on that stuff. When I want to listen to music I'll get my iPod out not my mobile.

Amyl!! I'm building an altar to your superior intellect at this very moment. If you were running for leader of the free world and all universes I would vote for you instantly! Please take yourself out for a fancy dinner immediately!

Really? Wow.